Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried changing the OE bulbs to the upgraded LED bulbs and the instrument cluster now says that those bulbs are "burnt out" and there's no way of turning that notification off. It's annoying. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I tried changing the OE bulbs to the upgraded LED bulbs and the instrument cluster now says that those bulbs are "burnt out" and there's no way of turning that notification off. It's annoying. Any suggestions?

Unless specifically designed otherwise, for the same light output, the load put ont eh circuit by an LED replacement lamp is significantly lower than the load put on it by an incandescent lamp. THis is why the cheap ebay led lamps for lights that act as blinkers in a car will cycle at roughly 2x the rate of stock incandescent bulbs.

The renegade's computer probably measures the load, sees it is low, and says you have a bum bulb. The only answer is probably to put in an OEM style bulb, or dig up an led lamp with the right number of emitters and the correct resistor to match the OEM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Unless specifically designed otherwise, for the same light output, the load put ont eh circuit by an LED replacement lamp is significantly lower than the load put on it by an incandescent lamp. THis is why the cheap ebay led lamps for lights that act as blinkers in a car will cycle at roughly 2x the rate of stock incandescent bulbs.

The renegade's computer probably measures the load, sees it is low, and says you have a bum bulb. The only answer is probably to put in an OEM style bulb, or dig up an led lamp with the right number of emitters and the correct resistor to match the OEM.
Great info. Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Most new cars, especially European cars use CAN bus to regulate accessories. You can't just use any LED bulb, you need to get one that is specifically designed to work with CAN bus systems to avoid throwing errors.

Check out superbrightleds.com. They have several.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'd recommend trying to buy the Renegade HIDs from the UK
But...

joelg1988 asked about "License lamp LED upgrade?" not Headlamp upgrade.

Of course if you want to ILLUMINATE your license plate you could try HIDs :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most new cars, especially European cars use CAN bus to regulate accessories. You can't just use any LED bulb, you need to get one that is specifically designed to work with CAN bus systems to avoid throwing errors.

Check out superbrightleds.com. They have several.
I bought the CAN/BUS leds from superbrightleds and I'm still getting the bulb out error. CAN/BUS or not, you're going to get the error.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have 2 options to get rid of the error. 1 use a resistor on each bulb and they will work fine with no dash message. The resistors are sold on superbrightleds.com and some other websites. 2. Use silverstar xenon replacement bulbs. I went that route and although they are not bright white like my other lights they are close to the same color. Like 6500 on the scale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.