Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please list your issues below. I have been in contact with Jeep and they state that these issues are not really common so I want to bring it to their attention what issues are happening. Please list model and miles.

My Jeep got a flat tire just over a month ago and then again another one yesterday morning. The first was due to construction people dropping parts on the road. The second we thought had no explanation as it was a slit in the sidewall. I will list the issue in my list of problems. She was towed to the dealership and they decided to look at our issues after I called Jeep about it. They have been so slammed they didn't have openings but since we were towed in they slide us in. We had been going to Carmax since they where a Jeep dealer and the closest to us but they are no longer going to be a CJD dealer and will only service their cars. We have a rental (a tiny Nissan Sentra) until she is fixed or the manager from Jeep calls us with our next step on Lemon Lawing her per Jeeps customer service.

My List:
Latitude at 3306 miles but started happening under 1000 miles

As of 10/6:
1) transmission failure - slipping and had to manually shift to get over 4th gear, Jeep says they have to "flash" it to get it to work correctly (why would you do that!). This is the reason our VIN has been giving us the "invalid VIN" issue.
2) fuel filter went bad - only had 200 gallons of gas on it, reason for 18mpg highway
3) fuses blew - not sure which ones as they didn't say but all were replaced
4) Hole in the exhaust manifold - it is braided rolled aluminum
5) bad tires - this is the reason for them loosing pressure quickly, inflating them weekly. They where replaced yesterday but there was an issue with the computer they said and they had to replace them again. They called today to say they have to replace them again but are out of tires so have to give us a different size rim and then new tires.

Still working on:
fog lights turning themselves on and off even with having been turned on
Uconnect not working correctly
Computer Module went bad - they are determining which one but radio flashed

I will update as the dealership calls me when they find more things and call me. The dealership is saying it is at least 6 days worth of work upwards of over 15 days. The transmission is on backorder if the flash does not work after he rebuilds it. They said the rebuild will take 5 days by itself thanks to ASE.

The Jeep manager says that they have already started the buy back process for all Renegades. If the dealerships don't help you can call Jeep and they will get you set.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:confused:
Really sorry you got a lemon.
2 different people. The lady that said issues were "not common" was just customer service and kept stating the 2014 Renegades had transmission issues. When we called her out on the 2014 not existing she fumbled for words after that. She really had no idea what she was even saying and was just trying

The "Jeep manager" I mentioned is from another department is the one giving me a lot of information and helping me with my issues. He is the one that said they are starting the buy back program due to too many issues with the Renegades.

I hit "enter" too early as my husband got home with food and my daughter was going crazy so I didn't get to proof read, lol. I really hate this forum setup as I cannot delete to repost correctly or edit.

Reactions: syzygy

· Registered
1,613 Posts
2 different people. The lady that said issues were "not common" was just customer service and kept stating the 2014 Renegades had transmission issues. When we called her out on the 2014 not existing she fumbled for words after that. She really had no idea what she was even saying and was just trying

The "Jeep manager" I mentioned is from another department is the one giving me a lot of information and helping me with my issues. He is the one that said they are starting the buy back program due to too many issues with the Renegades.

I hit "enter" too early as my husband got home with food and my daughter was going crazy so I didn't get to proof read, lol. I really hate this forum setup as I cannot delete to repost correctly or edit.
I am sure this 10 minute edit is new, and pointless.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I will bet the OP $100 that there is no mass buyback of renegades within the next 365 days. Even VW, who is in DEEP doo-doo is doing everything to avoid a buy back. Why would FCA be doing one on a vehicle that hasn't even been the subject of a significant recall? Seriously. I'll make a bet. We'll both pick charities you can donate via the web, winner picks some random cent value to tack onto the $100 and screen shots the donation. But I'm pretty sure that statement is about as accurate as claiming something was only a problem with 2104 renegades.

I'm also pretty sure that flashing the TPM has nothing to do with the existence of any VIN issue. There has been an issue where different versions of firmware in the vehicle vs. software revision of the diagnostic tools had compatibility issues, and you DO have to flash the vehicle and diagnostic software until both are above a certain revision until they communicate properly. Why would they do that? It's a bug, it wasn't intentional, stuff happens, that's why. Getting the firmware in the car over that hump is a bit of a PITA from what was explained to me. This may have just been explained poorly. But if they ran into that situation it is pretty much a sign that they HAVEN'T had a lot of renegades coming in for work on the transmission. I got to be the first one at my dealer, and by the point I purchased they had sold through between 20-30 of them already. By the time I had an issue, I'm sure they moved several more.

I'm not sure what jeep has to do with you hitting road debris or having a sidewall sliced unless you are implying that the sidewall damage was due to under-inflation due to a leak due to bad tires.

As for blown fuses, radio weirdness, and fog light weirdness, have they checked for the crushed wiring loom issue that was an intermittent assembly issue for a period (so far nobody has reported issues with it with a build date past 3/15). It can lead to shorting and cause all sorts of random can-bus issues and cause the BCM to wind up fried.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what jeep has to do with you hitting road debris or having a sidewall sliced unless you are implying that the sidewall damage was due to under-inflation due to a leak due to bad tires.

As for blown fuses, radio weirdness, and fog light weirdness, have they checked for the crushed wiring loom issue that was an intermittent assembly issue for a period (so far nobody has reported issues with it with a build date past 3/15). It can lead to shorting and cause all sorts of random can-bus issues and cause the BCM to wind up fried.
I am handing the keyboard over to my husband for his ASE certified opinion. Please delete my account after this as I do not want anything else to do with your stupidity. Others can state that they are having issues but you seem to seek me out and post ignorant information.

first and foremost sir. lets start with this you might need update yourself on electrical diagrams and mechanical ones to for that matter. i can work and have worked on cars ranging from grandmas station wagon to NASCAR stock cars. I have a specific certification to work and diagnose electrical issues i have done it at the Richard Petty experience many times and know it all to well. next thing i have a real issue with the fact that the genius bar at Jeep did not make enough tires for their awful product. (for those of you who do not know this TIRES ARE NEEDED TO MOVE A CAR. ) Just for you RAZ next thing we do not have 2014 Renegades just 2015 and all were built after 03/17/2015. I have spoken to three Jeep Engineers and their explanation is just as brain dead and foolish as yours they make absolutely no sense at all. Also you would have to be the most special person in the automotive industry to ever think a computer patch will fix a transmission. Thats called good ole fashion turning some bolts and getting dirty. in regards to your buyback program it is being replaced on Monday because unlike fools like you i know what a car should and should not do and i would love to have an apprentice. never hurts for someone, especially people like you who troll forums yet know nothing, to learn what people who work on garbage like Chrysler everyday have to go through you might have an educated response to people. if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

· Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Wow, lots of things going on in that post.
First off, really sorry that you had numerous problems and have to have it bought back I can see why you're mad and everything but....

We weren't saying/suggesting that Jeep doesn't do buy backs but posting that they are going to buy back ALL Renegades is not correct. Also saying that ALL Renegades were built after 3/15 is incorrect.

Raz is not a troll or a fool and just trying to sort through your list and suggest things that could have been going on in yours based on other people's posts on the issues. Also based on his own experience with having a software update which yes, is a thing.

Like I said I'm really sorry to see your list of issues and that the dealer couldn't get it all fixed up and have you back into your Renegade.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I am handing the keyboard over to my husband for his ASE certified opinion. Please delete my account after this as I do not want anything else to do with your stupidity. Others can state that they are having issues but you seem to seek me out and post ignorant information.

first and foremost sir. lets start with this you might need update yourself on electrical diagrams and mechanical ones to for that matter. i can work and have worked on cars ranging from grandmas station wagon to NASCAR stock cars. I have a specific certification to work and diagnose electrical issues i have done it at the Richard Petty experience many times and know it all to well. next thing i have a real issue with the fact that the genius bar at Jeep did not make enough tires for their awful product. (for those of you who do not know this TIRES ARE NEEDED TO MOVE A CAR. ) Just for you RAZ next thing we do not have 2014 Renegades just 2015 and all were built after 03/17/2015. I have spoken to three Jeep Engineers and their explanation is just as brain dead and foolish as yours they make absolutely no sense at all. Also you would have to be the most special person in the automotive industry to ever think a computer patch will fix a transmission. Thats called good ole fashion turning some bolts and getting dirty. in regards to your buyback program it is being replaced on Monday because unlike fools like you i know what a car should and should not do and i would love to have an apprentice. never hurts for someone, especially people like you who troll forums yet know nothing, to learn what people who work on garbage like Chrysler everyday have to go through you might have an educated response to people. if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Dear god, the amount of wrong in this post. Please, may you never work on my car.

1) There are people with build dates of 1/15. I agreed with you there were no 2014 renegades. However, there most definitely are buld dates before 3-17 out there, people on this board have them. The EU CERTAINLY has them as tehy were able to BUY the things before 3-17-15.

2) Jeep doesn't make the tires. Goodyear does. You can buy them on tire rack. What jeep keeps inventory of and what your dealer feels like doing about reimbursement is a different matter. On the issue of "that's not available" I'd definitely call the jeep customer support number, and ask them. You might just be dealing with a dealership that is being annoying for some reason.

But as for them existing, they do. Perhaps your dealer is trying to get you to opt for cheaper tires they get a discount on and will claim warranty reimbursement for more expensive tires. Hence the call jeep suggestion.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2015&autoModel=Renegade&autoModClar=Trailhawk

3) Transmissions. I just can't even fathom how you can be that wrong. We live in an era of computer controlled shift points, computer controlled electronic lock up toque converters. Learning algorithms for maximizing fuel economy and a zillion other things. The software can indeed make the transmission FEEL like it's broken when it physically is not. It can also convince the vehicle it is broken, and the car can put it in limp mode and then you really are stuck having to get it serviced. You could swap out valve bodies and fix jack. There's a person on the board that went through exactly that, and guess what. Flashing the TPM fixed it, not "getting dirty" with swapping a valve body that the tehcnicians did first for some reason. On top of that, bad software algorithm can physically trash the transmission. Like Jeep is experiencing with the cherokee. Changing algorithms to make it feel nicer caused too much heat build up, and now they are going toes up from the heat and friction. Bad software can break your transmission, make it feel broken, and make it not function. Fixing the software can make all that not happen. It can make a driveline problem vanish. This is what is colloquially referred to as BROKEN for the former situation and as FIXING it for the latter.

I shall firmly slot you in between the idiot with tools who makes statements on the regular such as "You can't turn 11s on pump gas" and the freakin physicist with a PHD in physics who wants to know why he can't get wireless signal in his lead lined radiation lab. FFS, some people make me want to pull my hair out.

· Registered
46 Posts
as i mentioned in previous posts; my renegade goes back in this wed to once again deal with the grring/vibrating sounds; this is what the service dept stated on the 1st attempt weeks ago.

customer: driving between 30 to 34 mph customer heres grinding and vibration through gas pedal.

dealer: couldnt duplicate abnormal vibration at this time. only think noticed is when cruising at this speed vehicle is usually in higher gear which lugs the engine and causes different driveline tones.

· Registered
184 Posts
My issue is long lead times to receive parts for the Renegade, like a month or more. When I contacted moparownerconnect (this week) and complained about it, I was told, if enough owners complained, they (Chrysler) might think about stocking of more Renegade parts in the U.S. He seemed to imply that I was the first to complain. The part I need is part of the panel behind the rear MySky panel; it's a gasket.

I thought I've read a number of posts here where others have complained about long lead times; maybe I'm wrong. Well, that's my issue, which isn't as intense as the OP's, and actually not as interesting.

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
My issue is long lead times to receive parts for the Renegade, like a month or more. When I contacted moparownerconnect (this week) and complained about it, I was told, if enough owners complained, they (Chrysler) might think about stocking of more Renegade parts in the U.S. He seemed to imply that I was the first to complain. The part I need is part of the panel behind the rear MySky panel; it's a gasket.

I thought I've read a number of posts here where others have complained about long lead times; maybe I'm wrong. Well, that's my issue, which isn't as intense as the OP's, and actually not as interesting.
At present Jeep (Fiat) can't build the Renegades fast enough. There is a demand for them and if they can't be built fast enough then parts aren't going to be stocked. I don't know what the ratio is for parts for production and parts as spares. Obviously the majority of parts are for the production line at present.

· Registered
358 Posts
3) Transmissions. I just can't even fathom how you can be that wrong. We live in an era of computer controlled shift points, computer controlled electronic lock up toque converters. Learning algorithms for maximizing fuel economy and a zillion other things.
Yes, definitely. I commented on this in another post--my old Spitfire is like a tinkertoy, and definitely responds to "getting dirty" and spinning wrenches, it produces about 1/3 the power the (actually slightly smaller) Fiat Multi-Air Turbo does, while using more gas. The Fiat engine does what it does specifically because it is electronically controlled--fuel injection of course, but even the intake valve timing/lift/duration is computerized (hence "multi-air").

But while I'm willing to let the computer control the engine, I'd still rather control the shifting myself--which is why I specifically bought a manual transmission Renegade. No computer-controlled shift points for this kid!

· Registered
46 Posts
So dealership along with a Chrysler rep that happened to take a drive in my 16 Trailhawk states that the rumbling noise in the rear couldnt be duplicated and speedometer being +/-1 on flat ground as being normal. Funny that i took the service mgr for a ride and guess what there the noise was and then took him for a ride in another renegade guess what the noise also repeated itself in that renegade that couldnt be duplicated. So, they will supposedly figure out the issue on the renegade and then fix my traihawk.

· Registered
46 Posts
09-02-16 Update

So, my Jeep Wave complaint made it up to the Resolutions Team to try and figure out a resolution to the issues I am having with the rumbling/vibration noise as well as the cosmetic damage to my bumper they caused.

Lady stated well if there are hundreds of posts about rumbling/vibration issues on this forum then maybe the renegade is supposed to sound that way by Chrysler and engineers.

I said "UHM F-ing NO", okay didnt say F-ing but told her that I am not driving this vehicle 6-7 days a week between 29-34 mph while hearing this 20+ times a week. That is not acceptable. If me and other renegade owners would have known about this, we wouldnt have bought it and/or even test drove it in that mph range.

Told her I offered the dealership the return of jeep at full purchase price wouldnt charge them for the accessories that were bought for it that cant be removed unless they want to cause more cosmetic damage. At the least would take a similiar jeep not a renegade like the cherokee that i had previously test drove.

She is supposed to follow-up with me every 2-3 days with an update. I will update you all as well.

· Registered
1 Posts
2016 Jeep Renegade

I've only had my Jeep for 4 months. Within the first month, I had something inone of my tires. Took it to thedealership, and they couldn't find anything of course. Took it to Les Schwab, and within 10 minutesthey found something in the tire and fixed it. It's crazy that they don't come with a spare tire. Next issue was with the gauges. The temperature cluster was turning the topbar on. Took it back in and was toldthat it was just a computer issue and the vehicle was fine to drive until theengineers could develop a flash for it. And now today, driving to work, my check engine light comes on. Next my transmission completely stops workingwhile the vehicle is in drive. It wouldnot go into reverse, just acted like it was in neutral. Had to have it towed to the dealership. Now I am without my car for who knows howlong. It's very frustrating to know thatI bought this vehicle and no one even seems to care at the dealership.

· Registered
1 Posts
Tonight my Renegade steering froze up on a dark desert highway. Multiple warnings going off power steering and traction control, my call was lost. I'm very lucky I did not have a fast vehicle behind me or something really bad could have happened. I'm furious and wondering if I made the right decision with this vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.