Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days and 400 miles into my new Trailhawk and I'm feeling pretty **** good about it.

It's a Commando Green TrailHawk with Premium Leather Group, Cold Weather Group, 6.5 NAV, Power MySky, Remote / Push Button Start, 9 Speaker, Hood Decal packages.

I traded in a well loaded 2012 Focus. My 4 years with the Focus was a great experience as I had absolutely no issues at all and will use it as a comparison point along with my g/f's 2015 Grand Cherokee that I occasionally drive.

First off, it's a **** sexy vehicle. I can't stop looking at it. When I was at the gas station earlier, people were staring at it. When I was at the dealership, it just came off the truck and all the sales staff were looking it over. It demands attention! I posted it on Facebook and my friend went and bought one of the same color the very next day.

The interior stands out in a really good way with it's unique styling, Jeep heritage, and premium feel. It borrows a lot from the GC (Grand Cherokee) that we have with the same exact steering wheel controls, 4x4 control knob, Uconnect / NAV Interface on the 6.5, and other controls. My Focus had the 8" touch screen and the GC has the 8.4 so it's a little adjustment to go to the 6.5 on the Renegade. Not sure how I would have handled the 5.0. The seats kind of hug you so you kinda need to be centered. If I were a heavy person I can picture myself not being comfortable in them.

I love the elevated seating position. I feel in command, and importantly safe in the Jeep. The drive on the road feels good. It feels like a truck, but handles like a car with a good turn radius and handles corners well.

I'm still forming an opinion on the engine so far. The speed is slightly faster than the Focus. The biggest weakness so far is passing other cars. At one point I needed to pass a vehicle when I was going around 55. I floored the pedal and it took what seemed a few seconds before it dropped gear to speed up. Not something I'm used to but the only occurrence so far. Also, not the best for accelerating from a complete stop. Once you're in motion the engine drives and shifts pretty well for me.

The trunk is tiny. I wish it were a tad longer as most suitcases will have to be loaded horizontally which limits space, but that's what we have the GC for.

I will have to adjust to the difference in gas mileage. My Focus avg'd 34.5 while the Renegade will probably be 24-25 with similar sized gas tanks. I would get around 400 miles on a full tank on the Focus where I'm probably closer to 325-350 on the Renegade.

The back up camera works great, but doesn't have back up sensors unless you have the safety package. The GC has a camera with sensors. The Focus had back up sensors without the camera and so far I do miss the audible sounds despite having the camera.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the Renegade. I almost played it safe by going with an AWD Ford Escape as I view Ford's as very reliable (from my experiences), but went with the Jeep. It's a more natural decision being in Southern Utah with all the off-roading landmarks in the state, the occasional snow dumps, along with a lot of the bumpy dirt roads I encounter at work with the Jeep is the perfect fit with the added ability to off-road.

Highly Recommended!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another great review. I especially agree with the "it demands attention" part.
Everywhere we go with it people are attracted to it.
DW was coming out of work (shopping mall) to see a car circling it in the lot.
When she got closer it turned out to be one of her employees.
Her dad came to pick her up and both saw the Reney and were admiring it.

I don't get to drive it often, but notice people staring at it at red lights, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe you need the safety and security package. I'll double check my settings when I have the chance.

Are the audible alerts for the backup cam something you can turn on? Seems I might have read that in the user guide.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see a way to edit my review, but I feel the need to add about the My Sky sunroof rattling. I'm not the only one: http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/5-new-member-introductions/21585-my-sky-sunroof.html

It happens more often than not. It doesn't bother me too much, but I can see how it would definitely bother others, especially it being a $1500 option. If I hear of a fix I will have the dealer take care of it. As of now, I expect it's one of those things they wouldnt have anything in line unless they hear from Jeep themselves.

Reactions: rambo

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't see a way to edit my review, but I feel the need to add about the My Sky sunroof rattling. I'm not the only one: http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/5-new-member-introductions/21585-my-sky-sunroof.html

It happens more often than not. It doesn't bother me too much, but I can see how it would definitely bother others, especially it being a $1500 option. If I hear of a fix I will have the dealer take care of it. As of now, I expect it's one of those things they wouldnt have anything in line unless they hear from Jeep themselves.
Hopefully its as simple as some bushings needed to be inserted in some places to absorb the movement. Surprised that for a vehicle meant to go off-road that rattling is something that is being experienced. off-road testing would have brought up and saw to it that this issue be weeded out.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Really sorry to hear this, especially after your initial enthusiasm about the Renny. Hope it's an easy fix, but yeah, that rattling would drive me crazy (and up to now I'd been really kicking myself for not getting the My Sky package). Maybe something aftermarket just to wedge in the gap temporarily?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.