Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 2016 75th Anniversary Manual Transmission 4x2 Renegade today and twice I had an issue shifting between 3rd & 4th gears. I have driven 2 other Renegades (2015 and 2016), and did not experience this. I wonder if it's just this specific vehicle or if others have experienced this at all?

Also, I'm interested in how others view their Renegades (Manual Transmissions) after having them for a while.

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I was able to recreate the problem while parked as well, and 3rd and 4th gear was non-functional until I moved the stick all the way to the right between 5/6 and released it to fall back into neutral; then I was able to push up into 3rd back back into 4th.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bet that one had a bad trans, my 16 75th 4wd manual is fine shifting wise. Doesn't shift quickly, it doesn't like that lol, but if you drive it like a Jeep, runs like a champ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I suspect a bad transmission too, but wonder if it's possible it could be something else that's causing the issue intermittently . Since it's a holiday weekend, the service department is not available to take a look at the vehicle. I don't want to buy a vehicle that has this issue out of the gate, then spend weeks/months trying to prove that it's happening. :-( Unfortunately, I'm caught up in the VW TDI scandal so I have to find something that works soon.

·
Registered
829 Posts
2-3 is a special slow kinda shift, but nothing that driving a diesel with a stick doesn't do lol.

I'd request that they replace the trans off the bat or find another one.

Anyhow, love this transmission and setup I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have almost 2000 miles on my 2016 purchased on 5/28. My tranny shifts smoothly and easily both upshifting and downshifting. The demonstrator I drove shifted the same way. One of the easiest shifting trannys I have ever owned. I suspect there may be a problem with the shifter linkage itself requiring alignment or adjustment. This problem seems to be unusual and should be fixed before anyone buys the vehicle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's a lovely shift - classic Italian -(except Ferrari!) light, precise and easy. Actually MAKES you want to change gear.
You can change gear imperceptibly on this vehicle - up or down.
A cracking part of the whole vehicle dynamics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's a lovely shift - classic Italian -(except Ferrari!) light, precise and easy. Actually MAKES you want to change gear.
You can change gear imperceptibly on this vehicle - up or down.
A cracking part of the whole vehicle dynamics.
Absolutely agree The manual transmission on the renny is superb for sure. Moving through the gears from 2nd up to 6th is as smooth as silk. I for one thought it would be notchy for a larger vehicle but to me its totally seamless.

Always try another manual renegade in order to make a comparison as to whether its a bad transmission or its the norm for a 75th, but i doubt that would be the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Manual Transmission-UPDATE

First off, thanks to everyone who offered feedback and experiences with their Renegades.

I went back to the dealership and spent some time driving the same Renegade for an hour by myself and I'm happy to report no issues shifting between gears. I decided to purchase that vehicle and 150 miles later, still no issues.

Now, I can't wait to see how it performs after the break in period when I can test the limits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2016 Renegade 4x4 Sport with Manual has been in the dealer for about a week. At 45 miles in the service engine light came on. Also the service electronic parking brake light came on. Took it in the next day and after a day or two called to say they are changing the computer but have no idea when it will come in. Also didn't say which computer or module they will be changing. Something that affects the clutch position sensor I believe.

Can't wait to get it back and start modding. Coming from a BMW M3 is night and day but I couldn't have asked for a better little vehicle. Shifts good. Power below 4000rpm seems good. I haven't had the proper break in to really run it or try the off-road capabilities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an update. Got the Renegade back from the dealership. They had it for about two weeks waiting for the PCM to show up. This cleared all the ****s and made a noticeable improvement on some power. They also changed out the clutch position sensor and gear position switch. Feels smooth now but it could be that I've only had it back for about a day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.