Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search to see if this had been discussed before but couldn't find anything....

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone with Android version 5.0.1. When I have Bluetooth on and select Bluetooth as my source in the Media section of the 5.0 audio system, it finds my phone and will run the audio through the system speakers (music, GPS commands, etc.). However, when I plug the phone into the USB port and select USB as my source for Media, I get an error on the 5.0 screen that says "USB Device Not Supported." Anyone else experience this or have any ideas how to resolve? Do I perhaps need an audio update?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming that a usb thumbdrive with media on it is much different than a phone with media on it. File formats are different and in different locations. Maybe it's just not able to play them that way? I don't have a renegade (yet?) but I was planning to use my phone the same way you describe rather than through Bluetooth, but sounds like Bluetooth is the only way to use the phone's media? The other thing I was looking forward to though was to load up a thumbdrive with even more songs so I can slap it in and play music. Most of the time I just use Pandora on the phone though and/or play music I have on the phone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your phone USB setting would likely need to set to "Media Transfer Protocol" or MTP. If it defaults to "Picture transfer Protocol" or PTP the Uconnect may not be able to find or play your music. I think Uconnect does support the Galaxy S4, but I would double check, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your phone USB setting would likely need to set to "Media Transfer Protocol" or MTP. If it defaults to "Picture transfer Protocol" or PTP the Uconnect may not be able to find or play your music. I think Uconnect does support the Galaxy S4, but I would double check, as mentioned above.

Thank you. it's set to MTP (and was at the time).

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I haven't tried, but do others with android have issues? Does it actually interact with the os like on iOS, or is it playing back like it was a USB drive and this may be effected by how that particular device presents the root path?

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I haven't tried, but do others with android have issues? Does it actually interact with the os like on iOS, or is it playing back like it was a USB drive and this may be effected by how that particular device presents the root path?

Just some ideas.
My son's Samsung S5 and my Nexus 5 all work for media playback (and phone operations, including Skype) on Bluetooth and USB. The Samsung is Android 5.0.1, I think, and my Nexus is Android 6.0. There have been no issues so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Renegade Sport and have Samsung Galaxy S7 and having the same issue as the OP. just gives me an error message saying "USB Device Not Supported" or it says "USB Device Not Found". anyone figured anything out about this problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.