Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my daystar bull bar for my 2017 Jeep Latitude.

I am wanting to mount a couple of auxiliary 'driving lights' to the holes in the bull bar...anyone know the latest laws regarding auxiliary lights? Basically I'm trying to determine if I will need to keep them covered while street driving or not...

This is in California. I have of course looked at the laws but they are unclear and seem to contradict themselves at different points.

Am I correct in thinking that if the lights are 'DOT approved' then I can use them while street driving?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just say they’re fog lights and anything goes!
Lol good tip thanks.

One section of CA law states:

"Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp."

Then another law states:

"Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam."

So it seems like the first section says you can have 4 lights on at any one time, and that a "pair of a dual headlamp system" counts as one lamp. SO - logic tells me I can have 2 factory headlamps (one pair = one lamp) plus the a pair of mounted driving lights (one lamp) and the 2 factory fog lights (2 lamps) on at one time...

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
161 Posts
Lol good tip thanks.

One section of CA law states:

"Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
(1) Headlamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp."

Then another law states:

"Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam."

So it seems like the first section says you can have 4 lights on at any one time, and that a "pair of a dual headlamp system" counts as one lamp. SO - logic tells me I can have 2 factory headlamps (one pair = one lamp) plus the a pair of mounted driving lights (one lamp) and the 2 factory fog lights (2 lamps) on at one time...

Am I missing something?
I assume it means any pair at all counts as one, so the pair of fog lights would count as one as well. If that’s the case, you have two light spots left for both auxiliary lights. But, I dunno, I’m not a California lawyer.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
(1) Headlamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
If I am not mistaken as Law reading is quite particular and specific this part indicates clearly that ONLY 4 or less lamps that are front facing can be lit at any one time. It matters not what the combination is but as an example:

• 1 headlamp (x2), 2 fog lamps, 3 if so desired
  • 1 headlamp (x2) , 2 spot lamps, 1 warning lamp (eg Amber Flashing). Exemptions apply to the 3 emergency services showing blue/red warning lamps/lightbars.
  • 1 headlamp (x2) , 3 light bars *(more to follow)
  • 1 headlamp (x2), 2 driving lamps
  • 4 lightbars, off road, no other lamps unless otherwise stated in the relevany act
  • *or any similar combination that is detailed within the relevant Road Traffic act of that county/state/country. Specific details of what constitutes a driving lamp, fog lamp, lightbar etc will all be prescribed within the relevant Vehicle Lighting act. Therein will be determined eg Size, intensity, distances for fitting to comply with the relevant section of the act pertaining.
Driving lamps (light bars) should be wired directly to your full beam so they cannot be used on their own and blind people when you have accidently switched them on whilst using low beam ie driving around town in darkness.

They can be wired alternatively via a switch to make them independantly operable but again not with low beam. Use the switch when in any location other than on a prescribed road. A road is one generally maintained by a Regional Council as opposed to private land.

So it seems like the first section says you can have 4 lights on at any one time, and that a "pair of a dual headlamp system" counts as one lamp. SO - logic tells me I can have 2 factory headlamps (one pair = one lamp) plus the a pair of mounted driving lights (one lamp) and the 2 factory fog lights (2 lamps) on at one time.
No!!!

Factory headlamps are specific in type hence you are allowed a pair counting as 1. Likely it has to do with the directional way they are required to illuminate specific parts of the road to avoid blinding on-coming drivers, ie 1 is offset.

Driving lights must be counted as singular as they do not fall under the scope of headlamps as prescribed by the relevant law.

Using your example you can legally have:

• 1 pair of headlamps, 2 fog lamps, 1 driving light (light bar for example)
  • 1 pair of headlamps, 2 driving lights and any 1 other lamp/light of your choice.
Law and the legality of driving is very involved and in-depth. It twists and turns in so many ways that it will easily tie us all up in knots. It is not a matter of personal interpretation but careful consideration needs to be given to what law calls the prescribed word. There is no getting away from that. Somewhere it is all written down in many sub sections of main sections of law.

My head is bursting just trying to reply, the gray matter has melted down :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for the thorough response puddle splasher! I think your interpretation makes sense...so seeing as the Renegade has a pair of factor headlamps (one lamp) and 2 factory fog lights (2 lamps) - I could add ONE additional lamp to use as a driving light wired into my high beams...so when turned on I would have a total of FOUR lamps: headlamps (1), fog lights (2), and light-bar (1).

Using this logic it seems like mounting a light-bar driving light on the bull bar would be the way to make it work. Glad we had this exchange as I was going to purchase 2 round driving lamps - but that would put me at 5 lamps...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually - after doing a little more reading/thinking - I realized that when the high beams are turned on, the fog lights are turned off automatically. So if I switch to high beams, a pair of round lights should be fine as the 2 fogs would be off. Meaning I'd never have more than 4 lamps on at any one time.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
High beam (1 unit), 2 round lights, sounds reasonable as could be prescribed lawfully.

Keep in mind that you still need to remain within the legal limits of:

• minimum height off the ground
  • maximum height off the ground
  • round lights must be connected via hi-beam switch and cannot be used with low beam or normal driving lamps (unless as directed above)
There is no twisting of words and meaning to each others own personal interpretation of what constitutes a lamp or a light.

It is laid down in LAW

That sounds like a possibility

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice! Where do you live and do you have to cover the 3 bull bar lights while on public roads?

I just ordered these:

71l6A5M091L.AC_SL1500.jpg

So just the 2 lights, which luckily the bull bar already has holes for.

Your Renegade is awesome though, looks ready for some serious rough riding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
High beam (1 unit), 2 round lights, sounds reasonable as could be prescribed lawfully.

Keep in mind that you still need to remain within the legal limits of:

• minimum height off the ground
  • maximum height off the ground
  • round lights must be connected via hi-beam switch and cannot be used with low beam or normal driving lamps (unless as directed above)
There is no twisting of words and meaning to each others own personal interpretation of what constitutes a lamp or a light.

It is laid down in LAW

That sounds like a possibility
Right - that's what I'm hoping. The only "unknown" is whether those 2 auxiliary driving lights wired to the high beams count as "driving lights" or "off road lights" - as part of CA law says that all off road lights must be covered while on public roads...but I believe the section allowing up to 2 'auxiliary driving lights' means that they would be okay uncovered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts