Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2015 TH in for an oil change last Friday (8/5/16) and of course she needed some software updates, 10(!) to be exact. [The last software update had 10 as well, performed 12/11/2015.]
The dealer knew it would takes hours so thankfully they offered a loaner. Went back the next day to pick up my Stimpy and all seemed well. Drove for about 11 miles when suddenly, and thankfully just around the corner from home, she decided she wasn't going to go any farther. Engine started sputtering like the timing was off and dark smoke was emanating from the tailpipe.
The dealership had it towed back to them and they gave me back the loaner. Right now I am still waiting for word on the cause but I am willing to bet it is one of the three updates for the drivetrain and transmission.
I have details on the software patches on my paperwork at home and will add that info once I have it in hand. I just wanted to get this info out there as a forewarning and to see if anyone else received the new software updates and had issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just got word from the dealer that it wasn't the updates but rather the Multi Air Intake which bricked.
Coincidence? God only knows; but add this to one more strange issue the Renegades seem plagued with. Now I wait for the parts to arrive... I give it till week's end before I have Stimpy back.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Well, I just got word from the dealer that it wasn't the updates but rather the Multi Air Intake which bricked.
Coincidence? God only knows; but add this to one more strange issue the Renegades seem plagued with. Now I wait for the parts to arrive... I give it till week's end before I have Stimpy back.
Seeing as you are the first I have noticed of the multi-air unit going south, I wouldn't say plagued exactly. On the upside, if it's rare, the wait on parts shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
604 Posts
yeah, this is the first I've heard of such a failure as well. The MultiAir valvetrain modules have been widely used over the past 7 years in Fiats, Alfa Romeos, Chryslers, Dodges, Jeeps and Ram ProMasters. They seem to be surprisingly reliable, considering their complexity. Sounds like a case of bad luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.