Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the majority of my driving life, I only had cloth seats once, the rest have been leather seats or what is marketed as leather. (Could be pleather or faux leather. Who knows.)

As I was reading this article titled "9 Reasons you should never get leather seats in your car" I am left wondering if it is still worth getting leather.

I noticed after 8 years with my current suv that the leather seats are not as nice looking as they once were. (But that's mainly my fault for not conditioning them every few months). Still, I am left to wonder if cloth wouldn't have better.

The article is quite long so I'll list the 9 points here. (The article goes into more detail about each point).

1. That infamous "leather smell" is totally fake.
2. You don't usually get your money's worth.
3. Leather maintenance is actually a lot of work. (<-- my problem)
4. Nothing looks worse than worn-out leather seats. (<-- starting to see this)
5. Leather’s pretty heavy (<-- could be an issue with the already heavy Renegade)
6. Most cars are outfitted with crappy leather, anyway.
7. You’ll slide around all awkwardly.
8. It's always too hot or too cold.
9. It’s not even that comfortable! (Usually).

So what are your opinions about having leather seats or cloth seats?

TS

·
Registered
499 Posts
1. That infamous "leather smell" is totally fake.
2. You don't usually get your money's worth.
3. Leather maintenance is actually a lot of work. (<-- my problem)
4. Nothing looks worse than worn-out leather seats. (<-- starting to see this)
5. Leather’s pretty heavy (<-- could be an issue with the already heavy Renegade)
6. Most cars are outfitted with crappy leather, anyway.
7. You’ll slide around all awkwardly.
8. It's always too hot or too cold.
9. It’s not even that comfortable! (Usually).
OK let me give this a shot - twospirits, this is not a direct response to you personally, please do not take it as such. Just responding to the points in general.

1. I don't buy leather for the smell, be it a jacket, wallet, briefcase, couch, or car interior. So no comment on this.
2. Let me correct that - you don't usually get your money worth on *any* car option. If you want to get your money's worth on cars, there are maybe two brands you can work with. Any other brand you choose, you're really already outside of that discussion.
3. Leather is actually less maintenance for me - it's very easy to keep a leather interior clean. If you don't believe me, then you haven't owned a leather appointed vehicle with toddlers or dogs.
4. Worn out cloth looks just as bad as worn out leather, I can send you pictures of my '99 XJ's interior as proof ;)
5. I don't even know how to respond to this - if the performance envelope of your vehicle requires consideration of the weight of the interior appointments, you probably need to do a weigh-in and diet check before each trip!
6. Can't speak to this one - but if you use the law of averages, then yeah, most cars on the road today are not of higher-tier, and therefore, use lesser quality equipment. You can use that same argument for anything though - most cars are outfitted with crappy entertainment systems and sound systems. Doesn't mean it's not worth getting one.
7. Yeah, if you're still driving around in an 80's Buick. Anything made in the last couple of decades has form-hugging contoured seats, be they cloth or leather.
8. I'll give you this - wearing shorts on leather isn't the greatest feeling in the world. Heated/Cooled seats solve that problem either way.
9. I'll call bullshit on this one.

twospirits - again, please don't take this as a personal response to you. I'm just responding to the article.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have leather seats in my current car, a Kia Sportage. Never again. They look pretty rough. I told the Jeep dealership to find me a Renagade with cloth.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twospirits - again, please don't take this as a personal response to you. I'm just responding to the article.
I didn't take it as such. Besides I have skin as tough as leather (no pun intended).
:D

Yeah , its why I brought up the article points. Actually I really didn't post my thoughts of each point, so here goes.
1-I actually like that smell, but could be confusing it with new car smell.
2-Probably true but that ends up being a totally separate topic all its own.
3-I agree but mainly because leather is what I've had for most of my driving life. But I do remember the cloth in the Mazda being a pain to keep clean too.
4-Debatable since I think if one doesn't maintain it (like me) it will look like crap anyway.
5-I have no comment but only going by what they said in the article.
6-I disagree.
7-Cloth Leather, doesn't matter. Unless one wears velcro lol
8-I agree.
9-I disagree.

TS

·
Registered
471 Posts
Leather over cloth for me any day. My Escape is 15 years old & leather still looks good, & that's with dogs. For me it is more comfortable than cloth. I live in AZ & yes they are hot in the summer, but that's what my gel seat cushion is for!

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Most leather seats have Avery minimal amount of leather. Even less use decent leather. Leather is much more resistant to crumbs and most spills IMO. Cloth doesn't get skin searingly hot. Leather cracks and flakes as it ages, cloth stains and fades.

I avoid leather. For me it comes down to the skin searing bit and the price. It's usually quite pricey for what is largely going to be a synthetic upholstery option, and often the materials are cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
leather for the dog hair (and slobber). that far outweighs the other 9.

i haven't had trouble with too hot or too cold yet, but i always keep a towel in the car anyway. i'll just sit on that if it's too much.

i didn't know leather conditioning is a thing i was supposed to do, but i'll get some sometime and do that for maintenance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
we have leather, and will not go back to cloth. my wife held out until she could find the one she wanted, waited a couple months. Heated leather seats, more comfortable than cloth. ya, they get a little hot sometimes. I used to live in AZ and had leather.

just wish the Renegade had the cooling option that my Ram has, and so does my wife.

Reactions: Ronda

·
Registered
116 Posts
Guess I am in the minority, but I prefer cloth seats.
To me, more comfortable regardless of weather conditions.
the TH has nice look to the cloth ones as well.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have a 6 year old Kia sorento with leather seats. It has done 80,000 miles and the seats look almost as new. they get a wipe with a damp cloth a couple of times a year. I have never felt I was sliding around in the seats. This is my first car with leather seats. I will never have cloth again.
Having said that, I live in Scotland so heat is seldom an issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Leather for colder weather, cloth for hot. I live in Northern California on the coast, so leather works better here & is what's in my TH. I used to live in Hawaii & southeast Arizona, would go with cloth if I still lived in either of those places.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just look up "difference between leather, genuine leather, and calfskin". Seeing as a calfskin wallet cost over $100 (for a non-fashion oriented brand), tell me what you think you're really getting in the car. Had an SLK with leather. Never again for me too. Looked fine. Hated sitting on it. I wear suits and drive 40,000 miles a year. Give me whatever breathes the best. Cow skin dust and glue are not it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am thrilled to have leather seats. I like how they look and feel.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Cloth seats for me! I agree with everything in that article.

There isn't one single thing that I like about leather seats. If you're wearing shorts, leather can stick to your legs and is just generally uncomfortable. It's hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. I'll never buy another car with leather.

My wife's car that I gave to my Son-in-law is a Lexus (1997) which presumably has good quality leather. After 10 years, the leather looked horrible. It's even worse now and makes the car look like a piece of crap. I seldom drove that car but was never comfortable when I did drive it. I'm glad it's not in my driveway anymore.

My old car that I gave my Son has over 230,000 miles (also a 1997) and its cloth seats still look good today.

The cloth seats in my 2009 Challenger looked new when I traded it. My new Challenger and my Renegade both have cloth seats and I really like the material in both cars.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am in agreement with Raz-O on the price. I really don't have a problem in general with leather and it depends on if they use quality leather in how it will end up looking. But for me the extra $750 ( I already have the keyless go added) just isn't worth it. And Jeep is calling it Lux-Leather. To me that seems like another term for Faux Leather. Now please understand I am now saying I wouldn't have a Renegade with it. I just didn't want to spend the extra money for something I really didn't care about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will ALWAYS take cloth over leather seats any day. I grew up in the south and the back of my legs use to get burned as a child as I sat in my parents' cars. I buy cloth and then buy a seat cover to protect it and keep it looking new.

On a different note, those white seats with brown trim in the Renny's are U-G-L-Y!! Who the heck came up with that combination and what were they thinking?? :confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's a damned good thing this is an option for us. This is clearly a polarizing topic.

Manual transmission or engine choice in the other hand, I wish Jeep allowed us to choose those regardless of trim. As a matter of preference, I go with manual transmission unless it's a luxury car, but I don't get to choose that on the Trailhawk.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On a different note, those white seats with brown trim in the Renny's are U-G-L-Y!! Who the heck came up with that combination and what were they thinking?? :confused:
Now, see, I was wondering where that tricolor option was for ordering. So unique, and would look great with my Omaha Orange.

I still might hunt down seatcovers with that color scheme.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used to think leather was just a status symbol thing... then I got a Ford Escape Limited in 2006 (it was a 2005 model) and realized that they just hold up better and are much, much, much easier to keep clean. I think any light interior will get dingy, but as far as random stains, dirt and other things, leather is easy to clean and with the way seats are made today (few bench seats), holds up much better. Tis' why I ordered a TH with leather (though would have preferred the leather from the limited without the "TrailHawk" stitched across it - would also have preferred nickle bezels, instead of the red, but I like understated).

·
Registered
31 Posts
My TH is my first car with leather. I just got tired of constantly having cat hair entwined in my cloth seats. Don't generally wear shorts, so hopefully the searing skin won't be an issue. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts