Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up our 2016 TH and getting it setup. We got the 6.4 with the Beats audio. I expected the radio to run me out of the vehicle, but the sound system seems weak compared.
I noticed that the max volume was 38 so I figured there was a setting somewhere limiting the audio, but I cannot find anything.
Also while playing with it, the balance and fade screens quit working.
Anyone else experience this?
Not a good introduction to the Jeep brand.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have no issues with the volume and quality of my radii. 38 i the max across the FCA brands though. Also I haven't had issues with the settings screens. Might be a software issue. Let service reset it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
38? Wow, that seems really loud to me. I usually run mine around 12 to 16 at the most. I have the 2015 9-speaker system and the 5.0 head unit.

Reactions: Gecko7

·
Registered
70 Posts
38? Wow, that seems really loud to me. I usually run mine around 12 to 16 at the most. I have the 2015 9-speaker system and the 5.0 head unit.
I have the same system and even certain songs on my iPod that are quieter I only turn it up to 20 before it is insanely loud.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm getting the Beats audio system - to be honest, I'm not sure of the difference between that and the standard audio - what's the quality like?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I'm getting the Beats audio system - to be honest, I'm not sure of the difference between that and the standard audio - what's the quality like?

As far as the components, it appears to be exactly the same speakers as the 9 speaker upgrade.

The dash mounted 3.5" speakers are trash. Like extremely bad and should be replaced first thing (replacing them is pretty easy). They are shrill, like an icepick to the ear when you turn them up, and replacing them is a huge bang for the buck sound wise.

The doors are reasonably constructed 6x9" speakers, although they are single driver units (no tweeter, not even a whizzer cone). They are 2ohm speakers and are heavy on the mid-bass and anemic pretty much everywhere else. You can put other speakers in, but even the aftermarket "2 ohm" offerings will be quieter because they aren't truly 2 ohms, but something between 2.5 and 3.5 ohms.

The rear tweeters are just some odd white tweeter things they dug up someplace. They reproduce a remarkably wide range for their construction.

The sub is a 6.5" dual voice coil of unknown impedance (at least I haven't run into anyone's notes on pulling one, and have yet to dig into that part of it on my own). It actually produces more than I expected into the lows, but has a lot of bass and mid-bass overlap with the 6x9s in the doors. That causes it to be directional to a greater degree than a true sub woofer limited to low frequencies.

Then you have the amp. Which isn't remotely serious in terms of car audio, but has has tank like construction. No clipping, stable to two ohms, if the wiring diagrams are correct, possibly to 1 ohm on the rear doors. It's clean, and low on distortion IMO, and gets loud enough to cause long term hearing loss, so I'll likely stick with it long term and just replace drivers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As far as the components, it appears to be exactly the same speakers as the 9 speaker upgrade.

The dash mounted 3.5" speakers are trash. Like extremely bad and should be replaced first thing (replacing them is pretty easy). They are shrill, like an icepick to the ear when you turn them up, and replacing them is a huge bang for the buck sound wise.
Can you recommend some specific front replacement speakers? Ive also noticed they're horrible. I discovered that shifting the sound balance a click or two towards the back of the car (using the uconnect audio settings), made music sound a lot better. So what you said makes sense. Im just moving the music off the front speakers a bit and allowing the rest of the speakers to shine a little more.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for that comprehensive response - I couldn't tell from the brochures whether there was a proper sub-woofer or not - it just says 9-speaker - which doesn't give a lot away - and I've not seen any decent output figures.

I must admit I tend to move the fader backwards a bit in cars to help the sound quality as well

I guess "Beats Audio" is basically just a brand name (and I have just noticed is also touted as being installed in Mrs O's laptop) - and doesn't imply any particular musical genius was used in its construction...?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Beats audio USA brand. They primarily sell branding logos and eq curves. The headphones they sell are basically point at options in the Chinese maker's catalogue and call it a product. Their main headphones are just bassy, have a logo, and have some metal weights in them for a 'premium' feel. You can get basically the exact same thing minus the logo and weights for about $65 rather than $199.

As for the best 3.5" in the dash? Pretty much everything name brand is a huge improvement. There are 3.5" kickers crutchfield had on sale with the adapters for $30. The adapters are ~$15 for a pair of them on Amazon, and if anything is doa crutchfield will take care of you.

But Sony, pioneer, Polk, jbl, infinity, etc. they are 4ohm speakers, and I'd recommend sticking with 4ohm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have to agree with ReneTH, i just picked up a 2016 TH with the 6.5 Beats and the volume seems weak. it doesnt get very loud. Granted I only have the vehicle for two days and I never really played the radio much. I try and play over the weekend and I will send a post back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can someone point out where all the 9 speakers are located? And where's the amp?

Also I noticed when I set the fader to rear only I can barely hear anything. Maybe it's the low door location?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Can someone point out where all the 9 speakers are located? And where's the amp?

Also I noticed when I set the fader to rear only I can barely hear anything. Maybe it's the low door location?

2x3.5" by the a pillars on the dash.

4x6by9 in each door behind the obvious grills.

2xtweeters in the rear doors near the drive and passenger seats in teeny add on pods with grills.

1x6.5" sub in the Cato area on passenger side behind grill.

The amp is behind the grill on the driver side.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
Just picked up our 2016 TH and getting it setup. We got the 6.4 with the Beats audio. I expected the radio to run me out of the vehicle, but the sound system seems weak compared.
I noticed that the max volume was 38 so I figured there was a setting somewhere limiting the audio, but I cannot find anything.
Also while playing with it, the balance and fade screens quit working.
Anyone else experience this?
Not a good introduction to the Jeep brand.
I have the premium audio system on my 2015 Trailawk. When I want to play something really loud, it's usually at 24 or 26. Some audio sources are louder than others, too. Some of the songs on my iPod are really low, while 16-18 is good and loud for most stuff. Obviously "loud" is very subjective.

I have not had any trouble with screens quitting on me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As for the best 3.5" in the dash? Pretty much everything name brand is a huge improvement. There are 3.5" kickers crutchfield had on sale with the adapters for $30. The adapters are ~$15 for a pair of them on Amazon, and if anything is doa crutchfield will take care of you.

But Sony, pioneer, Polk, jbl, infinity, etc. they are 4ohm speakers, and I'd recommend sticking with 4ohm.
I went to Crutchfield's site and it said that the 3.5 Kickers were not compatible with my vehicle. I have the 9-speaker system. Should I call and talk to someone?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.