Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tow truck driver lost our key fob. So, we gave our spare key fob to the dealership. When we got out Jeep back, we noticed the insert is missing which they say isn't their fault.
So, my question is: Where is the best place to get a new key fob and who should we have program it? We will not go back to this dealership. I just checked with a different dealership and they want $454. And do I have to get the insert made or can I just have a fob programmed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Forget replacing for a moment.

The tow truck driver lost our key fob.
Why are you responsible for the cost of a new set of keys?

we gave our spare key fob to the dealership. When we got out Jeep back, we noticed the insert is missing which they say isn't their fault.
Why again are you responsible for the fault of the Dealership? Let them prove that your Fob had no insert.

So, my question is: Where is the best place to get a new key fob and who should we have program it? We will not go back to this dealership. I just checked with a different dealership and they want $454. And do I have to get the insert made or can I just have a fob programmed?

Thanks in advance.
Your post can be read in 2 ways.

• Why are you so readliy accepting that a key loss is your fault and willing to pay the costs?
  • Why are you not complaing and being adamant that 2 companies have lost/damaged your keys?
It almost reads as if you knowingly lost the keys and are merely looking for a cost to replace the key.

The alternative is that you are willing to lie back and readily accept that the recovery company and Dealership are correct and that you don't care.

I know I would personally be in the Dealership arguing my case and demanding that the issue is resolved or they meet me in Court to face a lawsuit as you call them.

Perhaps I am way off the mark but it's simply the way I have read your post and I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forget replacing for a moment.

Why are you responsible for the cost of a new set of keys?

Why again are you responsible for the fault of the Dealership? Let them prove that your Fob had no insert.

Your post can be read in 2 ways.

• Why are you so readliy accepting that a key loss is your fault and willing to pay the costs?
  • Why are you not complaing and being adamant that 2 companies have lost/damaged your keys?
It almost reads as if you knowingly lost the keys and are merely looking for a cost to replace the key.

The alternative is that you are willing to lie back and readily accept that the recovery company and Dealership are correct and that you don't care.

I know I would personally be in the Dealership arguing my case and demanding that the issue is resolved or they meet me in Court to face a lawsuit as you call them.

Perhaps I am way off the mark but it's simply the way I have read your post and I hope I am wrong.
Trust me, I have filed claims/complaints against both the dealership and Chrysler, since it was Chrysler's tow truck driver that came out in the first place. As far as the dealership goes, it's my husband's word against the technician and they refuse to work with us. So, in the interim we still need back up on our key/fob. We aren't rolling over on this!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Now you understand why you need to supply information to further your case when presenting a scenario.

On this forum are a few people that had to differentiate fact from fiction within their working jobs and had a variety of skills to do so when working within the public eye.

It is never intended to be rude but often appears like a cross examination from a court room until eventually the facts are presented.

Would it be more desirable to you if I were to ask that you keep all receipts for any work carried out. Include any time off work if necessary to attend a garage. Keep note of hours travelled and time spent within the Dealership premises. In essence just keep a note of everything that you do in that can be claimed in monetary recompense in the off chance you take your issue to Court.

I know I would.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First, to address your specific (and implied) questions, $454 for a new key with immobilizer transponder and programming is quite cough "reasonable" for this sort of thing. At least normal.

I'm not certain about Jeep, but with VW keys (as of a decade ago) there are two things that need to be electronically programmed with a new key: 1) The circuitry for the remote to lock/unlock the doors, which i believe can be done with a proper scan tool; and 2) the immobilizer transponder, which a dealer absolutely has to do (unless you transplant the transponder from one key fob to another). They're two separate functions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "insert." Is that the physical emergency key? Hard to prove, I think, that the dealer lost that. Why would they have had to fool with the insert?

Better bet is to go after the tow company. They had your first key; else how did they get the vehicle on and off their tow truck? At what point did you see it was missing?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Mobile homes in the UK are what we think the USA call trailer parks and where some music originated from.

I must admit that the camels are a lovely image and I would love that life but sadly it's not to be.

Do you see my red Renegade in the 1st image. That's the 1st week of owning my caravan. Second image shows my fire helmet as a flower pot. A souvenir of retiral and the Renegades rear wheel to the side.

All we need is Coronovirus to be lifted so the world can enjoy itself.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Trailer parks? Be happy with them if they all look as good as you suggest :D;)

Camels are 100% smelly animals but then again I have been in many an unsanitary residence and believe me the camel wins it as the place to stand beside (y)(y):p

Helmets? Look at the middle guy with a set of goggles placed on his helmet! I was fortunate to have that gold visor in the picture combined with an integral flip down clear visor but hey thats another story ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts