Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks I just went on to the Jeep site and looked up every single Renegade on lots or in transit. I filtered by price, going from low to high. I then had the system show 50 units per page. Try it and you will see that there may be 40 to 60 units each with the same price. So I clicked on one from each price group.

Not to anyone's surprise I did not see any out there with a 1.4 engine, none with a trailer hitch and none with a tonneau cover.

For those of you thinking of getting an aftermarket sunroof put in I should caution you to be certain that what ever installer you go to has lots of experience dealing with a ribbed roof. Those ribs may be a problem.

For those wanting My Sky I can't help but wonder how well they will do with keeping water out at a car wash or in heavy rain conditions.

For those wanting a glass roof call or email Jeep to tell them you much prefer a glass roof and that you will not buy a Renegade without a glass roof. Am willing to bet money that the glass roof version will keep water out while the My Sky version may not.

For the the 3,000 Renegades on dealers lots or in transit without trailer hitches I just wonder when Jeep will offer a Mopar hitch to be put on after the purchase. Many have already bought Renegades that of course don't have hitches. Has anyone already asked your dealers parts department if they have a hitch that they can now put on your Renegades? Love to know what they said about this.

And to get a Mopar hitch after the purchase I can't help but wonder if it would be mounted under the car, thus decreasing departure angle or would they be able to cut away the center section of the rear bumper and install it in the exact same area as the factory hitches and have a nice trim piece to install. If you have asked your dealers parts department and if they know the answer to the question the please let everyone here know what they say.

For those who have already bought a Renegade I would love to know if the sun visors extend out when pulled over to the drivers or passengers windows. If they do extend out then do they extend out far enough to cover the sun from the side? The Fiat 500 visor does not extend out at all and covers almost zero side sun. The Fiat 500L visor does extend out. Since these cars and the Renegade are made by the same company I can't help but wonder if the Renegades visors extend out at at or not. Let everyone know please.

Ok folks I gotta sign off now. A dealer just called me. They just got their first Renegade in. They are about 80 miles away. So I go check this one out. Fun fun. Cheers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm being patient. They'll get here with the options. Good question about the hitch though, I'm a fan of the integrated hitch into the rear bumper. I imagine when the Brazil plant opens up those buggers will start getting here in droves.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A hitch was the only thing I really wished my TH had. I'd like to add one eventually, but I was scoping out how difficult that would be to do myself down the road and, I have to say, there is quite a crowded underbody.

Certainly not as easy as adding it to my old liberty and definitely not just bolting into the bottom and having it ride below the bumper...

I'm hoping dealers have a reasonable cost in terms of getting that done.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok I just got back and have some interesting things to report. First off the visors are well made, job very well done. Not only do they extend out for side sun protection but they also have an internal cover that pulls out to give even more coverage protection.

I live in Charleston,SC and the dealer I went to see is in Hardeville,SC just before Hilton Head. And on my way there I saw a truckload of Renegades headed the other direction, headed towards Charleston. I got a glimpse of an orange one on that truck. So on the way home I stopped by one of the dealers in Charleston to see if that truck had dropped off any of those Renegades. And I hit pay dirt. That truck had dropped off the orange one as well as an anvil Trailhawk. I really did not like the orange color but really did like the anvil color.

I looked closely at all 4 corners where tow hooks could be on non-Trailhawk models and I think you perhaps could remove the front covers that are in those spaces. Does not look possible to remove them in the rear bumper. Not certain if there's screw holes behind those covers so I am not so certain you could add them yourself.

Regarding adding a trailer hitch that may be possible, in the same spot as where the factory hitch goes in the bumper, not under the car. If you look at a Cherokee hitch it's also mounted in the bumper. And it has a cosmetic cover that may have been added when the center of the bumper is cut out to access pre-fab bolt holes that may be under the bumper cover. I spoke with a general manager and he is going to find out about this and will let me know if it's possible.

Ok I now save the best news for last. However first I must offer up one word of caution. My mother always told me to believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. But fyi I picked the brain of this general manager quite a bit. I told him that I will wait until a glass roof comes out, even if it takes a year. He told me that when he recently went to Jeep for training on this car he asked about a glass roof and was told that it IS planned for the USA, maybe less than a year from now. If this is true then I hope this news makes everyone's day.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok I now save the best news for last. However first I must offer up one word of caution. My mother always told me to believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. But fyi I picked the brain of this general manager quite a bit. I told him that I will wait until a glass roof comes out, even if it takes a year. He told me that when he recently went to Jeep for training on this car he asked about a glass roof and was told that it IS planned for the USA, maybe less than a year from now. If this is true then I hope this news makes everyone's day.
That is good to hear. I've recently decided it may be wise for me to cool my jets and wait for a bit on the new car purchase (the washing machine crapping out the other day was the final straw). So maybe by the time I am ready to move, the manual trannies will be around and the trailer hitch and glass sunroof situation will be sorted. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One little tid bit to add. I backed up my Fiat 500L beside the Renegade and it's the exact same length. No big surprise since it's built of the same chassis. But ouch such a smaller trunk!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Sky option

Unfortunately so far all Renegades delivered to the dealers are without My Sky fixed or power option!? When I tried to order one local dealer in the Chicago area told me that this option will be available in July!
Any news on this?
Similar story with the spare tire - no such option so far is available...

Andre

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks Hmmm! Here's some gas money:

$$$ :)

So I see the Renegade is the same length and height as an L. Just squarer and boxier. Good to know. A guy has an L at work. This helps.

Looks like it was a nice day too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Unfortunately so far all Renegades delivered to the dealers are without My Sky fixed or power option!? When I tried to order one local dealer in the Chicago area told me that this option will be available in July!
Any news on this?
Andre
Don't know about A July date. However the G M from this dealership told me that when he went to visit Jeep for the Renegade introduction he asked the Jeep rep about My Sky and was told that the first batch of Renegades would come out without any My a Sky versions and the Jeep guy could not or would not explain why. He was also told that dealers will not be able to order and get "exactly" what is ordered in a special order. Rather shocking news. For me once a glass roof is out I will give them my order with the exact options I want and the color I want and will just sit back and wait until they get me exactly what I ordered. Close will not cut it, especially on such a major dollar purchase. Why settle for anything other than a perfect match? Anyone want a kidney that's not quite a perfect match? Think you can live with it? Think you can live with a car that has no rear drink holders? Mine will have to have the 40/20/40 back seat.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks Hmmm! Here's some gas money:

$$$ :)

So I see the Renegade is the same length and height as an L. Just squarer and boxier. Good to know. A guy has an L at work. This helps.

Looks like it was a nice day too.
Closest FIAT relative to the Renegade is the 500x. And the Renegade is roughly the same size as the original Cherokee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.