Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Jeep fans out there,
-----------------------
spec's-
*2017 Renegade Latitude
*9 speed automatic 2.4 liter

I purchased a used 2017 Renegade Latitude a month ago. I'm loving it, I live in North Dakota and winters can be nasty. This vehicle is getting me around snow drifts and icy roads like nobody's business. (Even took it ice fishing on a snowy lake... awesome performance!)

I'm hoping I get can some feedback on gas mileage. I've been averaging 15 MPG for the last few tank fills, that's driving in town between 25 to 45 MPH. The specs say it should get up to 24 MPG city, 31 highway.

I haven't been using 4 wheel drive when considering these factors, and it has been COLD (0 to negative temps). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced lower than expected in-town MPG with the Renegade. Could cold factors affect mileage (assuming no, but an open question).

Thanks for you feedback!!

Sincerely,
Daniel

·
Registered
116 Posts
OUCH! I noticed my wife had been getting 18-19mpg just here on the farm and on gravel roads for a week. So, winter, in town or at slow speeds stop & go, may be about what we were getting? Then we got on the highway and we're back to 27-28 mpg even in windy conditions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds about right considering the temps and speeds you've been driving. I've been surprised at just how poor the 2.4 is from a MPG perspective...probably my biggest gripe considering it's mostly a FWD vehicle (when on dry roads) it's unfortunate the mpg isn't better, Jeep lags on the efficiency compared to others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I would provide an interesting factoid on this subject-

A few days ago I was doing about 55 on the highway, and my "service engine" light came on. I brought it into the Jeep dealership the next day, and they ran diagnostics. Turns out the engine's thermostat was on the fritz and needed to be replaced.

From my understanding, if the thermostat isn't functioning properly, it causes the engine to overheat, under-heat, or do both sporadically.

This can have a fairly significant impact on fuel economy. Now that the thermostat has been replaced, I will be watching MPG closely to see what kind of difference this makes. Will post again in a couple weeks :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thought I would provide an interesting factoid on this subject-

A few days ago I was doing about 55 on the highway, and my "service engine" light came on. I brought it into the Jeep dealership the next day, and they ran diagnostics. Turns out the engine's thermostat was on the fritz and needed to be replaced.

From my understanding, if the thermostat isn't functioning properly, it causes the engine to overheat, under-heat, or do both sporadically.

This can have a fairly significant impact on fuel economy. Now that the thermostat has been replaced, I will be watching MPG closely to see what kind of difference this makes. Will post again in a couple weeks :)
Any update on MPG? Improvement? I picked up a new 2017 4x4 a couple weeks ago and love everything about it except the MPG, averaging about 19.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018 Latitude here with a little over 1400 miles on it. Spring in New England so no 4WD usage yet. I have been averaging 24.3 in every day driving (highway and some back roads commuting). We took her to Boston last weekend and riding the pike around 80mph I was getting 26.7 during the trip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
one of my tripmeters has been on since the day I bought 3029mi ago...it says 19.1mpg.....some 4x4ing and a couple long trips over 200mi round trip and the rest city....so it's fair I guess....but I still think the mpg is overstated on the window sticker....just bought a 2018 Chrysler 300 before they redesign it and with a 3.6 pentastar it's getting 18.7 mostly city driving no long trips yet....so yes renegade gets poor/overstated mpg.....oh and it eats 1/2 quart of oil every couple thousand miles...pentastar not a drop.....so idk....but I still like the jeep 4x4 capability

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had my Renegade for almost a month. I average 26 MPG combined. Probably would do better if I tried to not drive it like my old Mini JCW (still got 31 combined)... I drive a lot of hills so that may be influencing the millage as well. Everyone should never believe what the window sticker states as mileage as I believe those are creating using a very controlled environment vs. real world driving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the 2 weeks I've had mine, it's been 90% suburban/city driving, a little highway, and usually in traffic (SoCal). Average of 19 is well below the advertised 24mpg, but to be fair it hasn't been on the highway much yet. Hopefully it'll improve over time as the engine breaks in (only about 300 miles on it so far).

·
Registered
178 Posts
One thing I found recently is with the auto climate control, it kicks on the AC in the background and that has impacted mpg. I change to manual climate and control it, which helps.

I'm getting ~24 mpg around town (50/50 highway/city). Getting ready to take a long trip on a few weeks, so it'll be interesting to see how it does on that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had my Renegade for almost a month. I average 26 MPG combined. Probably would do better if I tried to not drive it like my old Mini JCW (still got 31 combined)... I drive a lot of hills so that may be influencing the millage as well. Everyone should never believe what the window sticker states as mileage as I believe those are creating using a very controlled environment vs. real world driving.
The only vehicles that I have had that have met or beat the window sticker are my current Jeep GC 3.0....beats it on the hiway.....almost meats it in the city........and a 2006 VW TDi....with a euro ECM installed it always beat the window sticker both in the city and on the hiway......even driving it like I stole it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Daniel! Cold weather conditions plus slow town driving is the ultimate worst mpg in Renegade. My typical back and forth driving to work mpg is around 16-18 mpg very low speeds and some inclines. Now, I routinely have to make highway trips and the mpg jumps up to high 20’s low 30’s very easily. The city mpg on all cars is overstated and the highway is understated. Now my Renegade is 4x4 so my epa is only 21/29/23.

·
Registered
676 Posts
For some reason, my jeep is getting better. from 25 mpg highway when new, to 29 mpg highway a couple of years later. I currently have a mixed ave of 28.5 in town/highways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The sticker for my 2017 Limited says 21 City, 29 Highway, and that's exactly what I get. Unfortunately, most of my driving is City.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Daniel,
I know this is months later but I bought my Renegade last July (2017). I have a 4x4 Latitude with the 2.4L as well.
I had issues with it not starting for the year and finally got it fixed from Jeep. It was the "relay" that sends the signal to the starter.
So, I was focused on getting that fixed up until now.
Anyway, I have been getting 16 mpg. I just brought it in to the Jeep dealer for several Flash updates.
One to the DriveTrain Control Module (DTCM) the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
We'll see if it helps.
I drive 99% in the city. I have the stock tires on it. As a matter of fact, everything is stock.
So far it seems the same??
I once brought it in to Jeep before the car had starting issues and they told me the average changes all the time because I was showing
16mpg, not 21 in the city that it should be getting.
Just wanted to say that there is someone else out there.
Ellen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty sure there is a recall on certain Renegades from 2017 regarding a fan/thermostat and an overheating engine.
Go to NHTSA.gov to see if your Rene has been affected. Plug in your VIN. The recall literally just came out August 2, 2018 I believe.
I found it on carcomplaints.com to the best of my recollection.
Jeep is going to send out notices. Wonder if this is the issue?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pretty sure there is a recall on certain Renegades from 2017 regarding a fan/thermostat and an overheating engine.
Go to NHTSA.gov to see if your Rene has been affected. Plug in your VIN. The recall literally just came out August 2, 2018 I believe.
I found it on carcomplaints.com to the best of my recollection.
Jeep is going to send out notices. Wonder if this is the issue?
I am on several of the FB groups and it seems to happen to 15 and 16's also. The fan being the major issue. After seeing the new fan installed, I checked mine. I have the old fan, so it is a matter of time before it goes. Most report that the fan goes around 30k-40k miles. I am at 31k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also thermostat. Engine light, therm replaced and since then barely 20 mpg. Taking it on a little hwy drive tomorrow and the dealer is reluctantly going to look this week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts