Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Losing Control with Windy Conditions

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  IDoMy0wnRacing 
#1 ·
Last night was one of the worst experiences of my life. I’ve been driving my 2016 Jeep Renegade for almost a year. I live in South Dakota where there’s a lot of wind. Yesterday my boyfriend drove back home and I followed him. It’s a three hour drive. He had no issues in his Impala. I on the otherhand could barely control my Jeep. I had to go 60 on the interstate ( speed limit is 80) and I was getting passed by semis. I started to lose control on a bridge. When I got on the highway I could only go 40 (speed limit is 70). it took me 4.5 hrs to get to where he lives when it should only take 3. I felt so unsafe. I’ve had this happen before but this was the worst. One weekend I had to have my boyfriend pick me up halfway because I couldn’t drive anymore.
Has this happened to anyone? I’m so freaked out and I need to drive home tomorrow in windy weather ?

#2 ·
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

Wow, my only question would be, were there icy conditions to go with the wind? I know that the Renegade is a brick (not very aerodynamic) and you can feel the wind while driving. But, I have never driven where is was so windy that I couldn't control the Jeep.

… okay, another question, lol Alignment could effect stability, especially in heavy wind. I would get my alignment checked. It wouldn't be a bad idea for any vehicle have their alignment checked, especially if you haven't ever had one done before. The Jeep is 3 years old. Maybe, we hit a pot hold or something/anything? or it could just be out of specification.

Oh, and the condition of your tires. Are your tires in good shape?

#3 ·
It was icy in one spot. But it’s been doing this the past five times I’ve ventured to my bfs.

I’m not too sure about that tires or alignment. I inherited this from my brother. Is that something they check during oil changes? Sorry I’m clueless lol.

I’m willing to get anything looked at. Honestly I would like to trade this sucker in lol after what I’ve experienced but it’s not my car and I’m broke ?

My boyfriend noticed it was pretty terrible handling in the wind. I have to go back home tomorow in some bad wind and I’m honestly terrified.

#4 ·
and enjoy the forum!

Dump the boy friend it sound like he is the problem! Just joking!!
You need to have the suspension and tires checked by a good mechanic.

I have a 4" lift and 35" on my wrangler and never had that problem our rain storms have 25 & up MPH winds in the summer

#7 ·
As was noted, this vehicle is NOT aerodynamic by any means. The wind will make it rock slightly. I've driven "square" vehicles my whole life so I'm pretty much immune to the buffering effect. It may seem like it's going to get blown off the road, but it won't, as long as you don't panic and over-correct your steering. That WILL make it worse and even put you in another lane. You may feel it start to "drift" so you try to correct it by moving your steering wheel. The wind passes, now you gotta correct the opposite way. In a sense, you are making it worse by reacting and make the vehicle "rock" even more.

After a while you probably won't even notice it anymore.

It seems to you that you are doing everything right, but you're not. Kind of like when I was teaching someone how to tow a trailer and it started to sway back and forth. The reaction is to slow down. That only makes the swaying worse. The correct procedure is to accelerate; hit the gas, You literally pull the trailer out of the sway. Works every time. He didn't believe me until he did it.

Also, does your Jeep have assorted crap strapped on it ? Things on the roof, light bars, roof racks, etc. ? Those are definite wind catchers, take everything off that you don't need for the current trip. No need to drive around with crap strapped on like you are about to travel across the Savanna of Africa when you are just going in to town for bread and milk. One guy in my neighborhood has SO much crap strapped on his Wrangler so he can go off the grid at a moments notice for, oh, 3 months or so. Water cans, gas cans, hi-lift jack, a full size shovel, rescue boards, ropes, straps, shackles, 5 or 6 off road lights, TWO full size spare tires.

He's never been off road.

#9 ·
It's a realatively light box sitting high off the ground. Hard cross winds are going to suck. It's not unique to the renegade in any way. If you don't have a lot of driving experience, it can be a handful. Eve if you do, it can be a bit tiring. Hold tight and resist pulls but generally don't counter steer. If getting huge gusts, you are likely going to have to counter steer.

You want fun, try dealing with heavy cross winds in a stripped out 1984 dodge caravan. By comparison with all the seats and interior still installed that thing was a box and weight ~2950lbs. The renegade if 4x4 weighs about 3200lbs. 3500 if it's a trailhawk. The caravan is about 10 inches longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.