Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a good friend of mine that has been in the Wrangler family for along time and has a sweet overly modded Wrangler told me that as soon as I get the Renegade I need to have it lifted. I told him there were no real suspension lifts yet but he said that's not what he is talking about. He said for about $100 he can have the spacers made to give it 2 inches then I can add some better tires.

Sorry I only owned 1 other Jeep and that was 10 years ago which I did nothing to. Other than that I usually owned sports cars. My question is does this sound about right? I trust him 100% but he is like me by being mechanically challenged and just would rather pay somebody to do the work...lol

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
157 Posts
What he is probably talking about is a body lift which can't be done on a Renegade because it is a unibody design. With a Wrangler the body sits on the frame so you can just add spacers to lift the body but with the Renegade there is no separation between the frame and the body. The only lift kit that I have seen is from G-Force (G-Force Lift Kit) and is only 1". They will be releasing a larger lift but it is not available yet. Being that the 2015 US release was so short it doesn't surprise me that aftermarket parts are hard to find but I'm hoping that things start to get better in the coming months. My initial wish list is probably pretty similar to yours; 2" lift, skid plates, larger tires, tow hooks. I don't plan on doing anything until spring '16 so I'm hoping that there is a lot more available once I am ready.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What he is probably talking about is a body lift which can't be done on a Renegade because it is a unibody design. With a Wrangler the body sits on the frame so you can just add spacers to lift the body but with the Renegade there is no separation between the frame and the body. The only lift kit that I have seen is from G-Force (G-Force Lift Kit) and is only 1". They will be releasing a larger lift but it is not available yet. Being that the 2015 US release was so short it doesn't surprise me that aftermarket parts are hard to find but I'm hoping that things start to get better in the coming months. My initial wish list is probably pretty similar to yours; 2" lift, skid plates, larger tires, tow hooks. I don't plan on doing anything until spring '16 so I'm hoping that there is a lot more available once I am ready.
Thank you dontpanic! That explained a lot for me. Like I said I am a noob to the 4wd world for the most part especially after market upgrades!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you dontpanic! That explained a lot for me. Like I said I am a noob to the 4wd world for the most part especially after market upgrades!
He might have also been talking about spring spacers.

Spring spacers are not a good idea becasue they simply lift the vehicle up to it's top limit in suspension travel. When you lose that travel not only does the ride become awful but you'll probably have less offroad capability than you had before due to loss of articulation

Those spacers work okay with a wrangler in a pinch because the wrangler has lots of suspension travel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Existing lift kits abroad for the Renegade are essentially spring/strut spacers. Neither are ideal since you're changing suspension geometry to a point that is beyond what the engineers have design the suspension and driveline angles to operate within.

Same goes for the dizzying array of available options for the Wrangler. All modifications have a tradeoff.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I would drive it and take it off-road a few times before you consider doing any type of lift. From what I have seen (videos) the Renegade appears quite capable in stock form, especially in Trailhawk trim.

Reactions: Beerwolf70

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would drive it and take it off-road a few times before you consider doing any type of lift. From what I have seen (videos) the Renegade appears quite capable in stock form, especially in Trailhawk trim.
Ditto. The wise approach. Extra ground clearance gives you freedom to be careless; not an automatic pass for go-anywhere-ness.

Being selective and thoughtful with your path selection (and tire choice) is more important than one extra inch of clearance that come at the price of accelerated wear on driveline components.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something else that I have seen mentioned a few times too is that you will gain extra ground clearance with larger tires as well.
That was my thinking also, I just got to figure out how big I can go without rubbing.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,076 Posts
This post has full details about the kit with pictures. Also, @MADNESSAutoworks will have a bunch of accessories at SEMA including two different lifts.

Hi there!

Thanks for the mention.

We actually have the G-Force kit in stock now with Daystar kits pre-ordered and we are finishing up our own kit as well which we be unveiled at SEMA.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi there!
We actually have the G-Force kit in stock now with Daystar kits pre-ordered and we are finishing up our own kit as well which we be unveiled at SEMA.
Hi Madness,
Are you planning to do the FMVSS 126 compliance testing (for the Electronic Stability Control System) on the G-Force kit?

The next thing blew me away, the setup is tested and certified to be FMVSS 126 Compliant (for the Electronic Stability Control Systems). He said the tested it four or five times at a cost of $15K each time. This was one area I thought you may sacrifice with a lift, but Daystar came through.

Reactions: syzygy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.