Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched out all the bulbs to LED but I'm having trouble opening the mirror map lights in the front.

Does anyone know how to open the cover? Simple task but I don't want to scratch or break any tabs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rear dome light comes out of the headliner from the left rear passenger seat side and unplugs. The front dome housing must come out the same way but in a different configuration. I'm working on replacing those bulbs this week!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the front map lights last week.

There are 6 tabs in total, there are 2 in the front (closer to front seat) and 3 in back towards the windshield. In order to remove the lens cover you have to pry the front of the lens back and keep something wedged in it to pop open the other side.

Once the front 2 tabs are dislodged, slide the lens towards you to yank the back 3 out. Be careful as the back center tab broke as I did this (not a big deal the others help to still keep the cover in.)

I'll take pics later after work to help show this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Was viewing on my iPhone, it has a hard time on this forum. Work much better on iPad. Thanks for the link.. I found on superbrightleds.com they have all different colors for the interior light for the renegade!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've changed the interior dome light to LED and I've noticed that it never actually shuts completely off. I believe this is due to the lights being on a dimmer. The dimmer causes some leakage through the bulb to neutral which would not matter to an incandescent lamp but keeps the LEDs dimly on even when they should be off. I have also changed the cargo lights to LED, and these are fine because they are not connected to a dimmer.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Out of curiosity, why install LED bulbs? I get it for a house (and I have done that with just about every bulb in my house) because of energy costs and house lights tend to be on quite a while longer than, say, your glove box. Is it just a preference thing?

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Out of curiosity, why install LED bulbs? I get it for a house (and I have done that with just about every bulb in my house) because of energy costs and house lights tend to be on quite a while longer than, say, your glove box. Is it just a preference thing?
hmmm, I thought this mod was because the LEDs were brighter and bring in more light, (especially in the rear cargo area) but you bring up a good point.

I'm thinking Jeep/Fiat should have done was install a strip light bar or directional lights embedded on the rear hatch that light up the moment you open it and keep the interior dome light as a manual on/off with no dimmer function.

TS

·
Registered
36 Posts
hmmm, I thought this mod was because the LEDs were brighter and bring in more light, (especially in the rear cargo area) but you bring up a good point.

I'm thinking Jeep/Fiat should have done was install a strip light bar or directional lights embedded on the rear hatch that light up the moment you open it and keep the interior dome light as a manual on/off with no dimmer function.

TS

Yes, one reason is because the LEDs are brighter, other reasons are because LEDs will last much longer than incandescent, some people feel that the LED light makes the car look more "high-end", and another reason I see is that you can tailgate with the rear cargo door open and the engine off without having to worry about draining the battery as much as if you had incandescent bulbs which draw more power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've changed the interior dome light to LED and I've noticed that it never actually shuts completely off. I believe this is due to the lights being on a dimmer. The dimmer causes some leakage through the bulb to neutral which would not matter to an incandescent lamp but keeps the LEDs dimly on even when they should be off. I have also changed the cargo lights to LED, and these are fine because they are not connected to a dimmer.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?
You'll need canbus led bulbs

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
You'll need canbus led bulbs
Filed under the "I didn't know this, learn something new each day" folder.

I had to look that up, and in case anyone else (like me) that doesn't know what "canbus system" is, here are 2 explanations. No 1 & No 2. With an example of what they look like.

Now comes the questions... (you knew this was coming)
1-Does the Renegade have a canbus system that indicates if the lights are out?
2-Is there a difference between the US model and the European ones if No1 above is true.
3-If not true, would getting a canbus LED still make a difference? (At least for the interior cabin light).

TS

Reactions: Hdreserve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ Easy answer, You'll need a canbus supported led bulb for the mirror/dome/ and license plate lights.
1, yes
2, what does that matter? aren't you in nyc
3, canbus save the money, regular bulbs will stay lit.

I learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

As for No 2, I ask only because since the forum has Renegades from all over I'm just curious if there is a difference regarding the topic at hand.

TS

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
216 Posts
LED bulbs are so much better than incandescent. No heat, brighter, white color vs yellow and less energy used:) I still need to change my sun visor mirror lights, interior front map and bulbs on mirrors for turn-signals.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.