Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there Renegades!

Bruce, my 2017 Renegade Trailhawk received an OTA UConnect message during the summer. I'd never seen one of these before but certainly Bruce had been getting a lot of erroneous alerts since his adoption: "all the taillights are out" (they aren't), "daytime running lights are out" (they aren't), "here, learn some metric system" shift from F to C (I'm in the US), and even a total switch over to Italian. (Must be a factor reset issue because my only language options are English, French, and Spanish. Or maybe Bruce is just homesick? Who can blame him.)

Lot of dealership "codes pulled, update installed" tasks that never seem to do anything. Ever. Sometimes I just pull over, turn the car off, and restart it. Vehicular reboot.

Anyway, with the random OTA upgrade came a total failure of my GPS system. Suddenly Bruce had no idea where I was. I'll be on the freeway in Los Angeles and he's show us being in a canyon, in Griffith Park, or in the Pacific Ocean. This wouldn't be such a big problem if the crazy UConnect actually had CarPlay capabilities, but it doesn't.

Took the car into the Alhambra dealership (SoCal) for this and an oil change and neither was resolved. I'll skip the saga of the oil change and just say I got the usual "Update installed, all working" comment for the GPS.
It wasn't.
Took the car back in. Same terrible communication from this place (are all the CDJR dealers just terrible? Or just those in my area?) and hours of me waiting around to be told they'd have to order a new radio and couldn't tell me when it would be in. I asked if this would fix my issues. They didn't know. I should call FCA. Why? The car is under warranty...

Weeks later a new radio was finally installed yesterday. The dealership says they can't tell me if this will fix all the random alerts I've had for years and that they've had "a lot" of CDJR vehicles coming in for the same issue that took out my GPS so their confidence isn't high.

This is my second Jeep (first was a Liberty I had for 13 years) and I love the car overall. But I can't deal with the utter incompetence and lack of communication and interest from the local dealerships. This will be my last CDJF vehicle. :(

Questions:
1) Anybody else have weird random alerts every few weeks? Did you solve them?
2) How about an OTA upgrade that took out your GPS? Did you solve this?
3) And, finally, have you found the right department at FCA to talk with who will take you seriously? Number please.

Thanks so much for the valuable information in this forum! I've referred to it a lot of the last year.

DC

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello out there Renegades!

Bruce, my 2017 Renegade Trailhawk received an OTA UConnect message during the summer. I'd never seen one of these before but certainly Bruce had been getting a lot of erroneous alerts since his adoption: "all the taillights are out" (they aren't), "daytime running lights are out" (they aren't), "here, learn some metric system" shift from F to C (I'm in the US), and even a total switch over to Italian. (Must be a factor reset issue because my only language options are English, French, and Spanish. Or maybe Bruce is just homesick? Who can blame him.)

Lot of dealership "codes pulled, update installed" tasks that never seem to do anything. Ever. Sometimes I just pull over, turn the car off, and restart it. Vehicular reboot.

Anyway, with the random OTA upgrade came a total failure of my GPS system. Suddenly Bruce had no idea where I was. I'll be on the freeway in Los Angeles and he's show us being in a canyon, in Griffith Park, or in the Pacific Ocean. This wouldn't be such a big problem if the crazy UConnect actually had CarPlay capabilities, but it doesn't.

Took the car into the Alhambra dealership (SoCal) for this and an oil change and neither was resolved. I'll skip the saga of the oil change and just say I got the usual "Update installed, all working" comment for the GPS.
It wasn't.
Took the car back in. Same terrible communication from this place (are all the CDJR dealers just terrible? Or just those in my area?) and hours of me waiting around to be told they'd have to order a new radio and couldn't tell me when it would be in. I asked if this would fix my issues. They didn't know. I should call FCA. Why? The car is under warranty...

Weeks later a new radio was finally installed yesterday. The dealership says they can't tell me if this will fix all the random alerts I've had for years and that they've had "a lot" of CDJR vehicles coming in for the same issue that took out my GPS so their confidence isn't high.

This is my second Jeep (first was a Liberty I had for 13 years) and I love the car overall. But I can't deal with the utter incompetence and lack of communication and interest from the local dealerships. This will be my last CDJF vehicle. :(

Questions:
1) Anybody else have weird random alerts every few weeks? Did you solve them?
2) How about an OTA upgrade that took out your GPS? Did you solve this?
3) And, finally, have you found the right department at FCA to talk with who will take you seriously? Number please.

Thanks so much for the valuable information in this forum! I've referred to it a lot of the last year.

DC
Who’s Bruce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Annnnnd after all this the GPS still doesn't work most of the time. :( Seems like it's not registering any info. from the satellites including my location or the time.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
OTA is the Over The Air (OTA) uconnect software update. But is sounds like you understand that.

There is a software update. You can check it for your self to see if you are running the most current update available.
This is a big update that should cure you GPS and random alerts.

Click here and enter your full VIN, and it will tell you if your software is up-to-date.

The latest version available: Update 1: UCONNECT_RA4_18.50.35_BU_MY15-17. By it reading Update 1, it sounds like there are more updates to follow.

If it isn't up-to-date, you can download the update, extract it, put it on a "Kingston" flash drive (something between 4 and 32 GB) and perform the update your self (hopefully).
uconnect does have pretty good tech support. They have answered every time I called, and have given me something new to try EVERY TIME, even though, I still don't have my stereo updated...

If this doesn't work, contact @JeepCares via PM. They have been real helpful with our Renegade (Bruce) issues. :)

I am going to try and update my stereo one more time. If it doesn't work, I will be getting in touch with JeepCares also.

I think one of the biggest problems is Uconnect is a separate entity. FCA, CDJR and Uconnect don't communicate well with each other. And we, the consumer suffer for it.

I hope you get your problem resolved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OTA is the Over The Air (OTA) uconnect software update. But is sounds like you understand that.

There is a software update. You can check it for your self to see if you are running the most current update available.
This is a big update that should cure you GPS and random alerts.

Click here and enter your full VIN, and it will tell you if your software is up-to-date.

The latest version available: Update 1: UCONNECT_RA4_18.50.35_BU_MY15-17. By it reading Update 1, it sounds like there are more updates to follow.

If it isn't up-to-date, you can download the update, extract it, put it on a "Kingston" flash drive (something between 4 and 32 GB) and perform the update your self (hopefully).
uconnect does have pretty good tech support. They have answered every time I called, and have given me something new to try EVERY TIME, even though, I still don't have my stereo updated...

If this doesn't work, contact @JeepCares via PM. They have been real helpful with our Renegade (Bruce) issues. :)

I am going to try and update my stereo one more time. If it doesn't work, I will be getting in touch with JeepCares also.

I think one of the biggest problems is Uconnect is a separate entity. FCA, CDJR and Uconnect don't communicate well with each other. And we, the consumer suffer for it.

I hope you get your problem resolved.
You're so awesome to reply, thank you! And I'm adding @JeepCares to my contacts right now. :)

So here's what I found out that this week that finally got my GPS working again. Yippee, pinpoint accurate GPS!!

First, depending on the current version of your software, you may need to do two updates. I couldn't get the first one from the UConnect site because they just gave me the version I needed to end up on.
My Jeep dealer had given me a new radio/headend the week before with a software version much older than what I'd had when I'd first bought the car. Yikes. So two updates needed. FILE NOT SUPPORTED was the error I kept getting when attempting to do this on my own.

Second, it turns out 18.01.35 will solve the GPS issue on a 2017 Renegade. I was offered 18.50.35 online, but I've still not gotten that to update because of FILE NOT SUPPORTED issues. How did I find out about 18.01.35? Well ... there is a bulletin on the GPS issue that was sent to the dealers. THUNK, FAINT! I'd been there THREE times for this problem and they did everything except read the bulletin. Double YIKES.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience one or more of the following:
On November 3rd, 2019, all vehicles GPS functionalities (i.e. location, turn-by-turn, date and time) will be inaccurate.

• Certain connected service applications will lose functionality that depend on accurate GPS. There will be no error message displayed to the customer.
  • Vehicle location on GPS navigation screen will no longer follow the streets on the map.
  • Connected services that utilize GPS time will no longer function.
Exactly what I'd describes to them. &^%$#@! LOL. Had I had access to this, or had my dealer referred to this upon me coming in, I would've had to visit only once.

So, I'm attaching it here in case any of you can save yourselves the time and headache my car and I have had.

Happy Navigating, happy Jeeping!

DC

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Does anyone have the 18.01.35 version available for download? Thanks.
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

You will want to go with the latest version available. I would check the DriveUconnect website for the latest version. Enter you VIN, if there is update available, you will be able to download the available software from there.
IF you current version is older then 17.43.01, you will need to go through the dealer for a two-step update.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It's now too hot outside but as my signature says. I like it hot and wet, :p

While I remember I will take a picture of my VIN after this beer ;)

Ok, so the first part was easy. The download was only 1min 20 seconds but I cannot progress to part 2 until I find my Sons memory stick that will hold 4gb. I had a look at one of my older ones and it has shown it's age. 128Mb :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have an update and wasn't going to allow a thunder and lightning storm to stop me from trying to install it.

Having followed all the instructions to the letter I was very surprised when this message flashed up:

Update 1.JPG

Yay!!! I am up to date.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts