Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have crossbars rated for a total load of 165#, which means each one is rated at 82.5#. Does anyone know the load capacity of the side rails, which the crossbars attach to?

I just purchased what is called an Over the Top Bike Rack, to avoid spoiler damage. The rack weighs in around 40#, the bike is 31#. I'm just trying to determine the strongest connection point. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the rails would be better because the load is split by 2 vs 1 crossbar. Any help would be much appreciated.

Another thing I'm wondering is, is the pulling force from the bike rack and bike considered the same as the direct downward load placed on the crossbars when using a roof rack?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Per the manual (I recall at least) The side rails are rated 160-200 LBS. Now adding roof rails doesnt add any capacity, so factor in a basket (if youre adding) weight as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Per the manual (I recall at least) The side rails are rated 160-200 LBS. Now adding roof rails doesnt add any capacity, so factor in a basket (if youre adding) weight as well.
I've seen a few members with tents on the roof of their Renegade to spend a night up there. Aren't they overloading the roof? Whatever flooring they have must be laid across the the side rails.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've seen a few members with tents on the roof of their Renegade to spend a night up there. Aren't they overloading the roof? Whatever flooring they have must be laid across the the side rails.

:| I have wondered the same, as I can only guess not everyone doing that kind of setup weighs less than 150lbs lol. I found a hitch mounted 2 'hammock' setup, that would def function for the chair portion..and no problems over loading the roof rails:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.