Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parts guy tells me that he does not think there can be a locking gas cap for the Renegade because of the capless design of the filler tube. He suggested there may be an aftermarket locking gas cap. Has anybody found one ?

Please note this is a concern for North American cars because our fuel fill door does not have a lock mechanism like the European cars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If someone wants your fuel bad enough they are going to get it either by finding a way to insert a hose to bypass the capless system or by simply punching a hole in your tank. I have always believed that a locking filler door or a locking cap keeps out the honest individuals. If someone wants to be nasty and add sugar or another substance to your tank, a locking door will not stop them either as most can be pried pretty easily. Hopefully the price of fuel is inexpensive enough where such antics are a thing of the past for the most part. As far as the jerks who want to pour something in your tank, well......

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Everyone with a capless filler will have one of those little funnels.
You can also buy them on amazon and ebay for next to nothing.
Perhaps there is another thing in the filler pipe which prevents fuel being syphoned.
Nothing to stop someone dropping something in though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lock may be what keeps the cap from flipping open while riding. Be sure you know what you are doing before you start.I don't think these locks are all that durable and might be able to be forced with a heavy screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.But i think Locksmith or dealer is the best option for unlocking any type of lock.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0 Diesel
28 Posts
Parts guy tells me that he does not think there can be a locking gas cap for the Renegade because of the capless design of the filler tube. He suggested there may be an aftermarket locking gas cap. Has anybody found one ?

Please note this is a concern for North American cars because our fuel fill door does not have a lock mechanism like the European cars.
Its 2020 I have a new Jeep renegade trailhawk Europe version, 2.0 Diesel - and it has no lock on the gas cap. Still an issue. I would like a gas door lock...

·
Registered
28 Posts
The lock may be what keeps the cap from flipping open while riding. Be sure you know what you are doing before you start.I don't think these locks are all that durable and might be able to be forced with a heavy screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.But i think Locksmith or dealer is the best option for unlocking any type of lock.
Its more for peace of mind....obviously not going to keep an intent individual out...but may dissuade the not so angry amateurs....

·
Registered
582 Posts
hahahahaha the information in the thread is the beginning of the conversation why the re write it
Because the users you're quoting have been inactive since as far back as 2016 and one account is even dead.

royalblue - inactive since 2018
27665 - inactive since 2017
joejamiejeep - inactive since 2016
syzygy - dead acount
odisjohnson - inactive since 2016

It's a dead post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your completely right my friend. But sometimes the actual text of the thread may be of value and since the text of the conversation is still available for me and you to read (as you have obviously read) may be useful to someone.
While I’m being a hypocrite in answering your criticisms, consider this my last comment on this topic.
My constructive criticism to you: Stop wasting time regulating and spend more time answering on topic.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your completely right my friend. But sometimes the actual text of the thread may be of value and since the text of the conversation is still available for me and you to read (as you have obviously read) may be useful to someone.
While I’m being a hypocrite in answering your criticisms, consider this my last comment on this topic.
My constructive criticism to you: Stop wasting time regulating and spend more time answering on topic.
You literally already started another entire thread dedicated to a locking cap. :ROFLMAO: Reviving dead posts from the grave while posting new topics on the same material is a waste time. This thread has nothing of use to anyone that wasn't already stated in your thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.