Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2016 Trailhawk w/ a MySky sunroof. It has rained a few times since I bought it, and had no issues. We have had a lot of rain recently, and flooding. I drove through some "high" water on my way to work yesterday 3-19-2020. By the time I got off at 5pm my jeep smelled AWFUL of mildew and musty!! I checked all the carpet and roof, but nothing is wet. Drove home with all the windows down. Today, it still smells. No signs of any water leaking. I have no clue what it could be. I read to check my cabin air filter, but haven't got the chance. I turned the circulation air on full blast for a few minutes thinking it might be in the vents maybe from driving through high waters? It still had the "new car smell" when I bought, and now it stinks. I don't want to mask the smell, but need to find a solution.

·
Super Moderator
3,168 Posts
and enjoy the forum!

Bring it to the experts and let them find out what is wrong.
If your smelling it now it most likely is old damage or something under the hood or in the AC system or ect.
Bring it to the experts and let them find out what is wrong!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Old damage was found as I read the old forum posts last night. Seek and ye shall find, ask and ye will hear......

Old musty smells mean you are either nose blind or not wanting to have your Jeep looked at.

FYI and I hate those letters. Search low on the front of your Jeep behind the wheels. water has been gathering there for many a long time and seeping into your deafening and carpets.

Don't you just love it when someone says I smell mildew for the 1st time. :unsure:(n)(n)(n)

·
Registered
653 Posts
It was believed to be the A/C unit, nope. No filters.

Merely a grommet, low down that allowed an accumulation of water to seep into the "deafening" then a secondary leak was found higher up behind the wheel that was constantly soaked.

The orginal poster of the topic hoped that the dampness was remaining low down until the Garage noted it had spread upwards towards the steering column.

Perhaps I read it all wrong but it was 6 weeks at the Dealership as far as I recall for drying out and replacement of carpeting etc.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

I would definitely check the cabin filter. The stink will stick to the A/C condenser and will require a spray type A/C condenser cleaner to get rid of the smell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was the rear floors of your Jeep wet with the smell of windshield solvent? My 2016 had a broken line to the rear wiper and the car smelled like solvent. It was a terribly expensive repair. I was told that if it wasnt repaired the car would eventually have a mildew and musty smell. Jeep had to be stripped to the frame and the wiring harness replaced to fix the solvent line.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The previous owner may have done what you have done; drove through high water. They had mold/mildew (causing the musty smell) which eventually dried out so the stink died. You got it re-wet, so now it's "alive", literally, once again. It doesn't take much water to bring the mold/mildew back to life, but after checking your cabin air filter I'd peel back the carpet to see if the smell is coming from under there. I'd also check the A/C drain hose to make sure it's not clogged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a used 2016 Trailhawk w/ a MySky sunroof. It has rained a few times since I bought it, and had no issues. We have had a lot of rain recently, and flooding. I drove through some "high" water on my way to work yesterday 3-19-2020. By the time I got off at 5pm my jeep smelled AWFUL of mildew and musty!! I checked all the carpet and roof, but nothing is wet. Drove home with all the windows down. Today, it still smells. No signs of any water leaking. I have no clue what it could be. I read to check my cabin air filter, but haven't got the chance. I turned the circulation air on full blast for a few minutes thinking it might be in the vents maybe from driving through high waters? It still had the "new car smell" when I bought, and now it stinks. I don't want to mask the smell, but need to find a solution.
Replace the cabin filter first. Or spray bleach on it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The previous owner may have done what you have done; drove through high water. I'd peel back the carpet to see if the smell is coming from under there. I'd also check the A/C drain hose to make sure it's not clogged.
You put it more eloquently than I did and it's ony a couple of posts above therefore I shall try again. (y):D

There was a was a post just a few weeks ago where a member told us of a similar issue and that the Garage couldn't find out what was causing the confirmed fault.

6 weeks later they found it was water ingress from 2 grommets behind the wheel arch. 1 was low down and they believed they had sorted it. Then realised that a 2nd grommet was sitting higher up and still allowing wet weather road surface water to ingress the Jeep.

I cannot know if this is the cause with this Jeep but our member did say they had no further issues after the repairs to the grommets and a whole new set of carpets and deafening within the steering area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts