Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There isn't any obvious place to do this, so I'm doing it here :)

Today I sold my Renegade to finance a Kona Electric. So although I may pop-in here for a look sometimes my contributions will decline.

I'd intended to shift the Rene at the end of the year-ish, before the warranty expired, as I'm not that happy with it. It never let me down but had a significant rate of stupid warnings (mainly parking brake and side distance faults), some horrible software (eg. the parking sensors) and a few other niggles (big A pillar blind-spot), each of which which annoyed me and/or made me a bit mistrustful of it.

I've had a hankering for an EV for some time and the Kona is the first in price, availability and type to have enough range to cope with the currently spotty (aka terrible) UK public charging infrastructure. So back in January when there was a 10 month waiting list I put my name down for one - delivery end of October after my holiday in California Disney. That was a tad early but still a reasonable fit with my planned change date.
It arrived 4 months early :eek:

Hyundai's px offer for the Rene was derisory and I swore a few years ago I'd never sell privately again, so it has ended up in the hands of we-buy-any-car who paid me nearly £1,000 more than Hyundai would have. Go figure.

So I'm currently car-less but hopefully next week sometime I'll have a new, orange (again), crossover/SUV.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
Quite like the Kona, but it's only 2WD? I'm waiting for the Alfa Tonale. The 4WD petrol PHEV looks interesting....

The problem with these forum is that they are model specific, so once the initial glut of people move away 3 or 4 years after launch the website traffic just drops off. :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry to see you go! I do like the Kona myself. Good luck with your new ride!

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
Had a Kia Stonic rental last month which was quite peppy and very similar.

If you're heading over to Anaheim grab a nice big SUV from someone like Hertz and head over into Arizona. I love roadtripping out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're heading over to Anaheim grab a nice big SUV from someone like Hertz and head over into Arizona. I love roadtripping out in the middle of nowhere.
I try not to drive in foreign countries these days as it's hard work (being the wrong side of the road as well as the rest of it) but never say never. I'd only have a day or two 'spare' though and Arizona sounds a way off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Left

Sold my Rene 1.4 DDCT at the end of Feb, Jeep dealer offered 9k, webuyanycar was a bit better, and Evans Halshaw was around 9.8 - so they got it. They had it for over 3 months and eventually had it listed for less than they paid me. Had a Compass for a day but preferred the Renegade as it stands out more and handled better when i changed to 18" wheels and wider tyres. Also fitted rear spacers.

Would buy another Reneade but not the DDCT (it was annoying sometimes), may look at the hybrid when it comes next year. In the meantime I have gone for more power with a supercharged Lotus Evora - much more fun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd intended to shift the Rene at the end of the year-ish, before the warranty expired, as I'm not that happy with it. It never let me down but had a significant rate of stupid warnings (mainly parking brake and side distance faults), some horrible software (eg. the parking sensors) and a few other niggles (big A pillar blind-spot), each of which which annoyed me and/or made me a bit mistrustful of it.
Keep a Jeep under WARRANTY?
NOT long term?
Don't go OFF ROAD? (FWD)

Good Luck to the mouse from UK.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sold my Rene 1.4 DDCT at the end of Feb, Jeep dealer offered 9k, webuyanycar was a bit better, and Evans Halshaw was around 9.8 - so they got it. They had it for over 3 months and eventually had it listed for less than they paid me. Had a Compass for a day but preferred the Renegade as it stands out more and handled better when i changed to 18" wheels and wider tyres. Also fitted rear spacers.

Would buy another Reneade but not the DDCT (it was annoying sometimes), may look at the hybrid when it comes next year. In the meantime I have gone for more power with a supercharged Lotus Evora - much more fun.
From comments on other forums used car prices in the UK do seem a bit uncertain at present. I guess it's partly Brexit at least, since a serious slump is looking more likely now.

I picked up the Kona yesterday but between the weather and other commitments I just drove home and put it in the garage. Have a play over the weekend I hope.
I was close to cancelling it a few times and was pondering a hybrid. If the Renegade hybrid had been out I'd have had a look at least. But I regard hybrids, as opposed to range extended like the i3, as a bit of a bodge - they aren't much cheaper, they are far more complicated, you're carrying around a load of machinery that you hope you'll never use and they'll need as much servicing as an ordinary ICE.

I scratched the supercharged boy's toy itch a few years ago . Enjoy it, but try and keep your licence 0:)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have spare the 2 stainless steel eye-bolts that I used in the front and rear tow-eye locations for tying my boat down. (M16 thread.)

If anyone in the UK wants them they can have them for the cost of myHermes shipping - £3 to my PayPal. Abroad will get harder and more expensive, so I'll only do that if you are desperate.

I took a photo of them next to a ruler but can't post it here. If interested I can email it to you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hope you never wish to go anywhere further than Bristol, or don't mind a leisurely multi-day journey from one county to the next. This electric malarkey astounds me. I'll keep to diesel, and up here we do get snows, and I really enjoy the freedom of byways and open moor, so I'll keep the trailhawk!

Thanks for your helpful contributions - we'll miss you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hope you never wish to go anywhere further than Bristol, or don't mind a leisurely multi-day journey from one county to the next. This electric malarkey astounds me. I'll keep to diesel, and up here we do get snows, and I really enjoy the freedom of byways and open moor, so I'll keep the trailhawk!

Thanks for your helpful contributions - we'll miss you.
Couldn't agree more raygun - electric just won't do it on the road trips we do. (mainly to the middle of nowhere for days on end)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts