Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother just leased a 2020 Trailhawk (which is a good fit for her living in the country). She's only 4' 7" and has trouble reaching the hatch when it's open all the way. I'm trying to find a source for a shorter gas strut to replace the original ones with. From measurements I took I need it to lift at least one inch less (measuring the exposed support rod).

I've replaced the hatch struts on both my Grand Cherokee and Suburban so I know it's not that complicated. A step ladder does help significantly though, lol.

I run both Google searches and a searches in this forum without any success.

Steelheart

·
Registered
156 Posts
Would your local "Scrap yard" not prove to be a good place to start?

I know my local "Scrappy" personally and they are always willing to advise and suggest a solution. I am sure they would give you a smaller compatible strut.

Nevs Idea of a suspended strap is an excellent solution :love:

It got me thinking. What about fitting a small retaining strap on the door afixed to the inside of the boot that only allows it to open partially if that makes sense? Use an old leather belt and a couple of self tapping screws or slightly longer pop rivets to fix it in place?

That way the boot hatch will always remain at a fixed height that matches the strength your Mom has to close it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Agree with the others. Get some nylon strapping in black. Cut a 2 ft piece. Melt the cut ends together. Attache to inside tailgateby popping off the plastic and using nut, bolt, and washers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's a leased vehicle that she's planning on returning in 3.5 years so we don't want to get charged for damaging the vehicle by screwing a strap to the inside of the hatch. Plus then my 70+ year old mother needs to mess with having to make sure that strap is inside the hatch when it closes, something she doesn't want to do.

If I strike out trying to source shorter struts, my plan B is to make a limiting straps (think aircraft cable with loop ends) to put in parallel to the current gas struts.

The main reasons she picked a Renegade is that she could see easier to make left turns (the mirror is in the way for many vehicles) plus the better 4wd system as she lives in the country down a few miles of gravel road. Minnesota winters and spring can really chew up that road some years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a mental image of a wee frail 70 year old Mother trying to use her walking stick in one hand and the other on the tailgate being stretched like a victim on a medieval torture machine as she tries to use the step. :eek::oops:🤣

The step is a brilliant idea and there is also one available for the door latch to provide access to the roof. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
653 Posts
... we could always cut the spring and slam the renegade to the ground for easy access. :ROFLMAO:

Better yet, Air Ride. When she shuts the Renegade off it drops to the ground, when it start it, raises it self back up to ride height.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think some of the vans for those in wheelchairs do that.
Indeed they do but it still requires the insertion of a ramp to wheel the person into the vehicle. Imagine the image of a Jeeps rear end totally lowered at the rear, automatically and pre-set to the poor wee wifies height :p

I was just making an attempt at being silly and humerous by suggesting I'm off to patent the idea :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts