Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer I used was a bit sketchy, had a bunch of facts wrong now I am nervous. I want to do some pretty heavy off roading and picked up a jeep renegade latitude. The dealer claimed their was no real difference between it and the trail hawk other than .8 inch height and skidplates.

I have been doing more research and it seems all the off road tests are for the trailhawk, sadly my stubby arms did not like trying to reach the roof to store gear on the trailhawk model. Same reason I dumped my wrangler years back.

I wont be doing any of the super gnarly moab trails but will be doing some of the sketchier ones as well as getting into my favorite camping and fishing areas.

I may be able to return the Jeep, the gm at the dealership was not much help but I tracked the owner of the dealership down to let them know about the misinformation being given about the jeep. Like the charging port in the center box being hooked to the radio as well, and 101 other small details.

So what do you all think, will the latitude do or should I start pushing the issue?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The dealer I used was a bit sketchy, had a bunch of facts wrong now I am nervous. I want to do some pretty heavy off roading and picked up a jeep renegade latitude. The dealer claimed their was no real difference between it and the trail hawk other than .8 inch height and skidplates.

I have been doing more research and it seems all the off road tests are for the trailhawk, sadly my stubby arms did not like trying to reach the roof to store gear on the trailhawk model. Same reason I dumped my wrangler years back.

I wont be doing any of the super gnarly moab trails but will be doing some of the sketchier ones as well as getting into my favorite camping and fishing areas.

I may be able to return the Jeep, the gm at the dealership was not much help but I tracked the owner of the dealership down to let them know about the misinformation being given about the jeep. Like the charging port in the center box being hooked to the radio as well, and 101 other small details.

So what do you all think, will the latitude do or should I start pushing the issue?

Do you think you will need skid plates?
That is probably the main difference.
You can always change tyres.
All 4x4 renegades seem to have the 20:1 crawl ratio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your your looking for a cheaper alternative to the TH I wouldn't turn the latitude down. With that said I bought a TH just for the package and I was willing to be stupid and pay over 30 k for a intro car that is not a wrangler etc. lots of variables but it sounds like your already unhappy at this point and you will probably never be happy with this vehicle from now on. I have owned over 100 cars so I got it down lol.

Best of luck to you and if you do decide to take it back do so asap. By law you should have the three day right of recession law but car dealers can be pricks and give you I already sold your trade in speach etc. best of luck to you, keep us updated.

~Reed~

·
Registered
610 Posts
I want to do some pretty heavy off roading and picked up a jeep renegade latitude.
You kind of answered your own question there. While there is quite a bit of marketing behind the TH, it does actually have features that were meant specifically to give it more off-road capability.

You really should have done your homework before purchasing. Plenty of info on Jeep.com as is. The TH's front and rear bumpers gives it better approach and exit angles. Plus, as others have mentioned, it has: the 20:1 crawl ratio (1st gear), skid plates and additional clearance.

Ground clearance can be solved with Daystar's lift. Skid plates can be added if you can find a skilled fabricator. The crawl ratio, however, is not something you can address easily in a cost effective manner.

At any rate, while the TH is the class leader for off-roading in its class, you'd be unrealistic to expect it to do all that a Wrangler can off the pavement. If heavy off-roading is your intent, a used Wrangler might be a wiser move.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You kind of answered your own question there. While there is quite a bit of marketing behind the TH, it does actually have features that were meant specifically to give it more off-road capability.

You really should have done your homework before purchasing. Plenty of info on Jeep.com as is. The TH's front and rear bumpers gives it better approach and exit angles. Plus, as others have mentioned, it has: the 20:1 crawl ratio (1st gear), skid plates and additional clearance.

Ground clearance can be solved with Daystar's lift. Skid plates can be added if you can find a skilled fabricator. The crawl ratio, however, is not something you can address easily in a cost effective manner.

At any rate, while the TH is the class leader for off-roading in its class, you'd be unrealistic to expect it to do all that a Wrangler can off the pavement. If heavy off-roading is your intent, a used Wrangler might be a wiser move.
Re the crawl ratio.
Did you read my link?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are right I screwed up and did not do the right research, that is %100 on me. Needed a new vehicle after a bad wreck and was just out of it and recovering, had to have mates drive me around since I was unable to and fell for the hype from the dealer.

So far I have liked the jeep although it has some things that annoy me like the tiny cargo area. Unlike my old car my fishing poles don't even fit unless at a funky angle or propped up.

The radio update also changed the pov from the back up camera although am used to it now.

I did purchase a new bumper for the rear of the jeep with trailer hitch the like so I can toss my bike rack on it, will have to see if it can tow my small trailer, was told 2500 towing but it is really 2k from what I can see.

Waiting to see if their is a solution for a winch for the renegade and anew front bumper.

Just wondering how limited the machines capability will be compared to the trailhawk version.

On a side note, thank you all for the answers and help even pointing out I was an idiot, this I freely admit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do you think you will need skid plates?
That is probably the main difference.
You can always change tyres.
All 4x4 renegades seem to have the 20:1 crawl ratio.
Sorry I added a link possibly after you posted.
Re the crawl ratio.
Did you read my link?
The PDF in your link does not give specific details of the different models' gearing and whatnot. Your link only provides the basic and generic statement that Jeep gives for advertising. But ther aare differences between TH 4x4 and Lat 4x4 and even Lat 4x4 with manual....

Bwbike explains it nicely...

The Trailhawk does have different gearing than the other automatic Renegades. Its 4.334 final drive ratio compares to 3.734 in the other automatic models. The 4.334 is what gives the Trailhawk the 20.4:1 crawl ratio in first gear. 3.734 final drive equates to a 17.2:1 crawl ratio in first gear for the other models with automatic.

Manual transmission cars get the 4.334 final drive ratio too, but first gear is not as low. The crawl ratio is 18.1 on manual transmission cars.

There is no center differential in the Trailhawk or other models. The 4x4 system is the same on all the Renegades (software programming is likely different).

There are no differential locks, but activating 4WD lock will lock (at least) one front wheel to (at least) one rear wheel. Turning sharply can force wheels to turn at different speeds putting stress on the 4WD system if driven on dry roads for too long.

Hope this helps. :D
So there is a difference between the models.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The Latitude will do well. However, as mentioned above, you will not have the best crawl ratio or the best entry/departure angles due to the bumper design or have skid plates. So you really have to decide how rough you want to get with your off-roading.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If your your looking for a cheaper alternative to the TH I wouldn't turn the latitude down. With that said I bought a TH just for the package and I was willing to be stupid and pay over 30 k for a intro car that is not a wrangler etc. lots of variables but it sounds like your already unhappy at this point and you will probably never be happy with this vehicle from now on. I have owned over 100 cars so I got it down lol.

~Reed~
First of all, wow! 100 cars? I've been driving for 18 years and I'm on my fourth.

Secondly, what do you mean by "a intro car that is not a wrangler etc."? That makes the Renegade sound like a wannabe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think what will make the difference is going to be the aftermarket parts that are available. This is still a fairly new car here in the USA, and I have big hopes for aftermarket parts. I know some are saying crawl control difference and gear ratio difference between the trim lvls buts lets lay it out; when you WFO in a tight spot on a trail or mud, the end game will be traction and clearance. I don't think any of the Renegade models will have trouble spinning any of the tire packages available. If you start lifting and throwing larger meat under it, I know the ratio will be worth the upgrade. I'm sure you guys know way more about what I'm talking about than I do but now that I'm vested in a TH I'm sure I will become a professional through trial and error.

Did you decide to take the car back or keep it?

·
Registered
610 Posts
So far I have liked the jeep although it has some things that annoy me like the tiny cargo area. Unlike my old car my fishing poles don't even fit unless at a funky angle or propped up.
If you transport such items often enough, might want to look into one of those streamlined cargo cases (roof rack mounted). Or do what fly fishermen do, PVC tube with end caps and mounted to roof rack.

I did purchase a new bumper for the rear of the jeep with trailer hitch the like so I can toss my bike rack on it, will have to see if it can tow my small trailer, was told 2500 towing but it is really 2k from what I can see.
That's definitely not helping your exit angle. 2k is the tow rating. Never listen to a dealer about vehicle specs. It doesn't take much to get hired as a salesmen. Most are generally clueless and only interested in making sales so they can get their numbers and commission. And because they are not salaried, they tend to say/do anything to make a sale.

Waiting to see if their is a solution for a winch for the renegade and anew front bumper.

Just wondering how limited the machines capability will be compared to the trailhawk version. On a side note, thank you all for the answers and help even pointing out I was an idiot, this I freely admit.
Based on the spec differences, the difference in capability should be clear. For most forest service and park trails, you'll be fine. Just be mindful of approach/exit angles and wheel placement.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think what will make the difference is going to be the aftermarket parts that are available. This is still a fairly new car here in the USA, and I have big hopes for aftermarket parts. I know some are saying crawl control difference and gear ratio difference between the trim lvls buts lets lay it out; when you WFO in a tight spot on a trail or mud, the end game will be traction and clearance. I don't think any of the Renegade models will have trouble spinning any of the tire packages available. If you start lifting and throwing larger meat under it, I know the ratio will be worth the upgrade. I'm sure you guys know way more about what I'm talking about than I do but now that I'm vested in a TH I'm sure I will become a professional through trial and error.

Did you decide to take the car back or keep it?
So far think I am going to keep it, I have liked the small size of the Jeep although still fairly disappointed (mainly at my self for rushing and making decisions while in pain and on meds) purchased their extra warranty stuff so supposedly even if I do something stupid like ford a deep river and fry it that it is covered.

This is also a stupid complaint but I hate the key the jeep uses, way to big and not at all rugged ruined 2 already. Finally had a flat key using a fiat blank mold so I can unlock the jeep even if I cant use it to drive the jeep.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you transport such items often enough, might want to look into one of those streamlined cargo cases (roof rack mounted). Or do what fly fishermen do, PVC tube with end caps and mounted to roof rack.

That's definitely not helping your exit angle. 2k is the tow rating. Never listen to a dealer about vehicle specs. It doesn't take much to get hired as a salesmen. Most are generally clueless and only interested in making sales so they can get their numbers and commission. And because they are not salaried, they tend to say/do anything to make a sale.

Based on the spec differences, the difference in capability should be clear. For most forest service and park trails, you'll be fine. Just be mindful of approach/exit angles and wheel placement.
Unfortunately I don't have any more room to put items on the roof, my supdawg takes a large amount of space and the other little bit of space is taken by the thule get a grip. Use to keep my poles and other gear in the back of my old daily car as I would go almost daily.

Trying to figure out how to get some spare fuel cans added to the Jeep all in all she is a pain to get set up right if it can be done. Has been a good car so far, cant fault it for the owners mistakes :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So far think I am going to keep it . . .
You will be okay. There is not a lot of difference between the 17:1 crawl ratio in your car to the 20:1 crawl ratio the Trailhawk has. Vehicles with a real two speed transfer case can have crawl ratios of 40 or 50 to one (or more). Now that is a big difference and why Wranglers with the right tires & suspension set up will go places other "cars" cannot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.