Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to find the owners manual online because the one they give you at the dealer doesn't mention anything about the Automatic Transmission that I could find. This feature is pretty nice and needs to be explained a little bit to understand as I had never used one like it before.

If you don't already have the manual I would recommend it.

Just do a google search for:

jeep renegade owners manual

First link is the 668 page pdf file.

Under starting and operating you will find out more on using this feature.

AutoStick
AutoStick is a driver-interactive transmission feature
providing manual shift control, giving you more control
of the vehicle. AutoStick allows you to maximize engine
braking, eliminate undesirable upshifts and downshifts,
and improve overall vehicle performance. This system
can also provide you with more control during passing,
city driving, cold slippery conditions, mountain driving,
and many other situations.

·
Registered
91 Posts
AutoStick is a driver-interactive transmission feature providing manual shift control, giving you more control
of the vehicle. AutoStick allows you to maximize engine
braking, eliminate undesirable upshifts and downshifts,
and improve overall vehicle performance. This system
can also provide you with more control during passing,
city driving, cold slippery conditions, mountain driving,
and many other situations.
lol. Jeep letting you know how much better a manual transmission is. Someone has a sense of humor at FCA.

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
What it doesn't say is the driver can merely suggest a gear. All suggestions must be approved by the transmission itself.
Suggestion might be too strong a word. My last car was a shiftable auto, it'd let you make all sorts of bad decisions. This one won't even let you make rational ones half the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transmission has to be warmed up first so don't try it right after starting up.

First gear is probably to low so just start off in 2 then you can work your way up to seven pretty quick, although I have the 9 speed transmission I've only been able to shift up to 7 then go to drive.

Seems to work similar to a stick shift without the clutch. The gear your in shows up on the dashboard by the temp.

It takes some practice to get comfortable with it and I would recommend not starting off doing it in heavy traffic.

If your in drive say going 40 mph you can push it over into AutoStick and it will be in the gear your at at that time then if your slowing down you can down shift.

The manual said it was actually good for the transmission to use it so don't be afraid to try it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to manually shift the gear when your in AutoStick.

You just let off the gas and tap the shifter down check the dashboard that your in next gear and go again.

Repeat as needed shift down to go to higher gear or shift up to go to lower gear.

The + or - signs in AutoStick.

This is different then any automatic I've ever driven of course I haven't drove them all.

Might be to difficult for some drivers...lol

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I use the AutoStick a lot. I had a chevy malibu (paddles) and a VW with it but the Renegade AutoStick is much smoother than they were. I have driven stick basically all my life and I still enjoy shifting, even though I don't need to use a clutch anymore and I think the gas mileage is better using the AutoStick. You need to get up to about 73mph to get it into 9th with the AutoStick.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
But the autostick is not nearly as much fun for me as a real manual transmission. Whenever I drive the Renegade, I miss the shifting while driving. For me, there really isn't any point in using the autostick on a regular basis because it just isn't as much fun.

The Renegade autostick does work well though. I only use it when I want to put it in a gear that I think it should be in. Such as while climbing this particular hill, the auto mode keeps a higher gear turning which gets annoying. In this case I quickly bump over to autostick and pull it down to the next gear and continue.

I have also noticed that while lightly braking down this same hill with a slight curve, the auto mode will downshift and keep too low of a gear winding the engine a bit too much for my enjoyment. I'll use the autostick to keep it in the gear I want (usally 5th) and just roll down the long hill at about 40 mph (the speed limit).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
True, not quite as much fun, but being old I don't miss the clutch that much. :) Being in the right gear to me is the important part. I am really impressed how smooth the transmission shifts when using the AutoStick. The placement of the shift lever and the short throw really works for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think its fun too as it gives you more options while driving and like you say its impressive in how smooth it actually operates and preforms like a stick shift.

Its like having an automatic and manual transmission together and can use either one anytime it suits you.

Most manual vehicles have 4-5 gears it seems and this has 9 so you don't spend as much time in one gear as you would in say other jeeps.

So you have to think fast and are in a changing situation if it gets to be to much you can just easily put it back in D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.