Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2020 Renegade Sport AWD with the 2.4 and automatic transmission. I have been fine with the transmission behavior at lower speeds. It shifts quickly, is peppy from a standing start and when going full throttle at lower speeds. Overall,I am very pleased with the Renegade. However, at 70 mph or so, the transmission downshifting at full throttle is anemic and the acceleration painfully slow. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has the Autoflash tuning. Does it significantly help the problem I have described? I realize it is a four banger but also have a six speed manual 2018 Compass AWD with the same engine and it does much, much better when accelerating at higher speeds. Thanks for any feedback!

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,077 Posts
I've got a 2020 Renegade Sport AWD with the 2.4 and automatic transmission. I have been fine with the transmission behavior at lower speeds. It shifts quickly, is peppy from a standing start and when going full throttle at lower speeds. Overall,I am very pleased with the Renegade. However, at 70 mph or so, the transmission downshifting at full throttle is anemic and the acceleration painfully slow. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has the Autoflash tuning. Does it significantly help the problem I have described? I realize it is a four banger but also have a six speed manual 2018 Compass AWD with the same engine and it does much, much better when accelerating at higher speeds. Thanks for any feedback!
Hello mslatoaster,

Thank you for reaching out!

The AutoFlash is one of our more popular upgrades for the Renegade as the automatic transmission does seem to be a common complaint.

Hopefully there are some members here who will share their experiences.

In the mean time please don't hesitate to drop us a line at 512-982-9393 TX or 562-981-6800 CA and one of our Technical Advisors will be happy to chat with you and help see if the AutoFlash can remedy the problem you are having.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
684 Posts
best move i made with my 2017 trailhawk, i have a heavy foot and the trans. responds perfectly, no lag, no accell. problems. auto flash pricey but imo worth it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the “Go pedal” and Autoflash on my 2018 2.4 , had the Go pedal first then bought the Autoflash as I wasn’t real happy with the weak shifts of the auto. Mind you, the Go -pedal makes a huge difference throttle RESPONSE but does nothing for the lag / drag when shifting gears, that’s where the Autoflash made the difference for me…when the trans shifts there’s no lag, it’s not more “firm” which I kinda was expecting, but it eliminates the lag/ drag….I will say the Go-pedal made such an impact to the character of the jeep I was expecting the same oh wow! from the Autoflash but it’s a more subtle mod, noticeable yes,but subtle.

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,077 Posts
It seems to me that anything that makes these claims is asking for a big repair bill. The Renegade is pretty powerful for its segment. The Autoflash has to be pushing and probably breaking pre-determined software and mechanical limits. Their advert alludes to them having the secret sauce so they can't REALLY tell you how it works. The GoPedal seems like a harmless tool that keeps people from having to press harder on the accelerator......Lots of $$ to spend to be lazy. The transmission AutoFlash snake oil though? Playing with fire. The ZF engineers aren't going to be outdone by some backstreet boys playing jail break with an uber pricey scan tool. Leave it alone or sell it and get a vehicle you WANT to drive just as it comes. You probably won't but we all gotta learn those lessons. Best of luck!

Jay
Hello,

Here is some info that may help folks:

1. We were one of the first people in our area to purchase a Renegade when they first came out.
2. We have owned one since the start and have heavily modified it with a number of products over time.
3. Our own Renegade was used as a test bed for many products we have released over the years in addition to many local owners that we have worked with.
4. We have never sold "snake oil" or any product that we felt would cause damage to the vehicle.
5. We have been offering the AutoFlash for years across many FCA platforms with ZERO issues.
6. 100's and 100's of Renegade owners have purchased, installed and used our MADNESS GOPedals and Autoflash with no issues
7. The Autoflash has been on the market since 2012 for this transmission and to date there has been zero reported issues due to the use of this product
8. We operate two walk in locations (CA and TX) at which we have modified countless Jeep Renegades over the many years they have been out
9. We have also been an active member on this forum and are always here to answer any questions and/ or concerns

The GOPedal and AutoFlash are some of our best reviewed and most popular upgrades for the Jeep Renegade, to claim it is "snake oil" is simply not true.

Last thing to note:

Not every upgrade is right for everyone. Most folks would see the benefit adding a GOPedal and/ or an Autoflash to their list of upgrades and love them once they are installed there are some that may wish to spend their money on other upgrades. We offer a wide variety of options and are always just a phone call or an email away if anyone ever has a question.

Reactions: jeff1

·
Registered
684 Posts
i push my trailhawk (2017) on the road probably more than anyone else. i had a 2006 cobra before this 189hp Jeep, and am not afraid to push its limit. the trans Autoflash corrected lag at start acceleration and tightened up all shift points and will down shift at 70 mph when needed. won't put you back in the seat like my cobra did, but will move a little quicker for a few seconds. autoflash pricey but imo works well

·
Registered
31 Posts
If this giant response to ONE cautionary post where I point out what are pretty obviously questionable claims isn't enough to make you hesitate then by all means. Just blame FCA when something goes wrong, right?

Exaggerated raspberry BP

Jay
Jay don’t be a feminine cleansing devise. By all means provide your engineering background. Think you like to just flap your lips in the wind. Or are you a Internet forum gangsta? Be well my friend!

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Renegade Altitude 1.3L 4WD
50 Posts
I’ve owned a 2017 FWD 2.4 and a 2019 FWD 2.4, the 2017 I pretty much drove in manual mode all the time as I felt it shifted better and was slightly more lively that way. The 2019 I modded quite a bit (Pedal Commander, Autoflash, Intake, Header, Exhaust, Madness ECM, ported throttle body, and valve spring upgrade.) I can’t speak to the benefits of those specifically alone, but I can say the above modifications made my Renny a completely different ride. Shifting was firm and precise, no lag on the pedal, and she ran like a champ. I had a programming issue with the Pedal Commander which required a reflash as it was causing a throttle pedal fault and going into limp mode, but once that was sorted I never had another issue. I traded her in simply because I wanted the color combo and turbo engine I have now. She was driven hard, and I was satisfied with the products 100%. Is the Autoflash pricey… yes will I buy another one for my 2022, no. I have the same pedal commander, custom intake, cat-back, and GFB Diverter w/ BOV Plate and I’m happy right now. I may look into more tuning down the line, but I’m hesitant with the Autoflash solely because it’s not transferable between vehicles. Would be great if there was a way to unlock the unit and sell it or possibly even have it reflashed for another vehicle much like you are able to do with SCT and Diablosport tuners. As I have the unit from my 2019 and it’s essentially trash at this point. Just my .02

·
Registered
684 Posts
So I post a cautionary post and that makes me a douche? Somehow using common sense and stating it in a post along with my opinion equals me wanting to be an internet gangster? If you use AutoFlash and your tranny goes out, and the tech finds you were using AutoFlash, I can pretty mach guarantee it won’t be covered and repaired under warranty. Like I said, if it all looks kosher to you by all means. I’m not gonna call you a douche for having a different opinion. Nor will I ask you to whip out your non existent engineering skills. I don’t need engineering skills to see the red flags going off with this product. I hope you get it and it’s wonderful and everything you hope it will be. I think it’s ok for there to be ONE SINGLE opinion posted that isn’t raving about this product.

Jay
you talk the talk now prove the autoflash is no good. i know what works and the trans may learn but sucks at initial acceleration and is sloppy shifting. the autoflash corrected those problems on my trailhawk, not the so called trans learning curve. Be safe and enjoy this site

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry if you think reviews that don’t match your perceived knowledge of something you have no real world experience with are “shill”, I’ve owned and modded over 50 cars/ trucks in my lifetime, some mods work better than others, the ones I have done to my Renegade work as I have stated. Cars and modding cars is a hobby I enjoy, not everyone understands that, just as I don’t understand people that will spend 1000$$ on golf clubs, boats and other hobbies…I enjoy improving on what car manufacturers have to offer and when asked give an honest assessment of any add that I have ACTUALLY used, will give it…

·
Registered
684 Posts
I wasn’t saying that the tranny changed by itself. I was saying that it may adjust in its own making the need for AutoFlash redundant. If it works for you that’s great I’m glad. But you don’t know how or why it works just that you plugged something in and perceived it worked as far as you can tell. Last thing I’d want is someone’s Jeep to crap the bed so I could be right. I don’t even care if I am. Fact is reviews are difficult to find for this that are realistic and not shill crazy. The ones I think are real I do find state results are not exciting. Where are the companies competing? No other companies offering a similar product that I can find. Hell, I wish all these contraptions worked like they say they do.

Jay
i probably modified and raced cars before you were born. SCT. diablo, and other tuning sites have been around for years with no problems. i used SCT tuning on my cobra, turned high 11's without a super charger and never had a problem. I use and trust Maddness autoworks trans mod.

·
Registered
684 Posts
you do not quit WHAT is your expertise? RELEASE TORQUE, has nothing to do with shifting. you known squat. teenbopper, are you old enough to drive. i am an 83 year old Seal, you do not know BS. you just like to stir the pot, i would not spend $500 for some more torque on a manual trans., but did spend $500 for better shifting of a sluggish nine speed trans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts