Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Renegade Trailhawk with the intent to drive it every day, but also be able to take it off roading on some moderate trails. I'm completely new to off roading, but my father in law has had many Jeeps and is willing to show me the ropes. I don't plan on keeping up with his Wrangler completely (raised JK), but I would like to at least not embarrass myself. :)

After doing some research, I purchased the Daystar 1.5" lift kit, and I plan on having that installed soon.

My questions are:

What are the drawbacks, if any, for installing this kit on a car that will be 95% driving in the city/highway? Will it make the ride quality worse, could it wear any parts prematurely, cause reliability issues, etc?

I also plan on adding larger tires, probably 235/65R17, which I've seen on some Renegades with this kit installed. Will these do alright on the stock rims, or am I best off getting new rims as well? If so, what are my options? Any tire recommendations for a daily driver (in Michigan, harsh winters), but with good off road capability as well?

I believe I need at least 1" wheel spacers to avoid rubbing with the new tires, is that correct? Any recommendations there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your gas mileage will probably drop which imo is the only real drawback on a predominantly on road daily driver. Being a Michigan native I know what those winters are like so I would go with an all terrain such as BFGs as opposed to a muds. BFGs are good on and off road. Muds are not the greatest on snowy pavement in my experience. I'm not sure but you can probably use the stock rims but you are right in that you will definitely need spacers to clear the strut tower.

Goodluck with your mods and keep us posted!

·
Registered
85 Posts
With the taller center of gravity there will be a mild reduction either the speed at which you can take an emergency turn, or how sharp you can turn. This was what plagued the Suzuki Samurai and the second-generation Isuzu Trooper, they got poor marks for failing the 'moose test', which is a dodge-left to avoid something in the road, and then dodge-right to get out of the path of incoming traffic.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Is the Daystar lift a spring lift or a spacer lift?

I got a non TH for my wife and she rode in a TH and preferred the higher ride height. I own a JKU and am currently installing the Mopar 2in lift for it. I told her there was a lift also available for the Rene and she's interested in getting it. Seeing as though the TH already has about a 2in ride height increase over non TH Rene's, and if the Daystar lift is a spring lift, then the OP might not gain anything by adding that lift. If it's a spacer lift, then that's another story, although being a Wrangler guy, I'ld be kind of disappointed in getting a spacer lift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2016 with about 25k on it, first thing i did was lift it! All they currently make is the Daystar 1.5" for it, so i bought it and with a little fabbing got 2" out of it. Once i adjusted the longer two back bars inwards it rides great! Hardly can tell a difference, except i feel higher up. Also i should note, it took me and my old man a full 2 days to install it (including our custom fsb work)

I also have 33" Mud kings on mine haha although i wouldn't advise that, as i had to cut alot of my fenders to make them work well

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got a 2016 with about 25k on it, first thing i did was lift it! All they currently make is the Daystar 1.5" for it, so i bought it and with a little fabbing got 2" out of it. Once i adjusted the longer two back bars inwards it rides great! Hardly can tell a difference, except i feel higher up. Also i should note, it took me and my old man a full 2 days to install it (including our custom fsb work)

I also have 33" Mud kings on mine haha although i wouldn't advise that, as i had to cut alot of my fenders to make them work well
You did a great job on it though. The fender trimming seems natural.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone else looking for a lift kit I have one for sale !! I never put it on the car.. Never out of the box !!! If interested please text me at 970 903 4676 I am not on here too much so that is the best WAY TO CONTACT ME !!

·
Registered
10 Posts

that IS FRICKIN AWESOME !!!!! My husband would not let me do that !!!

·
Registered
203 Posts

So, Daystar 1.5 lift w modified fenders.
What's the rim size/tire specs?
What size spacers are you using?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone else looking for a lift kit I have one for sale !! I never put it on the car.. Never out of the box !!! If interested please text me at 970 903 4676 I am not on here too much so that is the best WAY TO CONTACT ME !!
Before I shoot you a text, are you willing to ship to California? What is your asking price? I'm assuming this is the 1.5" Daystar kit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.