Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cloth always

I live in Arizona where this time of year its 110 to 120 outside and quickly gets to 30/50 degrees hotter in the car. Not a good environment for leather (and I agree with all the other reasons for not having it). I have a 12 year old pt Cruiser with cloth seats that look like the day it was made. The reason I did not even consider many other small cuvs is that as soon as you go up a trim level you get leather so they never got a glance. Thanks Jeep for giving me options. (I don't have the Renegade yet - its been JB for 5 weeks now.)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I chose a Longitude and not the Limited. Don't need leather and hot/cold in summer/winter. Our summers aren't the hottest, but you still stick to hot leather. Our winters aren't the coldest but leather still feels cold.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is the main reason I special ordered the Trailhawk, I couldnt find heated seats with the other options I wanted anywhere.
I only wanted one option package on my North--the "Cold Weather Group," which includes heated seats, heated steering wheel, and an auxiliary interior heater, among other things. Might not be available in the US.

Cloth seats, BTW. Nothing against leather, but I'm not going to pay extra for it--expecially when I'm pretty sure most automotive leather is synthetic.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've had vehicles with vinyl (70's) cloth and leather seats and I'm definitely in the '**** Bent For Leather' camp (sorry ..Judas Priest reference). Easy to clean and smell nice. I do use leather conditioner (like hide food) to keep them supple.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For the majority of my driving life, I only had cloth seats once, the rest have been leather seats or what is marketed as leather. (Could be pleather or faux leather. Who knows.)

As I was reading this article titled "9 Reasons you should never get leather seats in your car" I am left wondering if it is still worth getting leather.

I noticed after 8 years with my current suv that the leather seats are not as nice looking as they once were. (But that's mainly my fault for not conditioning them every few months). Still, I am left to wonder if cloth wouldn't have better.

The article is quite long so I'll list the 9 points here. (The article goes into more detail about each point).

1. That infamous "leather smell" is totally fake.
2. You don't usually get your money's worth.
3. Leather maintenance is actually a lot of work. (<-- my problem)
4. Nothing looks worse than worn-out leather seats. (<-- starting to see this)
5. Leather’s pretty heavy (<-- could be an issue with the already heavy Renegade)
6. Most cars are outfitted with crappy leather, anyway.
7. You’ll slide around all awkwardly.
8. It's always too hot or too cold.
9. It’s not even that comfortable! (Usually).

So what are your opinions about having leather seats or cloth seats?

TS
Going on five years and 102,000+ miles and my leather seats are holding up pretty well. No maintenance to speak of. I think I've used leather wipes on them twice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I do not have any too any too hot a cold issues with my leather seats. At 67k, my seat still look like new, -ish. lol

41 - 47 of 47 Posts