Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm a first-time car buyer, and I want to get a car that is both practical and cute, so of course I love the Renegade - but I'm very worried about all the transmission problems people are reporting! I've looked on carcomplaints.com, edmunds.com, and caranddriver.com, and it seems like everyone is talking about issues with the automatic transmission, so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the manual transmission...

Also, I'll probably be buying a FWD, not AWD, if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Short but sweet answer. No Problems.
I find the gears 'normal' by which I mean the feel matches every other car I've driven which is good.
In my dads Aurus you could drive 200 miles around ireland and never get to 6th but on the Rene you'll be in 6th within a mile.
No idea which is better or worse.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I have the 6 speed manual UK model and there have been no issues with mine. Perfect and totally happy with it.

And I have a Tonka sticker on the tailgate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Manual is the only transmission to get on these trucks. It is light years better than that P.O.S. 9 spd auto. Also you get a turbo here in the US w/ the manual so that is a win as well.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Gotta reply. Great way to go. I often forget I'm shifting. Shifter is relatively short-throw, gear ratio is pretty-well engineered. Transaxle should have no problems. Servicing is easy. And no worries of the 4WD.

I drove 7 hours away specifically to get a manual with my other options.

I like my decision more and more each day.

·
Registered
153 Posts
4 months owned and 9,000 miles done - gearbox is sweet as a nut - even my wife who has just had shoulder surgery says the gears are light and neat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

Thank you all so much for the feedback! You've all been very helpful, and I feel pretty certain now that I'm going to get the Jeep!

And haha, I'll *try* to refrain from calling it cute :) Tonka to the max!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice gearbox and great clutch. Engagement is hard to detect when letting off in 1st.. I've shifted for decades and I bog the Renegade when starting out a surprising amount of times. HOWEVER for some reason It LOVES to be launched :) really... The power delivery is not so smooth, but there is power there. Kind of like an on/off switch at times in the lower gears, because of there is some minor turbo lag and a complete lack of low end grunt when the boost isn't ready yet. However I really like the Renegade 1.4L 6MT. It just takes a big of getting used to. Its not like many rides out there. Definitely unique. Definitely fun.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The manual transmission has been great for my wife and I. We both love shifting and our other truck is a Toyota FJ Cruiser Manual. Compared to the Toyota, the shifter is quick and smooth. Stalled it a few times in first gear when we first got it, only because it's so quiet and smooth that it's hard to tell when the clutch is engaging. No problems at all and plenty of extra power going up hills with the turbo, even with 3 or 4 passengers!

One of the main reasons we bought a Renegade is that it's so hard to find a manual transmission paired with 4WD, and adding decent fuel efficiency made it perfect for us. Also, our Renegade has more rear seat leg room than the FJ! My oldest son is 6'4" and I'm 6'3" so this mattered a lot too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.