Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
I saw that Renny. It looks more tan than anything, kinda dark desert tan color. Not bad but not my cup o tea.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
This is the color I was hoping to like. I'll know for certain once I see one in person.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Thanks for the pictures; I might reconsider my color choice. That looks a little too white for my taste.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a lot darker on the Jeep web site than in person.
Thanks for the pics. This answers my question. I actually prefer the more cream colored look. The regular beige tan is too plain for me. I might consider this color.

I was originally thinking something bright like orange, yellow or blue, but I have this terrible habit of buying colors (my current car is black) that look wonderful when clean and terrible when dirty. And I've come to the conclusion that I'm just way too lazy about keeping my car washed and waxed, so it ends up looking good about 2% of the time. I think my next car needs to be a more neutral color that won't look so bad when dirty, but still bright enough to not be overly plain.

· Registered
610 Posts
It looks like if you were to have coffee and added a bunch of cream. That's what it reminded me of. It's a lot darker on the Jeep web site than in person.
Looks like the sand color the military paints their HMMWV in for the sand box, but glossy. I'm surprised Jeep's site is so far off. I've worked on advertising for other brands and generally much attention is paid to getting the colors to match as closely as we can across all media. Either Jeep supplied their ad agency with the wrong paint chip or someone at the other end didn't do due diligence.

Honestly, I think Jeep should offer certain colors in matte or satin instead of gloss. Would probably sell like hot cakes. If so much effort was made to pay homage to the original willy's, why not do so with paint too?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I never liked matte finish paints. Harley started that a few years ago and it just looks like really old paint.

There is just something about shiny paint; when you wax it, it looks so nice.

· Registered
602 Posts
Looks like the sand color the military paints their HMMWV in for the sand box, but glossy. I'm surprised Jeep's site is so far off. I've worked on advertising for other brands and generally much attention is paid to getting the colors to match as closely as we can across all media. Either Jeep supplied their ad agency with the wrong paint chip or someone at the other end didn't do due diligence.

Honestly, I think Jeep should offer certain colors in matte or satin instead of gloss. Would probably sell like hot cakes. If so much effort was made to pay homage to the original willy's, why not do so with paint too?
I would kill for some flat colors. The 500X has a semigloss flat black available that I wish we could get on the Renegade...... It would win hands down, but now I'm crossed up between Mojave, commando and Anvil.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to go take a look at this color tomorrow. The local dealer's website shows he has one on the lot.

I'm really starting to like this color from all the pictures I've seen. Perhaps I'm a bit OCD, but I also like to have the accents on the interior of my vehicles match the exterior somewhat. So I was thinking originally maybe I would get those accents painted to match, or else maybe buy Mopar replacements if they offer them. But the Mojave Sand probably matches pretty good with the bronze accents on the interior trim pieces of the black cloth interior. Or even the beige cloth interior would go well with this exterior color.

· Registered
27 Posts

100% AGREE!!! The clearcoat gloss is awful. I'm going with glacier because it's the only trailhawk color that's a metallic, and not these tacky solid glossy colors.

Even if some of these colors were metallic coats it would be an improvement. Though matte would be killer.

· Registered
610 Posts
100% AGREE!!! The clearcoat gloss is awful. I'm going with glacier because it's the only trailhawk color that's a metallic, and not these tacky solid glossy colors.

Even if some of these colors were metallic coats it would be an improvement. Though matte would be killer.
If I get one it'd be white. Silver would probably be my distant second choice. My last Jeep (96 GC Laredo) was also white. It's easy to take care of and easy to match when paint repair is needed. Plus, I can vinyl wrap the black roof portion instead of paying more to have a body shop paint over the black factory paint.

That aspect of the TH version always bothered me. It just doesn't make the Renegade look any more like a Wrangler or Willy's. Why even try? The Renegade looks much better with matching color on the roof.

The blue could work too, would almost match my '01 BMW M Roadster (1 of 7). But, it's probably too loud of a color for a Jeep.

As for whoever said matte/satin paints look cheap... The first time a matte/satin paint was used on a mass production car was on a special edition Lamborghini Gallardo wearing satin pearlescent white paint. I was working for Nissan/Infiniti's ad agency at the time and got to get up close and personal with it at its LA Auto Show debut during the press/industry days. Let me tell you, it made the 10/10 models hired to work the Lamborghini booth look cheap. At all other manufacturer booths (including Ferrari) people gawked at the models. At Lamborghini, no one paid attention to them (and they were Hhhhhhot!)

Matte/satin paint isn't for everything. It has its place. For the Jeep brand, I think there is definitely a place for it. Plus you don't ever need to wax or polish the paint. Fits Jeep's rugged utilitarian image perfectly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.