Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for the thread on what annoys us about our jeep's, but i see the positive input thread got a sticky instead. >:D

I'm less than a week in and I love the vehicle. I do however, have some gripes.

Not long after getting under a quarter tank of gas, the range just shows "low" With almost a quarter tank of gas, I should have plenty of miles to go yet. Previous vehicles showed range until around 10 miles, then would show "low." Maybe some learning is still needed for the computer. I hope. I know I saw this mentioned as an issue somewhere else on here.

With cloudless skies and the sun risen, my headlights are turning on, which then dims my display and with sunglasses on, makes it nearly impossible to read the radio or the EVIC/DID. I've tried adjusting the Headlight Sensitivity from 1 to 3 and back to 1, but doesn't seem to help. I'm not even sure if 1 is more sensitive or less sensitive, but in either case, even while I'm forced to wear sunglasses, my headlights are coming on. The Uconnect manual isn't much help. It says it's a time interval:

• Headlight Sensitivity
When this feature is selected, it Adjusts the headlight
sensitivity. To change the headlight sensitivity setting,
press the “ headlight sensitivity” button on the touchscreen
and choose either “1,” “2,” or “3” buttons on the
touchscreen to select your desired time interval.

Think that covers my gripes for now. :) not enough to hate the vehicle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with the fuel gauge, but don't forget that you are working with a relatively small volume tank. At approx 25 miles per gallon, won't take much to run through a couple of gallons to get to "low warning". I noticed my flashed on at about 25 miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not long after getting under a quarter tank of gas, the range just shows "low" With almost a quarter tank of gas, I should have plenty of miles to go yet.

If this happened
at the beginning of ride, it is normal, because instant consumption at start lowered range a lot, after few minutes consuption and range are normal again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If this happened
at the beginning of ride, it is normal, because instant consumption at start lowered range a lot, after few minutes consuption and range are normal again.
It happened during the whole 20-30 minute ride. I'll fill up after work and keep a closer eye on it, but I wouldn't expect to see "low" for the range until under 1/8th of a tank. Not just under 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with the fuel gauge, but don't forget that you are working with a relatively small volume tank. At approx 25 miles per gallon, won't take much to run through a couple of gallons to get to "low warning". I noticed my flashed on at about 25 miles.
I realize that, and will have to try and keep an eye on it for awhile to see what is going on. But 1/4 tank should be over 3 gallons, which should get me over 75 miles. A real number should be given, even if I know it's not exactly accurate.

Speaking of, that brings up a new gripe. So far, after one tank, my jeep says I'm getting 18.6 mpg. That sounds horrible! I expected over 20 and closer to 25. I'm hoping future fill ups show better results.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It happened during the whole 20-30 minute ride. I'll fill up after work and keep a closer eye on it, but I wouldn't expect to see "low" for the range until under 1/8th of a tank. Not just under 1/4 tank.
Mine only shows low when there are only 2-3 bars left on the fuel gauge so definitely at about 1/8th...I have a 2015 Manual. You could try resetting your MPG rating; maybe that would work? When I bought my car, it had 60 miles on it and only like 15mpg showing. I immediately reset it and I average 26.3 with just over 4,000 miles on it...I do like 90% in town and only 10% highway.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to reset it on the first fill up. So hopefully things will be better.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, must have jinxed myself. Started the Jeep this morning. 272 miles and Service Engine light comes on. Shut it down and restarted and same thing. Was driving past a dealership on my way to work, so stopped in to have them check it. Active code came up blank. They don't know what it is. Cleared it and playing the wait to see if i comes back game.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well, must have jinxed myself. Started the Jeep this morning. 272 miles and Service Engine light comes on. Shut it down and restarted and same thing. Was driving past a dealership on my way to work, so stopped in to have them check it. Active code came up blank. They don't know what it is. Cleared it and playing the wait to see if i comes back game.
Keep us posted if it does! Hopefully this was just some kind of aberration.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep us posted if it does! Hopefully this was just some kind of aberration.
Nothing yet. What about my other two issues? What is a headlight sensitivity time interval?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nothing yet. What about my other two issues? What is a headlight sensitivity time interval?
I'm unsure regarding your fuel gauge/miles to empty question, as that can depend on a variety of factors and driving style.

The headlight sensitivity time interval is not a set interval, but rather a time delay based on ambient lighting. A setting of "1" will have the shortest delay before headlights would turn on (again based on ambient lighting).

Also, in order to make the dashboard brighter in daylight if your headlights are turning on, you can increase the brightness wheel to the first click-stop (the second click-stop turns on the dome/overhead lights). I have a photo attached showing the location of the brightness wheel I'm referring to.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm unsure regarding your fuel gauge/miles to empty question, as that can depend on a variety of factors and driving style.

The headlight sensitivity time interval is not a set interval, but rather a time delay based on ambient lighting. A setting of "1" will have the shortest delay before headlights would turn on (again based on ambient lighting).

Also, in order to make the dashboard brighter in daylight if your headlights are turning on, you can increase the brightness wheel to the first click-stop (the second click-stop turns on the dome/overhead lights). I have a photo attached showing the location of the brightness wheel I'm referring to.
I know driving style factors into miles till empty, but in now way could any style cause a "low" in lieu of a number at 1/4 tank. Previous vehicles, "Low" meant an estimated less than 10 miles of gas remaining. And at 1/4 tank, there's no way I'd only get 10 more miles. Something I thought could be looked into, as I think I've seen other complaints about this floating around on the forum.

Ok. So it's an undefined time interval between when the sensor thinks the lights should come on until they actually turn the lights on, but it's some company secret "interval" and I can't keep my lights from turning on in early morning daylight.

I know I can turn it to the click, but that also has my dash lights at bright during the night too, and I wanted to avoid having to turn the dial twice a day, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it or see if it continues. I haven't been noticing it lately, but I've been driving before the sun comes up in the morning now.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
For a number of cars, warning is 40 miles estimated range, and low is anything under 30. I'm not sure if that is the jeep logic. Jeep will turn the bar red at 1/4, and then warns you a bit under that, and then it flashes a fuel screen on the dash if you have DID.

For posterity, if you hit E, you have about .47 gallons left. Filling up just after I hit low means I have a gallon left, which can be anywhere from 16-28 miles of ride left depending on traffic and hills and lights and such. The real panic warning will come at 8-12 miles remaining, which will be the dash falsh. No idea how the EVIc displays stuff.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know driving style factors into miles till empty, but in now way could any style cause a "low" in lieu of a number at 1/4 tank. Previous vehicles, "Low" meant an estimated less than 10 miles of gas remaining. And at 1/4 tank, there's no way I'd only get 10 more miles. Something I thought could be looked into, as I think I've seen other complaints about this floating around on the forum.

Ok. So it's an undefined time interval between when the sensor thinks the lights should come on until they actually turn the lights on, but it's some company secret "interval" and I can't keep my lights from turning on in early morning daylight.

I know I can turn it to the click, but that also has my dash lights at bright during the night too, and I wanted to avoid having to turn the dial twice a day, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it or see if it continues. I haven't been noticing it lately, but I've been driving before the sun comes up in the morning now.
It certainly could be that your EVIC is showing the fuel as low before it should be, but with the variety of factors at play it would be best to have a dealership look into this. I don't see any TSB's or documented cases regarding this on my end.

Please keep us posted if you do decide to do so, or if you have a recurrence of the Service Engine Light.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. There's no warnings or anything coming up. It just states low range when it should give me some number of miles. I haven't gone far enough to see when the actual fuel warnings come up, but the range should be calculated better and give an actual number. Yesterday after I left work and still above 1/4 tank, it went from 89 miles to empty, down to 50-60 something and back up to over 100 miles, all within 20 miles of driving. I realize they calculate it on some average MPG, but it shouldn't be the average over (what seems to be) the last 1-2 miles, but something much more accurate. Especially with plenty of fuel left. Picture was taken this morning after I started the car and drove less than a mile. Stayed like this all the way to work, as far as I could tell, and I'm not sure what it showed when I first started it. This time it showed Low Range somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 tank, last time it was barely below 1/4 when it started showing low range.

Maybe some kinks just need worked out yet as the computer learns. It is only a couple hundred miles in so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As you can see from the photo I attached. I had to aim down at the dash as it was bright outside, but the headlights are on even though it was relatively bright out and it's showing "low range" with somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 tank.

Here's a new picture of me driving in the daylight and the auto headlights turned on making the dash nearly unreadable.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Where is the ambient light sensor and is it possible something is partially blocking it?

As to "low" warnings, I look at the reported miles remaining as nothing but a guestimate, and typically start looking for fuel when my tank is below 1/4. If the warnings come on I really start looking! Where I live gas stations may be as much as 30 miles apart.

I once let it get low enough that I put 11.9 gallons in..... hopefully I'll never be that dumb again. A larger tank would certainly be nice but we have to live with what we've got.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Where is the ambient light sensor
It's in the center of the dash.

Mine was set on auto headlights from the dealer. On my way to work the day after buying it I noticed the headlights were on when to me it was pretty bright out. But seems that's just how they work. They come on when the sun is not fully up plus the combination of driving in and out of shadows- stuff like that. I think I turned off the auto lights on day 2.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.