Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going guys. Got a 1.4L Manual which I love.

I noticed the other day for a second time when accelerating in 5th/6th that there was a slight shudder/stutter with the engine. Not sure if its an issue or just something that occurs every now and then.

Has anyone else noticed this at all?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Where are you in the world? I ask as different markets have different specs.

I have the UK 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual and no issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, finally i'm not the only one.
When chifting, my experience is a '' clunky'' noise coming from the drivetrain.
The first, second and third gear are the worst, never experienced it in other cars. ( i drove always VW and for my work a vw caddy diesel )

Difficult for a dutchman to explain.......but when chifted it looks like the engine stutter and I '' hear'' the gearbox or levers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, finally i'm not the only one.
When chifting, my experience is a '' clunky'' noise coming from the drivetrain.
The first, second and third gear are the worst, never experienced it in other cars. ( i drove always VW and for my work a vw caddy diesel )

Difficult for a dutchman to explain.......but when chifted it looks like the engine stutter and I '' hear'' the gearbox or levers.
On a quiet street with the window down, I can hear the gears engaging as well. Have not had any issues, no stutter or lag...

·
Registered
607 Posts
No issues here. Just kinda laggy due to the electronic throttle but thats about it. There's the occasional slight shudder but it is silent and only because I'm flooring it in 2nd gear through the high rpm ranges. My other car will do that also, if driven that way - so mine does not worry me at all. My transmission makes normal transmission noises. I can hear my transmission, but that is normal and it is quieter than some other manual transmissions that I have driven.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had the exact same problem, and discovered that it was simply user error. I used to drive a manual trans on a larger SUV that had a lot of low end power but found that on the 1.4 the smoothest shifting range is in the 4k range, so I forced myself to relearn on the Renny. I also installed the DV+, which made a slight difference but I still believe it's user error. It's simply a motor that likes high RPM.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Had the exact same problem, and discovered that it was simply user error. I used to drive a manual trans on a larger SUV that had a lot of low end power but found that on the 1.4 the smoothest shifting range is in the 4k range, so I forced myself to relearn on the Renny. I also installed the DV+, which made a slight difference but I still believe it's user error. It's simply a motor that likes high RPM.
Normally i dont like it to drive into the higher rpm. But I give it a try......keep you posted....
Exactly, if you shift this engine too early it will shudder, depending on how hard you hit the throttle and at what RPM you are at could cause it to shudder. Get the RPM up higher before shifting and it will drive smoother.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can't change the trans oil, it's not even a maintenance item. Just keep practicing your shifting. Hit 3500-4000, clutch, let the RPMs relax a bit, shift with your pinky, gently reengage. Use RPMs for power, don't slam the gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is so not my VW GTI, or even my Fiat 500 (2), but I'm getting used to it. I think the the entire Renny is amazing except the drivetrain, and I think the 1.4 M6 is the better of the 2. This motor reminds me of my 4Cyl rides from the '70's...no low end and revving all day long. What kills this set up IMHO is the really poorly designed/engineered electronic throttle. Its very unresponsive and the spring is crazy tight so you literally have to stand on it. So unrefined and clunky. One of the reasons I got the Renny was I had very positive experiences with 2 Fiat 500's. Also I knew this was the Abarth motor- But this 1.4 turbo is not nearly as easy to drive, or just not well tuned. The drive trains on the 500's were so much smoother.. less high end Boosted grunt, but just set up better. I might try the go pedal.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Two vehicles. Both have same engine, gearbox and horse power. One is a five door hatchback, other is a smaller three door hatchback. Both went head to head. Guy with the five door hatchback couldn't understand why one was faster at accelerating and handled better than the other. Once I explained about the extra weight he got the idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I experience the same thing, i.e. I hear and feel a slight clunky noise in the drive train when changing gears, especially at 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, when I have the windows down and no music playing.
No any other problems though, i.e. no loss of power.

I plan, when the time comes, to change the transmission oil with something better in viscosity, and I believe that this noise will go away.

My hypothesis is -at least for my Reni- that the car had been sitting idle in the lot for some time before I took delivery of it, and maybe the quality of the transmission oil deteriorated (became more thin).

If/when I make any changes I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I see this is an older post, but I'm going to throw my two cents in. Hopefully I'm referencing similar to what you've experienced. I won't have my Renegade for a few more weeks, so I can't speak to the vehicle itself.

I have a 2013 Scion FR-S (GT86), and it's been doing that since I bought it new. It really sounds like a solid thump when you go from neutral to 1st at a light, and from 1st to 2nd at random times. When it first started, the answer everyone had was to change the transmission fluid. Since the car is easy to work on, and it was inexpensive to do so, I did put in Motul transmission fluid, and although it maybe got a little better (*cough* placebo *cough*), it's been doing it for the 30,000 miles I've owned it.

Toyota released a TSB on this, stating there wasn't a problem, and based on the limited number of issues I've seen with these vehicles (zero for me), I think it's accurate. Basically, the thump you hear is the clutch friction disc coming to a sudden stop when you shift into first gear. If you shift into neutral when coming to a stop but before fully stopping, the friction disc will continue to spin for a few seconds before coming to a complete stop. If you shift into first while the friction disc is still spinning you get the thump of the disc coming to a stop whereas if you wait until you come to a complete stop before shifting into neutral you will not get the thump. You will also get the thump if you're sitting in neutral at a stoplight with your foot off the clutch, then when the light turns green you quickly put your foot on the clutch and shift to first, you will get a thump for the same reasons as I said before.

Again, not sure if this is the exact issue you're all describing, but I just wanted to add the comment since I had been browsing the forums before making my final decision between a 75th Edition and a Trailhawk. Since I hate driving automatics, I'm going that route, and hopefully the issue is similar to what I experience in my Toyota since it appears to be a non-issue in terms of mechanical function.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've experienced the throttle or acceleration "stutter" on certain occasions. Usually when the vehicle is cold and I'm pushing it a little from a morning traffic green light. It tends to go away after a complete warm up. But the only way I've completely gotten rid of it, engine cold or warm is by completely turning of the TC and ESC. Acceleration is smoother so the stutter seems to be gone, and shifts are a little easier although that could be from the throttle manipulation on either my part in a conscious effort or the fact that the complete ESC Off has an effect.

Hope that helps and someone else might be able to verify my finding about the ESC Off/Stutter input.

FYI, I only experience the stutter in 2nd gear and usually when I shift from 1st at around 3800-4k rpm. and continue with the slight aggressive acceleration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.