Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I am coming from a modded 2012 GTi, but my Fiance and I really enjoy camping etc and I have been looking into getting a more 4x4 capable car.

I hate huge cars and the renegade seems my speed, a little slower than I would like, but other than that I really like the car.

I drove the trailhawk but wasnt sure I needed all the features.

Could I do some decent offroading with a 4x4 sport? I was planning on lifting it and getting some different tires in time.

I was also curious, what are your least favorite things about the car? Any issues?

It really seems like a great little ride, I am a little concerned with the reliability issues that people have stated about jeeps, but im coming from a VW which is as bad as it gets.

Is a renegade sport as capable as the trailhawk?

·
Registered
534 Posts
hey all, I am coming from a modded 2012 GTi, but my Fiance and I really enjoy camping etc and I have been looking into getting a more 4x4 capable car.

I hate huge cars and the renegade seems my speed, a little slower than I would like, but other than that I really like the car.

Could I do some decent offroading with a 4x4 sport? I was planning on lifting it and getting some different tires in time.

I was also curious, what are your least favorite things about the car? Any issues?

It really seems like a great little ride, I am a little concerned with the reliability issues that people have stated about jeeps, but im coming from a VW which is as bad as it gets.

With money and time they it can be pretty close. However you can get a manual with the Sport and not the TH. Myself I went with the TH as it takes less to get to want I would like for off road

·
Registered
211 Posts

As far as reliability goes, you're not stepping into a brand you can't handle if you're leaving VW. As far as the things I don't like:
-it's slower than I'd like
-if its been out in the hot sun sometimes the mysky panels rattle a little.
-it could use a little more interior storage space

thats it. that the full list of my complaints. Overall, I love the car

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a '15 TH with about 8000 miles on it. If I could change a couple of things on it, they would be:
1) a larger gas tank [16 or 18 gallons would be appreciated]
2) more power/torque [the 2,5l engine is just adequate up here at 8500 ft altitude]
3) more responsive transmission [there is hesitation when downshifting. When manually controlling the gears, the computer often won't let the transmission down shift]

All in all, I like the TH. It's fun to drive of road and comfortable on the highway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dealer said that all the Renegades have wind noise so they wont "fix" it since its a known characteristic. I am going to try the phone cord or o-rings. I have had it 6 months and only have 1,300 miles on it, so I dont drive it much so it is not high on the priorities list. I dont have the wind whistle. Just the wind noise. The whistle is something the dealers will fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would not get the mySky. They are a cheap version of a sun roof. They cause cavitation at speeds over 40 without having all windows rolled down. Over all it a nice vehicle, but truthfully, I would not purchase it again. Thankfully I leased as I was unsure how much I would like it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Its a good thing you like to Lease vehicles because there are always issues with any vehicle. To be 100% happy is unlikely. I would lease too, because its nice to drive a different vehicle every few years, but its a bad financial decision.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Its a good thing you like to Lease vehicles because there are always issues with any vehicle. To be 100% happy is unlikely. I would lease too, because its nice to drive a different vehicle every few years, but its a bad financial decision.
Leasing is not a bad financial decision if you can stay within the miles and you get a lease with a decently high residual (over 55%). It's not bad because you don't own the car so you don't own the negative equity. It's a much worse idea to pay cash or finance a vehicle and trade it every 4 to 5 years, because your car depreciates and you are responsible for the depreciation. In a lease, the leasing company is responsible for the depreciation - not you. Leasing used to be real bad in the 90's but laws have changed to protect and benefit the consumer greatly since then.

I didn't lease my Renegade, I bought it, because I plan to drive it for 15 years. I will put maybe 3,000 miles per year on it and I will switch to full synthetic oil and only use 91 or 93 octane fuel. I have two other cars and I live 2 miles from work so my Renegade will have ultra low miles.

·
Registered
607 Posts

The sport/latitude/limited is not as capable as the trailhawk, but it is very capable still. If you don't need to climb boulders but still want a vehicle that can get you through the woods, or run across snow & ice - a 4x4 sport will do just fine... get the manual transmission with the 1.4L turbo!

I bought mine for camping too, I'm a newbie at camping, never been before...but for some reason after I just had my first son, I felt the urge to take him camping, on a road trip across America! LOL - so random I know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The crawl ratio and the Rock mode on the Selec-Terrain system as well as hill descent control (I think) are what you aren't going to be able to get on a non-TH Renegade even with mods. TH also comes with some skid plates and some other features that you would be able to obtain via modification. You will have more options for certain modifications (i.e. Bullbars) on non-TH models but some also require more work to install.

I got the TH. No issues thus far other than the turn signal sticking occasionally but that doesn't seem to be a common problem.

If you're planning on a lot of camping use, keep in mind that the storage space is somewhat limited on this vehicle. For two people its easily doable as you can fold the seats down but with 4, even with a roof rack, it might be tricky. I often see people complaining about certain things not fitting, so definitely check the available storage space and dimensions and make sure you can store anything important to you that you need to haul regularly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.