Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Map light covers...

21K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Jamie Smith 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has replaced the dome lights and map lights with LED lights? And how did you get the map light covers off? I don't want to break them

#4 ·
If operated while driving, and visible from outside the vehicle, it can be trouble. Most states have regs requiring visible front lighting to be dot/nhtsa white or Amber. Anything else could get you towed in a stop. Some states have harsh penalties for red lights up front on non-emergency vehicles.

#8 ·
In the owners manual, it has you pull the entire housing off. The clear lens can't be removed from the side visible to you without screwing up things pretty good (I somewhat learned this the hard way). Its pretty hard to pry and pull the thing off too. Really doesn't make sense why they did it that way.

#11 ·
Ugh - OK - I replaced my map lights with LEDs - really tough. I broke a plastic tab or two. I could not find a way to take down the entire unit - I was afraid of pulling down the headliner - the next plastic item in would not come down easily either. Has anyone taken the map light/upper console apart without breaking anything PLEASE post some instructions or tips if you have done this or figured out how it comes apart and goes back together without breaking anything!

Also, now that I have LEDs in the map lights - they are always ON - very dim... but always on - same for the rear seat dome light - it is always on very dim... anyone else notice this with LED lights?

Thanks for any info,
Pat.

#22 ·
Also, now that I have LEDs in the map lights - they are always ON - very dim... but always on - same for the rear seat dome light - it is always on very dim... anyone else notice this with LED lights?

Thanks for any info,
Pat.
Pat, the reason your LED's stay dimly lit is because they're not Can-bus compatible. Can-bus LED's have a resistor built into them to mimic a standard bulb that lights up with a filament. The filament creates resistance, it's this resistance that tells the can-bus system that there's a light bulb in the socket. Non can-bus LED's don't have any resistance. The can-bus system uses a tiny bit of voltage to "Sense" the presence of a bulb, but because a non can-bus LED is there, that tiny bit of voltage lights up the LED a little.

#12 ·
Hi Pat,
I did all the lights some time ago (have a look into my garage) but didn't take pics along the way .... anyhow, the dome/map light assembly comes down pretty easily when pulling on the rear corners down - use a pry tool first so you get a little gap that allows you to grab in with the fingers .... disconnect the plugs and take the whole assembly to your work desk - vieing it upside down the lamps are housed under the black plastic cover (as you already know) - to take that of securely take a flathead srewdriver and gently disengage where you see the little noses. Also have a look at the appendix of the user manual - that for some reason is only available online (I do have the german version only, so doesn't make sense to post that here).

Regarding the "rest light" you see, there is a problem with your leds that obviously have not the correct resistor built in (I bought mine here www.hypercolor.de ). They should then be off completely after 20-30min, when the "remainig current" has dropped to Zero. So check that. Otherwise I'd go for other leds.

As for the vanity mirror lights - as this has been asked in this thread as well - here also the whole assembly has to be taken out - pry from the right hand side - hold the gap with your finger and then pry gently around the bottom corner all the way to the left side and the mirror will come out - flip it and take off the inner plastic (again with a srewdriver) - see the pic for what it looks like. Now you can take out the bulb ...... hope this helps a Little.

Attachments

#13 ·
Regarding preserving night vision - Green or blue-green lights are used as much or more than red. One problem with using intense red light is that everything printed on the map in red disappears. Another trick if you have to turn on a white light or are facing bright headlights is to close one eye.

I fly a 1946 Champ that lacks interior lighting. I bought a little battery powered unit containing 4 green LEDS that clips onto the brim of my baseball hat. It turns on and off by the push of a button and works good since it points the light wherever I'm looking.

Tim

#14 · (Edited)
What bulb is the vanity mirror light? The one I have I can access from behind the clear lens. It is a tiny wedge filament bulb much smaller than the typical 194 but larger than instrument cluster bulbs.

A tip
for dome light switchover is to wear latex gloves or wash your hands very well otherwise you will stain your headliner. You pull down from rear and the two sides and it will unsnap from the mount tabs.

Also how the heck do you replace or rather re insert the glove box bulb? Holy cow they must have built that unit around the bulb!

I wonder why when they make bulb housings they don't put a reflective backing behind the bulb like a reflector, simple silver paint would help tremendously. I painted my Suzuki samurai rear light clusters behind the bulbs and it really brightens them up.

#16 ·
Easy glove box bulb change

You can get bulb out without complete taking box out by pulling out bulb. Imposable to get back in. I removed the bulb holder socket carefully pry the black plastic and it comes out for easy bulb replacement and pop it back in.

#17 ·
thanks for that awesome tip!
yeah i reached in there felt the tabs on either side and pried it away.
much easier.

any thoughts as to what the vanity mirror bulbs are? they are tiny, just wondered if anyone swapped them out with leds for the heck of it. i probably wont bother as i dont use those mirrors.

#19 ·
Just swapped out the dome/map lights with led bulbs. Thought I'd share how I did it. First I popped out the clips facing the rear of the car. Then the two in the middle. Everything else should be self explanatory with the following photos. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#20 ·
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#26 · (Edited)
I did the rear handles this week.

If you prise off both handle covers and then tug on those
covers (they stay attached and are part of the mechanism that secures the handles) the whole handle assembly comes out.

Then you can remove the light assembly and the lens
is then a piece of cake to remove.

Refit in reverse order and then push the covers back in to
secure.

Couldn't disengage the front courtesy/map cluster today though.
Was afraid of cracking it so have left it for another day.

#28 ·
Can't pry off the courtesy/map dome lights cover...

Were you ever able to take out the front courtesy/map cluster? I've tried inserting credit cards to pry off the two connectors facing driver on the rear side, and the ones on the side; however, I can't get the cover to pop out. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.