Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha -

Any thoughts on "Manual vs. Automatic" for Trailhawk? I'd like to hear your opinions.

All my life I've driven manual "cars", but I never owned an off-road vehicle. This will be my first time driving off-road (on Maui), but nothing too crazy just light off-road dirt paths, some rocks, small hills. Bumper-to-bumper traffic isn't much of a concern here, I'm currently driving a manual and I don't mind at all since there isn't much traffic.

Mahalo!

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm a manual transmission guy too and my Dodge is manual as was the Dodge I traded. I really wanted a Lattitude with the 1.4T & manual trans. But there haven't been any (or very few) cars with manual transmission in the U.S.A. thus far. That and the fact I wasn't impressed with the 1.4T engine with the manual I drove in the Fiat 500L albeit with a higher final drive ratio.

You can get a manual in the Sport & Lattitude with the 1.4T engine when they eventually arrive. The Limited & Trailhawk come only with the 2.4 engine and 9-speed auto.

But when I saw the first Trailhawk show up at my local dealer and it was optioned the way I wanted, I bought it. Automatic and all. I really like the look of the Trailhawk over the Lattitude so I compromised with the auto.

But the Sport or Lattitude 4X4 (with manual & 1.4Turbo) should be fine for the driving you want to do.

· Registered
146 Posts
I'm waiting on the manual trans and have driven a Fiat 500L with a 1.4T.
It accelerated just fine IMHO. So the lighter Renegade with a higher axle ratio will be great for me.

The manual trans Renegades are supposed to be coming in soon.
Unless you have a pressing need to get another vehicle right away, I'd wait.

· Registered
48 Posts
^ That's right, it's not. But there are 3 other models of the Renegade, 2 of which come with MT; the Sport model and the Lattitude (North in Canada).

If you want to do hard core off roading then you want the TH = no MT.

Anything else you? You can go with the Sport or Lattitude.

· Registered
4 Posts
Aloha -

Any thoughts on "Manual vs. Automatic" for Trailhawk? I'd like to hear your opinions.

All my life I've driven manual "cars", but I never owned an off-road vehicle. This will be my first time driving off-road (on Maui), but nothing too crazy just light off-road dirt paths, some rocks, small hills. , I'm currently driving a manual and I don't mind at all since there isn't much traffic.

Mahalo!
Nothing too crazy in Maui? It's been a while since I've there but when I was there those small hills were two large volcanoes, one of which I never did make it to the top of the north one, but I spent about four hours trying. I just kept seeing that trail on the north cone going up and up and up, I had to try it and we went up and up and up in a Geo Tracker. It did pretty good but there were times coming back down when you'd feel a little weightlessness of doing a front endo off some of those small rocks

A n since Bumper-to-bumper traffic isn't much of a concern there, do the coolest thing and do the Hana Highway, the twistyist road in America. We went there in the midafternoon and got to play at the black sand beaches alone about two hours before dark set in and it gets dark, dark. The map said, yeah map. I'm tellin' ya, those small hills were once huge volcanoes back then. It said, well really it didn't say anything it showed us that we could go back around 3/4 of the island through all those turns or that you could continue through the other 1/4 of the way around the island. It was noted that 4wd high clearance vehicles still weren't really recommended. Hmmm, she said "the fastest way" and it was dark by then, so to keep it safe, we decided to go back the way we came but she did say the fastest way, so I shut the headlights off, had the parking lights on and punched it. The wife's like ahhh! what are you doing? I said, you said the fastest way and I started using the whole road and shoulders where I could. I was flying through what was about 10mph going because of the traffic. Now you could see the traffic's headlights long before you met the other car, then back to as fast as I could. It reminded me of the autobahn, if I wasn't driving as fast as I could, I was trying too. And when I finally quit looking behind me for cops, I could get moving (215kph /134mph) in a red Audi 80. But anyway, I don't know if the other way was faster but it could not have been more funner than the Hi Speed Hana Highway Hairpin Ralley.

Shoohooit, I just deleted the drive up the south one, the one they bus you up in the morning and you coast 7 miles down on bicycles. We decided to not do that after we went up in the afternoon and it was sooo cold up there, nahh not tomorrow

So, you wanna know which to get "Manual or Automatic" no doubt get a Manual or your not having fun

· Registered
4 Posts
Somewhat sad to say that I am desperately anxious to put my 2017 Renegade Shport toward a fellow F/C car, that very closely resembles what would have been a friends sister's 67 Firebird, 326, auto for $300. I told my dad and he decided to give me his 71 Subaru ff1. I drove that until it rusted into nothing. Then he sold me his '73. Since the '67's are hard to find now a days and so is a 2010 with 50k, 5.7, auto, red on black leather with shaker hood but it so resembles that '67, plates will say [2nd 1st]. I was sitting there until they said it'd be (10-15) days and the kbb buy it dealer says "nope can't do it without a title" and Az doesn't give out paper titles so I gots to wait it out, out of state.

And if anyone wants to do better that $13,800 kbb guaranteed price on a 2017 Sport,dark blu with black trim,1.4l, 6 speed, 35,000 miles, excellent condition, Hit me up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts