Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Renegades,

I would like to begin that I know there have been a few threads on here regarding LEDs for the Renegade, whether it be for the interior or exterior. Wanting to upgrade to LEDs I read every thread and have brought together all the knowledge/wisdom that we bestowed upon us by other members. With the blessing of the admins, I would like to inform others what lights I have been able to upgrade, and more importantly, those of which have not been. Knowing that SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com will inform you what size bulb you need this post is meant to inform you what specific BRAND/BULB has worked for me. That means the bulbs listed here haven't thrown me any codes.

After reading this if you have found a light that has worked (worked as functioned and DIDN'T THROW A LIGHT) then please feel free to comment and tell us about that exactly manufacture, bulb, place of purchase, and where it went on your vehicle.

Setup: 2017 Desert Hawk.

To begin: CAN BUS. A system that is equally helpful and annoying.

Interior: Good news! I am fairly sure that FCA was cheap and didn't setup ANY CAN BUS in the interior. So you can use any correct size LED without the worry of throwing errors!

First I installed Sylvania 194s in all but the vanity lights (I have MySky so there are lights in the rear HOLY $H!T bars) which produced maybe about 10% more lumens and a much whiter light. Compatible lights: Trunk, passenger handles, glove box, and map lights.

However, today I took a chance and tried something else that I imagine would provide much brighter light. I was right. The light I am referring to is the Pilot 921 COB LED. This light has the same base as the 194, but it is flat and about twice the length. Now, I can personally inform you that it will fit in everything the 194s will fit into for the interior. They are listed to be 6500K brightness (white) and are about 50-70% brighter than the 194s. If you don't mind quite a bit of light I suggest definitely getting these. There will be no doubt that you have LEDs in your interior if you use these.

Exterior: Here CAN BUS is prevalent and I have been only able to upgrade about half of the exterior lights to any (will admit I have only tried 4 different brands before I grew tired) LEDs.

Headlights/Fog Lights: Don't worry there are quite a few to choose from. I haven't tested them all because I'm not rich. However, I have tested the Car Rover H13/H11 and can confirm that they will work. Note that the bulb will sit in the housing at about a 75 degree angle so unless you want to fool around and drill the bulb housing they won't alight 100%. There are other posts here (and at toasterjeep forum) about other headlight/fog light LEDs. They're cheap and guaranteed to work so if you're not up for customizing and want an easy way out get these.
H11: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y78KFT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
H13: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ6RSRV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DRL: Pilot 1157 (White or Amber, your choice) LEDs. These are cheap but haven't thrown a code yet. Plus, they're DRLs and not meant to provide much forward light. You can get these at any auto parts store and even Wal-Mart.

Reverse Lights: The Pilot 921 COB LEDs will work. The same ones as the interior. Very clean white light. Love them.

No Luck With These:
Break Lights: Haven't found a bulb that hasn't either/or thrown me a light or fast blinked.
Turn Signals: Haven't found a bulb that hasn't thrown me a light.
Side Markers: Haven't found a bulb that hasn't thrown me a light.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I haven't found any bulbs for the licence plates yet that wont' throw lights.

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks for your detailed post regarding LEDs.

Have you experienced any problems with the LEDs that you've tried where they stay dimly lit for about 15mins after you shut the vehicle off? I've tried the Pilot 1157 for the DRL and they stay dimly lit for around 15mins before going dark completely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for your very informative post regarding LEDs in the Renegade.

Have you experienced any issues with the LEDs staying dimly lit for about 10-15 mins after the vehicle is shut off? I've tried the Pilot 1157 LEDs for the DRLs and they will stay dimly lit after the vehicle has been turned off for around 15mins.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@tonester,

Yes, I certainly have. Most of the lights will stay dimly lit for ~15 minutes. I assume this will continue to happen unless you use a load resistor on each bulb. To me, I don't think the cost is worth it. Nor do I want to cut into any wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently brought a 2017 desert Hawk ... there are also some lights in the lower door panels .. i was wondering have you changed those bulbs also and if yes what bulbs did you go with

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ZacGot1,

Those are the built-in LED lights, or ambient lights. Lower door, door handle, cup holders, and overhead console has them. Those cannot be replaced... Easily. If you open up a panel and check them out it will be a mini-circuit board with a soldered on LED.

Sucks we cannot replace them nor control the color.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, Fellow Renegades;

Wanted to give everyone an update on the hunt for 100% LED conversion. My approach has been to NOT splice resistors into anything. I have found functional front turn signal LEDs that work without issue. As you know getting turn signals working with LEDs (no error or fast blinking) is not an easy task. I have yet to find a canbus LED light. However, I did find a set of lights that come with a plug-in resistor. This option was favorable because if you want to go back to halogens you just unplug the resistor and go. No permanent damage. So this set (comes with DRL LEDs too that don't require resistors) are plug&play, no errors, and no fast blinking!
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079G692F2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Also found out that Pilot 194's work for the side mirror turn signals without errors as well!
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Automotive-194M-5-AM-Multi-Color-5-SMD/dp/B00GI77OQ2/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521649355&sr=1-2&keywords=pilot+194+amber[/ame]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see no one has had any luck with Tag lights. I get all my LED's from superbrightleds.com and have no errors or anything right off the bat, but this time the tag light is killing me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts