Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i stupidly left my sunroof open and it rained. car will only start intermittently. most of the time it won't start. most of the electronics work. i get an orange warning symbol on the dashboard with a picture of a car and a lock. i'll try to attach a pic of the symbol. i can't find any explanation of the warning symbol online. i'm wondering if there's a way i can reset it so the starter stops locking up.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mind boggles. They put beeps and warnings for doors, lights, seatbelts etc etc but the ONE thing that can can destroy the whole car, nothing! Not a single beep to warn you.
My condolences, could be me someday.

Light is

Vehicle Security Indicator Light
This indicator will illuminate when the Vehicle Security Alarm system has detected an attempt was made to break into the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you. at least now i know what that light means. do you know of any way to make the car think all is well security wise? i'm thinking that might be why the car won't start. it feels like it locks the car down as far as the starter goes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
thank you. at least now i know what that light means. do you know of any way to make the car think all is well security wise? i'm thinking that might be why the car won't start. it feels like it locks the car down as far as the starter goes.
Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal (it's easy with the lever) for at least one hour. See if that resets the computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did disconnect the negative battery terminal. i think i left it disconnected for at least an hour. maybe i will go out now and disconnect it and leave it that way overnight. the last two days have been fairly hot and very dry. i've had all the windows down and the sunroof open to try to dry out any of the electronic parts. the seats are covered with a faux leather and they seem fine. but electronically the car seems to be a mess. everything other than the starter was working fine for two days, but now the dashboard is telling me that pretty much everything needs to be serviced. i will try to get it to the dealer tomorrow - might have to have it towed, but just thought i should try to find out here if there are any fixes i can try before i attempt to get it to the dealer. thanks so much for all your help!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Water damage happens slow. Everything can seem fine for a couple of hours until the connections start to break down.
Impossible in this case but getting to electric damage with a can of wd40 as quickly as possible to drive out the moisture is a best hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened to me. Left the roof open and it rained. Car won't start and all warning systems are alerting failure. Dashboard looked liked a Christmas tree. How did littlerivergirl make out? Did you have to take it to the dealer? I am attempting to let the car dry-out for a few days and try restarting. I am hesitant to take it into the dealer without trying to let the vehicle dry out. But it is possible that electronic damage had been done. If you could provide an update on how you got your vehicle running again that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Water and electronics are mortal enemies. I know it's human nature to see the problem, do the "uh-oh !" then hop in and try to start it to see if "all is ok". You hit that ignition and water is laying where is shouldn't, you just potentially created more issues with shorts, fried components, etc.. The best practice is to pop the hood, disconnect the battery.....and wait. Sometimes days. It takes a long time for water to evaporate. Do not take compressed air to "blow out" the water, because you're not; you're just sending it in deeper. But then, you still have the problem of corrosion in connections, etc.. It's a crap shoot as to how bad the water penetrated. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. It is very difficult to resist the urge to want to continue to try to start the car as if it was something mechanically wrong. After a number of attempts and hearing noises from parts of the car I didn't think could make noise, I finally decided to just let the car dry out. I did buy a small heated blower from harbor freight to help dry the car out. It is perfect size to this type of issue. It has been drying for 3 days. I will try to start it tomorrow to see what happens.
It is crazy that the car can park itself, stop on its own, keep you in a lane and even has a rain sensor that turns the wipers on, but it does not close the sunroof when it is raining.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It is crazy that the car can park itself, stop on its own, keep you in a lane and even has a rain sensor that turns the wipers on, but it does not close the sunroof when it is raining.
They couldn't. They ran out of money after having too many argumentative meetings as to where to place the Italian spider greeting you. Then they ran bone dry after the "Where can we place just ONE MORE Jeep grill ? C'mon people, THINK !!" meetings.... Those presentations and poster boards costs add up for them meetings. Then there's the catered lunches, etc... Auto-closing sunroof to prevent damage to a vehicle ? Too logical.

A simple program could've been written being the sunroof is powered and the vehicle has rain sensor capabilities. A BASIC/C-type program (although hopefully not what they use) could've worked...
0 = Close/OFF, 1 = Open/ON
IF
sunroof = 1
AND
rainsensor = 0
THEN
sunroof = 1
ELSEIF
sunroof = 1
AND
rainsensor = 1
THEN
sunroof = 0
END

Basic, but you get my drift; not too hard.

Nope, we got Yeti's and Jeep grills all over the place instead...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.