Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed a round trip from Pittsburgh to Chicago. During the trip, I noticed a hum/scratching coming from the transmission when in 5th and 6th at highway speeds between 65 to 75 mph. The majority of the driving done was on the highway, so it wasn't like I was shifting between gears often unless there was some sort of traffic. I pulled over twice and noticed that it was somewhat difficult to shift down (the shifter seemed stiff and the gates where hard to go through). While stopped, I moved the shifter through all the gates to "loosen up" the shifter in a sense. Every time I did this and got back on the road, the humming/scratching would go away for a few hundred miles. Temperatures were within normal range, some light rain both ways, nothing out of the ordinary other than driving long distances with very little to no slow down or stops. No loss of power and loss of clutch engagement.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar in short or long trips?

· Registered
604 Posts
Hmm. This is the first I've heard of this or pretty much any problem with the manual transmission. The hum/scratching sound doesn't sound good at all. The source of the noise could be the clutch or the shift linkage, something could be out of place and resonating at that speed. 5th and 6th are on the same shaft, so it could also be the dog gear on that shaft.

When you pulled over and worked the shifter through the gears, were all the gates difficult to get through, or just 5th/6th? If it was all of them then I'd focus on the clutch and linkage.

Either way, I think a visit to the dealer is in order. Sorry to not be of more help, but this is a new one on me.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@CLShifter it was difficult to move through all the gears the first time around. By the 4th time (the last time) it wasn't as difficult to move through the gates. My initial thought was the clutch but come on...at less than 10k miles? I'm due for a visit in about a tank and a half. So far, since I've gotten back, I haven't had any issues during my routine commute. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'll shoot the service department an email and schedule an appointment. I may also have them check my thermostat and/or the temp sensor as I was having an issue with that a few weeks ago.

· Registered
604 Posts
@CLShifter. My initial thought was the clutch but come on...at less than 10k miles?
It's certainly not unheard of, and the symptoms you're seeing would not be caused by "clutch wear" as in wear of the clutch disk, but maybe a problem with other parts of the clutch, such as the fork or spring, maybe due to a defective part.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Service appointment is set for the 31st. Out of curiousity, I drove about 20 miles on the highway with the 4x4 engaged. No issues there. No odd sounds. No weird feedback from the transmission in any form. However, about 60 miles into todays drive, I did notice a bit of vibration coming from the floorboard. This was noticed when in neutral with the clutch disengaged. For S&Gs I decided to get under there and feel around. I had a coworker help me with some motor/ trans mount testing. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the engine but did notice a bit of movement from the transmission. I'll have them check the mounts first when it's up on a lift. I'll do my best to be involved during the process once at the dealership. I need to satisfy my curiosity and I need to know if this is something likely to happen again. Wish me luck folks.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Initial appointment came up "inconclusive"
A tech from the dealer and I put 140 miles on the Jeep and could not replicate anything.

However, just a few weeks ago I rolled in for the Jeeps 10k check up and oil change. There was some sort of "update" involved along with an oil change and inspection of brakes, tires, etc.

Since I've had it back, there has been a sort of burning plastic smell after any sort of driving. The smell is more noticeable after longer drives and when the AC is going. Not only does it smell inside but the smell is somewhat stronger outside mostly on the passanger side. No heated seats or heated sideview mirrors or anything like that. It doesn't smell like burnt clutch or anything mechanical. Definitely an electrical/ plastic sort of burning smell. Opened the hood and it seems like the smell is coming from close to the firewall but not sure if it's from the top side or underside. No visual indications of smoke or fire.

Another trip to the dealer Tuesday

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.