Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has installed a lift kit so far? I think my first mod will be a cargo basket up top for camping and such. After that I'm thinking a lift. What kind of lift is the best choice? One has shocks and one doesn't? and how about 1.5 compared to 3? would stock tires make it look weird starting out or will it be fine until i collect money to get new tires. input guys. help me out.

http://www.carid.com/daystar/3-x-3-...09126bk.html?gclid=CKGEg4u2h8sCFQkwaQodwpIC4Q

http://www.morris4x4center.com/daystar-1-5-series-spacer-lift-kit-day-kj09168bk.html

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just know that you may have some alignment issues (minor) with daystars lift. I am pretty sure RRO is working hard on finding a solution for alignment so you don't have to worry about it with their lift. Whereas it seems like Daystar just lets you try to figure out that problem. Not sure what Madness is going to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just know that you may have some alignment issues (minor) with daystars lift. I am pretty sure RRO is working hard on finding a solution for alignment so you don't have to worry about it with their lift. Whereas it seems like Daystar just lets you try to figure out that problem. Not sure what Madness is going to do.
Great info. So maybe I should stay away from them then. I will look into these other ones then.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great info. So maybe I should stay away from them then. I will look into these other ones then.
I've heard the alignment isn't horrible, but still out of spec which means you'd have to rotate them more frequently.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's not your first vehicle right?
On any vehicle you have to rotate your tires after so many miles to adjust for tire wear. (Look at an old pair of shoes for example, you left or right foot may wear that shoe out more quickly than the other shoe). So to prevent abnormal wear, you rotate the tires.

Well if your wheel alignment is off from factory specs, you will have to rotate them more frequently than normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you lift it you'll lose camber, but you'll go less negative, which won't hurt your tires. 1.5" shouldn't make your camber positive, but by adjusting the strut to knuckle and strut to body mount you should be able to get back into spec. Toe won't be a problem. But definitely get an alignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not your first vehicle right?
On any vehicle you have to rotate your tires after so many miles to adjust for tire wear. (Look at an old pair of shoes for example, you left or right foot may wear that shoe out more quickly than the other shoe). So to prevent abnormal wear, you rotate the tires.

Well if your wheel alignment is off from factory specs, you will have to rotate them more frequently than normal.
Lol no I know that I need to rotate tires. Lol. We were talking about lifts so I didn't know if there was a items that needed to be rotated on the lift. ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
When you lift it you'll lose camber, but you'll go less negative, which won't hurt your tires. 1.5" shouldn't make your camber positive, but by adjusting the strut to knuckle and strut to body mount you should be able to get back into spec. Toe won't be a problem. But definitely get an alignment.

Here is an alignment report from a Daystar lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
To get the rear toe in spec you might need to loosen the fore and aft trailing arms on the knuckle, pull it toe out to compress the aft arm and put tension on the fore arm and torque back down. This should give the extra 0.5* you need on each side and then dial it back in with the cam bolt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know your stuff seeing the paper helps. But all the adjusting and all that makes sense why to do it. But how to go about this does now. Lol. Maybe when I get my lift it will make sense.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is a totally unacceptable amount of rear toe. That should be, and can be fixed. Also, the camber can be fixed too the way I described previously.

Agreed, but they leave you to fix it. RRO is trying to come up with a solution so you aren't left in the dark to figure it out. Hopefully Madness does too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed, but they leave you to fix it. RRO is trying to come up with a solution so you aren't left in the dark to figure it out. Hopefully Madness does too.
Well the solution is simple, do a proper alignment. There's no magic about it. You paid for an alignment. If they're capable, but unwilling to do it properly, get your money back. It would take me 30 minutes, max an hour, to make this alignment proper with no need for additional parts or tools.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well the solution is simple, do a proper alignment. There's no magic about it. You paid for an alignment. If they're capable, but unwilling to do it properly, get your money back. It would take me 30 minutes, max an hour, to make this alignment proper with no need for additional parts or tools.

That report wasn't mine. It was a hard core jeeper in AZ. My alignment report was also off and was done here in Utah (they tried at least 3 separate times). If those two completely different shops had problems then maybe it's not as easy as you might think. However, maybe it is!

If you get a lift I'd sure love a write up of how you get it aligned properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That report wasn't mine. It was a hard core jeeper in AZ. My alignment report was also off and was done here in Utah (they tried at least 3 separate times). If those two completely different shops had problems then maybe it's not as easy as you might think. However, maybe it is!

If you get a lift I'd sure love a write up of how you get it aligned properly.
I do about two of these alignments a day on Renegades. I actually have a Wrangler, but I work on the Renagade so much and saw so much questionable information on here I figured I could lend a hand. I know from personal experience you can lift a renegade 35-38mils and get suspension not only in spec, but nominal. I know what it's like to chase your tail do I figured I could help out here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.