Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide what the best route for a hitch is. Renegade Ready sells the entire kit, but for a Latitude with wiring kit, it would run me about $487. I see the hitch kit on MOPAR is $195 before any discounts. A wiring kit & labor would be additional of course, but it seems that it might still come in under $500 and save me the labor.
Does the Mopar kit below seem to have everything sans the wiring?

Receiver Kit, Trailer Tow - RECEIVER KIT, Trailer Tow

Part # 82214682
Number on Image: 1 Categories: Mopar Accessories - Component Parts MSRP $195.00Price may vary by dealer

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
845 Posts
All I can say is, good luck to anyone trying to cut the holes in the bumper cover without a template. The Renegade Ready template is invaluable. I'd recommend you have a meeting with an installer to see if they would be willing to tackle that, before ordering the MOPAR parts. Also, there's going to be some plastic fasteners destroyed in the process - find out about those too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put the Renegade Ready kit in this weekend, it was pretty straightforward, excellent instructions. The bumper cutting was the worst part, its pretty flexible and you have no way of supporting it from the back, so you just need to take your time.

Personally, I wouldn't even mess with trying to piece it together thru Mopar, just spend the money and go with the RR Kit. As far as labor, chances are they wont even cut the bumper and will insist on a new bumper. Also it seems that they don't know much about the hitch install, price quotes for labor are all over the board. One dealer quoted me $500 just for labor! I got fed up with trying to explain things and just carved out some time and did it myself.

As far as your question, yes the only hardware that comes with the actual bumper is the hitch, 4 bolts and trim piece. The RR Kit also comes with the template and template alignment checking tool (piece of pre cut cardboard).

The wiring kit will cost you another $100 and you will need at least 10 of the blue body clips, if not more. Also, if you look at the RR site they recommend all the tools you need - get them. I spent about $20 on Amazon for the trim tools and clip remover and they were invaluable. I also used a standard wall saw for the straight cut, and a handheld finer tooth blade for the curved edges.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks SemperFi. I'm quite confident I could do the job and have plenty of tools, but was curious if I could actually get a dealer to do it for $500 or less.

After talking with the parts department, they only quoted me for the hitch @ $165 so I figure by the time they get all the necessary parts, scratch their head for 2 days, get a few more parts, ruin my bumper, order another, wait 2 days for clips, charge me for 7 hours of labor, I'd have a $800 hitch! I'll order the RR kit and get a $4.99 six pack of PBR and call it a day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well if your confident you can do it you're miles ahead of me, at least prior to the install. I had no idea if I could do it or not, but I was able to pull it together so if I can do it, anyone can lol.

Pulling the fender trim clips and cutting the hole were the hardest (frustrating, stressful) parts, everything else is straight wrench turning.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For what's it's worth, I think you've got the best plan. A coworker bought a new Durango and installing a factory hitch was part of the deal. After two weeks of excuses as to why it wasn't ready yet he finally went down to the dealership. His Durango was in one of the service bays. The advisor said the tech was running into issues. He walked into the bay to see what the issue is. The tech was too scared to cut the bumper (he did have it removed). They used a small power tool that from the description sounded like a Roto Zip to me. After an hour of begging, encouraging, arguing, etc, my coworker got fed up and told the guy to give him the tool, and he cut the hole himself. Told the guy he'd be back in a few hours and to have it put back together. I don't know what it cost him, but I installed the RR kit. It wasn't nearly bad enough to make it worth going through that to avoid it or save even $500.

·
Registered
51 Posts
82214682 is incomplete. I recommend the Renegade Ready kit.

Trying to decide what the best route for a hitch is. Renegade Ready sells the entire kit, but for a Latitude with wiring kit, it would run me about $487. I see the hitch kit on MOPAR is $195 before any discounts. A wiring kit & labor would be additional of course, but it seems that it might still come in under $500 and save me the labor.
Does the Mopar kit below seem to have everything sans the wiring?
I got a look at the new Mopar "kit" 82214682 at a dealer, and it's a sad joke. It is basically only the bumper itself and the instructions are terrible. I grabbed a pic of the title page to demonstrate what's lacking, and that their "kit" instructions require a new bumper cover "to be purchased separately" along with the trim bezel to be "purchased separately".

I did check and noticed that Renegade Ready has just a single version of the kit now to work with all models instead of having to pay extra for the specialty bolts for non-TH install. Give it a look.

I put a post up about the 82214682 shortcomings last week here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.