Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had this idea and although I've only begun the process and have not completed it, I wanted to share the progress and perhaps get some input or advice in the process. I've installed lights inside the headlights of the rear logo. Next I need to find an appropriate spot for a switch and find a wire to tap into. I'm really excited for the finished result but need your help. Where would you install a switch? And what wire would make the most sense to tap into?

The idea was to add another light source to the rear when unloading cargo or needing extra light to work on something...lining up a hitch, etc. Really hoping I can finish this soon and post a more organized DIY.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
If it is only supposed to work when open, why not tap into the cargo are lights? Unless there's a big draw or a lot of heat you might not need an additional switch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would just tie in to the cargo lights so they come on when you open the door or turn on the lights, that's going to look really nice and original when your done with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would just tie in to the cargo lights so they come on when you open the door or turn on the lights, that's going to look really nice and original when your done with it.
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. I forgot to take pictures but it was rather easy to wire up. Once I got the other rear panel off at the top of the lift gate, i slid off the boot with wires running through it and fished the wire through, used a wire clothes hanger to pull it, and slowly worked down the inside lip of the trim without taking it off. I then dropped the end of the wire down the side of the cargo area and was able to grab it again with the hanger and pull it out of the access hole where the cargo light was popped out and tied it into the wiring. There's a solid purple wire and a white wire with a purple stripe. The white wire with a purple stripe is negative and solid purple is positive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts