Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes, please post a picture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I saw it first day I had it

what is it for??
I noticed this too. I tried to research what this is for, but I can't find any information on it.

On the passenger side, under the floor mat, there is about a 3"x5" (going from memory) panel that pops open. I seem to recall there was a red sticker on something - but I couldn't read it; I think it had codes on it.

I don't have my Renegade Trailhawk at the moment to look at it and give more accurate information. My Renegade is currently in the shop due to faulty transfer unit thingy - posted info on another thread.

Quark

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Thanks for the picture; doubt that you will store much of anything in that small area (not a pistol). Maybe it is a good spot for several $20 bills for emergency cash.

·
Registered
610 Posts
From the photo, it's pretty clear it's nothing more than an access door to the VIN tag. It's exposed in most cars, but the way they designed the trim panel it got covered up... and to be legal they had to provide an access panel. IIRC, per law, they have to have the VIN number permanently affixed to specific locations.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The little door is there to provide access to the VIN number as stamped on the vehicle body itself.

Little vin number access points like this are common on European cars because at many old fashioned border crossings around the world the customs inspectors want to see the VIN number in other locations besides the dash plate we are used to seeing it on in the states. Usually, they want to see the engine serial number too--something that is not specified on American titles.

I once crossed numerous borders in a small Fiat I owned and got to know the routine fairly well. In that car, the body vin stamp was located under the spare tire in the trunk of the car - an extreme inconvenience as it would mean emptying practically everything in front of the inspectors just to prove the VIN.

Though the door is quite small, the cavity under the door is about 1" deep and 4.25" square - quite a bit larger than the opening.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Use caution before putting anything in that compartment. I checked mine out and there is an opening toward the rear that might swallow up small objects where they would be difficult to retrieve. I changed my mind and am not putting anything in there (was going to put in several $20 bills for an emergency).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.