Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shifting my automatic into neutral while I’m waiting at a long light or I’m in drive thru seems, to only me, to be beneficial Somehow in my mind. I haven’t felt any difference in shifts or if my mpg goes up or down. Just curious if anyone else does this too.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't do it, don't want to forget (I'm old :mad:) to put it back in gear and get rear ended. Actually when I drive a manual transmission I sometimes put in neutral, feels more normal to do it with a manual transmission than with an automatic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't do it, don't want to forget (I'm old :mad:) to put it back in gear and get rear ended. Actually when I drive a manual transmission I sometimes put in neutral, feels more normal to do it with a manual transmission than with an automatic.
Back then when I loved driving vehicles with a manual transmission, I’d leave it in neutral all the time. I’m sure in the back of my mind I still feel like I’m driving a manual transmission sometimes and just throw it into neutral whenever I’m stopped for a long periods of time.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I will at times (have in the past) apply the emergency brake. Come up to a known long light, stop, leave the transmission in drive, apply the emergency brake and rest my feet.
Just tap the gas and the emergency brake will release itself, and then drive away... grin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do this all the time if the start / stop doesn't kick in (because the engine is cold or there is load on the battery) when stopped. The engine note also changes when in neutral and idles much lower, I really don't think holding any car in gear for more than several seconds can be good for the gearbox.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ok lets go!!!

Manual cars when stopped at lights etc I was always taught to go into neutral and apply the handbrake. I still do that after 37 years of driving. But what do you do on a hill or when parking on a hill?

• Facing downhill, park in reverse and apply the hand brake, turn wheels to face the kerb. The kerb acts as an additional brake within a couple of inches. Failure to do so can result in penalty points if the vehicke rolls off
  • Facing uphill, park in 1st gear and apply the handbrake, turn wheels away from the kerb, car rolls backwards, kerb acts as a brake. Failure to do so can result in penalty points if the vehicke rolls off.
However in my 1st car with an automatic brake ie my Renny., I pull up, stop, brake on and into neutral. Traffic lights change, select 1st gear as IDMOR suggests above and I pull away as the automatic brake releases. Strangely I still do the same on my driveway with a very slight reverse incline.

Then that dreaded automatic. At traffic lights I was selfish and blinded drivers behind me as I sat in DRIVE with my foot on the brake. I was too lazy to go into neutral and then switch to drive, afterall its its an automatic. Then I learned its bad for the car to go into neutral then drive on a continuous basis. Wether that is correct I am unsure but I followed it religiously.

When parking I always sat in PARK and handbrake on.

It reminds me of an incident 30 years ago as a trainee Firefighter. I entered a burning automatic car for the first time in a domestic garage and was instructed to remove the handbrake and putt he car from PARK into REVERSE. Being duly obedient I complied. Then the car starts reversing by its own accord and I nearly ran over someone. Everyone shouting BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE!!!

How was I meant to know that an automatic moves itself as soon as it's in gear :eek::oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts