Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2016 renegade limited. A couple of days ago the FCW light came on. This was then followed by a stop light and parking light warning. It was booked in for later in the week to the dealership. Today the left signal warning came on and was double time on the dashboard and not working.
We changed the bulbs on the left hand rear cluster and it worked fine, no warnings at all when the car was started and even on a trip out. couple of hours later new journey all the lights came on again. Sods law it is 8days out of the 3 month warranty. Any suggestions before we take it to the dealership

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Like you I came out today and went to start the Renegade only to find some warnings ie bulb out, start stop disconnected and a few others that I no longer pay attention as I have become used to some of the finer working our electronic Jeep wizardry.

Cold weather affects our batteries extremely dramatically at anything less that 12.3 volts. But wait, it's a 12volt battery and that must mean it's charged but sadly not at 12.3v it's at the point of failing and becoming a dead battery.

So without any more ado here is what to try. Disconnect your earth cable at the battery and wait for 10 minutes. A full description can be offered as to what happens but you and I only need know this works. Now reconnect and start your engine and see if the errors still flash up.

If so then it's time for a little 20-30 minute in the Jeep to recharge it's battery using the alternator. Be aware that sometimes a fault code may clear itself during the drive just as my bulb warning reset itself this afternoon.

Once stopped and restarted, the start/stop warning had gone as usual. As it was expected to.

Finally if that doesn't work then fit a new battery with a high cranking amperage and preferally one known as AGM (Absorbed Glass mat) which is better than the old lead acid cell batteries.

Starting from the top of the post to the bottom is always preferable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cold weather affects our batteries extremely dramatically at anything less that 12.3 volts.
We've had VWs for decades now, with two Mk5's from 2009 currently. I know that low battery voltage (e.g., caused by an old battery) can really have weird effects on the electronics, like you guys are describing.

So how old is your battery?

Because its would be a concern to have any vehicle -- much less a Jeep -- that can't take cold weather with a good battery...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts