Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I wanted to start a thread for those of us with the 1.4 Turbo / manual transmission / 4X4.

I just picked up mine on Monday. It's the Latitude model with 16 inch tires (only tire option for the turbo).

I live on a mountain at 4700 feet and town is 2600 feet below, so the typical drive we do is basically coasting to town, a little flat driving around town and then powering the whole way back up the mountain.

So far after driving up and down the mountain a couple times we are averaging 27 mpg, compared to about 16 mpg with the Toyota FJ Cruiser manual. We are happy with that as we usually get close to the estimated city mpg because of all the uphill. Will post more after we have driven more miles.

If you have mpg numbers for a Renegade Turbo please post here. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
90% highway, averaging 72-76mph with elevation changes from 600ft at the start to sea level at the finish: 25-26mpg looking at the gauges, and calculating numbers at fill-up. Approximately 1,300 miles. Love the cruise control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've gotten as much as 39 mpg on some trips (mostly highway) but overall life time average is 32.9mpg with about 1/3 being highway, 1/3 city and 1/3 two lane state roads. 1.4L 6 manual Latitude 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nice Thread! I like your Jeep Hoodoo - I got the same thing, I ordered a 2016 Model, Omaha Orange with Bark Brown/Ski Gray interior 4x4, 1.4L, manual, MySky panels, cold weather group, and Beats Audio! Very similar to yours, I can't wait! I will post my MPG numbers up several months from now when I take delivery.

Reactions: hoodoo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice Thread! I like your Jeep Hoodoo - I got the same thing, I ordered a 2016 Model, Omaha Orange with Bark Brown/Ski Gray interior 4x4, 1.4L, manual, MySky panels, cold weather group, and Beats Audio! Very similar to yours, I can't wait! I will post my MPG numbers up several months from now when I take delivery.
Cool - looking forward to hearing about the 2016 model.

I just filled up the tank for the first time after 234 miles and got a hand calculated 26.7 MPG (filled it up when it looked like it had about a third of a tank left). Very pleased with this! I can tell that if I lived in a flatter area it would be even higher. Since the dealer filled it the first time, I figure the next fill up will be the most accurate, but it only had 8 miles on it when I took possession so they didn't drive it too much!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was getting right around 24 to 25 mpg. My driving is about 90% urban (stop & go, never over 30 mph) so I think that's pretty good. My 1.6 liter Kia Soul I sold to buy this was getting an mpg or so better but I figure sacraficing one or two mpg for 4 wheel drive and 1000 more pounds is not that bad.
The few times I've had it on the highway its easily been in the mid 30's range.
At about 3000 miles I put on a set of streetable all terrain tires with a larger diameter than stock. I only took a two or three mpg hit for this which surprised me. I'm getting between 22 and 23 now.
-Jason

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was getting right around 24 to 25 mpg. My driving is about 90% urban (stop & go, never over 30 mph) so I think that's pretty good. My 1.6 liter Kia Soul I sold to buy this was getting an mpg or so better but I figure sacraficing one or two mpg for 4 wheel drive and 1000 more pounds is not that bad.
At about 3000 miles I put on a set of streetable all terrain tires with a larger diameter than stock. I only took a two or three mpg hit for this which surprised me. I'm getting between 22 and 23 now.
-Jason
Jason, with the larger diameter tires are you calculating the mpg differently given that each mile recorded on the odometer will actually be greater than a mile? Or did you figure out a way to calibrate the Jeep's computer to account for the difference?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I could do that but here's my thoughts:

1. I highly doubt that Jeep has two different calibrations for the trailhawk vs. all other Renegade tire sizes. If I am off due to the tire being .66" larger than a Trailhawk my estimates would be lower than actual (slightly). I'd rather be under than over.

2. My other car is a 400 hp V8 Miata that I have running on a completely programable stand alone ecu called a megasquirt II. I track my on track and street mileage it gets via a dedicated gps reciever and use that data to adjust injector pulse widths, fuel over run strategy, warm up and acceleration enrichment, etc. Its awesome fun but exhausting. I'm fine with being that concerned with details on my "hobby car" but for my daily driver I'm happy with being a few mpgs off.

-Jason

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally signed up for fuelly and posted my last tank fill numbers there. It doesn't show in the list of all Renegades yet so maybe that takes a day or two. Anyway here it is:

# Date Miles Gallons MPG Price City %
1 10/4/15 262.00 9.840 26.63 2.669 30%

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Filled up again - 26.4 MPG this time after going 249 miles on the tank. 20% City but was racing around a bit on this tank which lowered it some after the highway miles. Averaged 28.5 MPG on the highway at 65 MPH with the hitch mounted Thule Cargo box on the back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After 3 tanks I am averaging 26.2 MPG with 10% city and 90% highway driving. My previous car was a 5 speed so I do forget to shift into 6th sometimes while on the highway which has lowered it a lttle bit. I could probably gain a few more MPG's if I drove a little more conservatively but where's the fun in that :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went real off roading this last weekend at the AOAA, an abandoned strip mine converted into an outdoor park in the Poconos. Most of the day I crawled around in first gear with just a few quick jumps to second when I found myself on a gravel or dirt access road to the trails. I was amazed at the end of the day not only with the Non-Trailhawk Renegade's ability to do about 80% of what "Real" Jeeps could do* but also the fact that I got 16.5 mpgs doing it!

*I actually was able to negotiate many of the ATV trails with the Renegade that the Wranglers just don't fit on. If you add this in I guess maybe the 80% changes...

-Jason

·
Registered
607 Posts
-Jason
The Renegade Latitude 1.4L 4x4 only weighs about 250-300 lbs more than a Kia Soul depending on the Kia's trim level (the renegade is only 3,044 lbs in this configuration) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Sport 1.4 4X4. I haven't reset the trip meter since the vehicle was delivered to dealer. With 1350 miles showing, my average MPG is 30.3, 80% city driving. I try to maximize my mileage, short shifting when traffic allows. (I do try and accelerate hard once every couple days to keep carbon deposits down). I can drive at 40mph on an arterial in 5th gear, getting better than 40mpg. The turbo 1.4l is great for mileage, and plenty of power when you need it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Sport 1.4 4X4. I haven't reset the trip meter since the vehicle was delivered to dealer. With 1350 miles showing, my average MPG is 30.3, 80% city driving. I try to maximize my mileage, short shifting when traffic allows. (I do try and accelerate hard once every couple days to keep carbon deposits down). I can drive at 40mph on an arterial in 5th gear, getting better than 40mpg. The turbo 1.4l is great for mileage, and plenty of power when you need it!
You should reset your trip odometer. The 30.3 won't change so you are just seeing what it was set at when it was built. Once you reset it you will start to see your true mpg.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.