Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude has a loose tie rod and sway bar. Because of the design of the Jeep, the dealer said I can't just replace the tie rod. You actually have to replace the entire steering column too as it's all one part. Ultimately the dealer said it will be over $2200 ($900 part, +labor, +alignment), which is not ideal considering the car is only 3 years old.. Also took it to a mechanic in town and he quoted $1800. But he suggested selling it, and buying something else because he is fixing Renegades more than any other newer car. Anyone else have this issue? I love my Renegade, but it definitely wasn't made for the long haul.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So my 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude has a loose tie rod and sway bar. Because of the design of the Jeep, the dealer said I can't just replace the tie rod. You actually have to replace the entire steering column too as it's all one part. Ultimately the dealer said it will be over $2200 ($900 part, +labor, +alignment), which is not ideal considering the car is only 3 years old.. Also took it to a mechanic in town and he quoted $1800. But he suggested selling it, and buying something else because he is fixing Renegades more than any other newer car. Anyone else have this issue? I love my Renegade, but it definitely wasn't made for the long haul.
Not sure why they said the tie rods can not be replaced. Replacement tie rod ends are available for the Renegade everywhere. Did the dealer determine your rack and pinion assembly was damaged/defective as well? If not the tie rod's can be replaced alone and for substantially less. I'd also inquire further about what exactly is wrong with the sway bar. I don't like that that the sway bar bushings are basically non serviceable on the Renegade and when they go bad, dealers are replacing the whole sway bar assembly. Unless the bushings are bad (they should last more than 3 years unless you're doing some extreme off road) or the sway bar somehow got bent it shouldn't need replacing. I'd be asking more questions.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my Renegade's sway bar. It is usually the sway bar end links that start to make noise.
BUT, if I were to replace them (end links), I would pick up a set at my local parts store that had a warranty on their sway bar end links, and go with those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure why they said the tie rods can not be replaced. Replacement tie rod ends are available for the Renegade everywhere. Did the dealer determine your rack and pinion assembly was damaged/defective as well? If not the tie rod's can be replaced alone and for substantially less. I'd also inquire further about what exactly is wrong with the sway bar. I don't like that that the sway bar bushings are basically non serviceable on the Renegade and when they go bad, dealers are replacing the whole sway bar assembly. Unless the bushings are bad (they should last more than 3 years unless you're doing some extreme off road) or the sway bar somehow got bent it shouldn't need replacing. I'd be asking more questions.
So through further digging I found out that the entire Gear Assembly/ Gear Rack and Pinion have to be replaced when the inner tie rod end becomes loose... seems like a terrible design to me since the only issue is the inner tie rod. That is the Mopar part that cost $865. Ugh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So through further digging I found out that the entire Gear Assembly/ Gear Rack and Pinion have to be replaced when the inner tie rod end becomes loose... seems like a terrible design to me since the only issue is the inner tie rod. That is the Mopar part that cost $865. Ugh.
I have received that information from a dealership, as well as a independent mechanic. Do you think they are incorrect? I don't know the parts well enough so it's hard for me to argue.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have two 'amateur auto mechanic' ideas of what might be going on.
  1. Jeep service is not allowed to replace tie rod ends so they can only recommend replacing the whole assembly that gets shipped to them in a crate. or
  2. Somehow there is damage to the portion of the steering rack where the tie rods attach. I can't picture that happening, but not really my area of expertise.
If it were me, I'd ask them to show me exactly what is wrong and why specific parts need to be replaced. I might even take it to a Midas/Meineke kind of place to see what they say.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That story makes more sense than outer tie rods. If the inners are not serviceable aside from complete rack replacement, then yes, that's a big job and an expensive component.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting as I see an inner tie rod listed on rock auto even though not my first brand choice it is 25 dollars ... they must be replaceable somehow

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've seen the inner tie rod listed as a replaceable part as well. I'm not sure how this comes "loose" but nonetheless I suspect Jeep dealer knows its much simpler and profitable to remove and replace the whole assembly than to tear down and rebuild. As others have suggested, I would keep looking for a shop that can service the assembly as it should save some money in the end.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looking online, I'm not sure I'm seeing a Mopar inner tierod for our trucks. This may be why the dealer cannot perform this repair (they won't or can't use outside parts sources), and must replace the whole rack.

If inners are available in the aftermarket, and no special tools are required, this may be a job for a qualified independent shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and idea. Does anyone have an aftermarket brands that you have used or trust? I saw Mevotech has some good reviews on Tie Rod Ends.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and idea. Does anyone have an aftermarket brands that you have used or trust? I saw Mevotech has some good reviews on Tie Rod Ends.
I'm not sure about tie rod ends but I did not care for the Mevotech sway bar links. I found the metal to be soft and prone to stripping. I sent them back and got Moog which I've been happy with so far. I've found Moog to be a decent brand with parts I've used on other vehicles. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure about tie rod ends but I did not care for the Mevotech sway bar links. I found the metal to be soft and prone to stripping. I sent them back and got Moog which I've been happy with so far. I've found Moog to be a decent brand with parts I've used on other vehicles. Just my opinion...
Yeah I tried to find MOOG, but they only make the outer Tie Rod ends it looks like. Mevotech seems to be the only decent not OEM brand I can find that sells just the inner tie rod end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts