Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Renegade Sport 2wd has about 1000 miles on it and when I first shift it into reverse after its been parked for a while, there's a loud metallic, double-click noise. I can shift it back into park and then back to reverse and it won't do it again. I'm planning on taking it into the dealer but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Check out the video of it doing it on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/0DxdsLWGzMU

·
Registered
753 Posts
My Renegade Sport 2wd has about 1000 miles on it and when I first shift it into reverse after its been parked for a while, there's a loud metallic, double-click noise. I can shift it back into park and then back to reverse and it won't do it again. I'm planning on taking it into the dealer but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Check out the video of it doing it on YouTube:
Ack! Sounds wrong! When you say "parked for a while" - is that like an average work day? Or something like over the weekend?

I normally back into spaces as well as my driveway, so Reverse isn't the first gear I shift into after starting my 4wd Renny-Lat, but I'll give it a try this evening - when I leave campus about 5pm-ish Eastern - and see what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It always does it when I leave for work in the morning and it's been parked overnight. My driveway has a little bit of a down slope to the road, but not any more than a normal short driveway, but I wonder if that could have something to do with it because it doesn't always do it when I leave work after 8 hours, and if it does it's not as bad, maybe just one click sound. Strange isn't it ?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
same here with my limited but only happen when i park in downhill .every time i park downhill i hit reverse clicking noise will come out .

·
Registered
753 Posts
So, I've made a point to always put my Renny-Lat into reverse first, the past couple days, and so far no clunking noise as your video showed. Granted, I'm on a flat surface @ home in the driveway, as well as @ campus in the parking lot - so maybe that's the difference...

Have you had a chance to talk with the dealer yet?

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Hmm actually happened to me yesterday in my usual parking spot in the morning. It was repeatable until I actually let the car move. Once it moved it couldnt be reproduced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you select reverse, one of the two dog clutches has to be engaged. Sometimes this can lead to a noise. Making sure the TCM software is up to date and followed by a solenoid/valvebody learn routine as well as a quicklearn usually resolves this noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All,
Sorry for the belated reply. It is most definitely not the rear wiper and my parking brake is never on. I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday, Saturday morning, and they couldn't reproduce it, of course! Good thing I recorded it because the technician admitted that something was not right and he wanted to keep it until at least Monday so he could really go over it. Thank goodness they gave me a loaner. I'll let you know what comes of it once I hear back from the dealer. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Making sure the TCM software is up to date and followed by a solenoid/valvebody learn routine as well as a quicklearn usually resolves this noise.

Is there some way of finding out what version of the TCM software we have? Or is this something only the dealer can tell us? And then the learn routine and the quick-learn process - is this like a (re)break-in period?

Honestly, only being a Jeep-geek in my spare time, I don't always grasp the very-technical speak, ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you get it back give it a week or so of putting the parking brake on before you let off the brake pedal when you stop. When starting up press and hold the brake pedal before turning off the parking brake and putting it in reverse. See if you notice it more or less frequently. May be a waste of time, but may not be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup! Mine makes the same noise when I leave for work in the AM and leave work for the PM so it is parked for 8 hrs. Took it to dealer because I was also having transmission issues. They insisted nothing was wrong-I do not have a good feeling about this!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there some way of finding out what version of the TCM software we have? Or is this something only the dealer can tell us? And then the learn routine and the quick-learn process - is this like a (re)break-in period?

Honestly, only being a Jeep-geek in my spare time, I don't always grasp the very-technical speak, ?
Sorry. This is something you'd have the Dealer do while it's there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Speaking of which, aren't there software upgrades that we should be able to do for our vehicles if they were from one of the first batches prior to them being held in Toledo a month or so ago?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a call yesterday and they can reproduce it and they are consulting a Chrysler technician because the don't know what it is. :( I'm stopping by the shop later to pick up my other keys I didn't think I'd need so I will tell them what RenegadeTech said as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last week they replaced the transmission mount. It still makes the same noise, just not as loud. It's more of a thumk than a clank. Now there is a new sound that just started yesterday when I have the car in park and hit the brake pedal. It's a clicking/clanking coming from the transmission and steering column at the same time. It's going back in on Friday. Here's a video of that noise. I thought someone else was having this problem too, but I couldn't find the thread.
https://youtu.be/hJSWByI_vMQ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.