Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.
It is not my first fabrication.
But it is my first Renegade mod I've performed.
Next is front skid plate. Iwill be using 3/16 aluminium with reinforcements to use OE locations.
Then the rear diff using 3/16 steel plate and hopefully fuel tank using aluminium plating.

It is a midship skid plate to protect driveline support bearing bracket. I found it to be too exposed to damage during a breakover.
3/16 mild steel plate, attached using OEM studs.
TH plate is a tin can in comparison. >:D

Cheers...

·
Registered
124 Posts
This looks great. Would also be a good addition with some height adjustment for those that add the DayStar kit and lower the bearing bracket. I think I read in a post on here that the OEM TH one will no longer work with the DayStar kit installed. Erik

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear skid plate is proven to be a challenge, but it is coming along.
It requires 4 attachment point creates as there are none from factory.
One is very tricky, I have to weld a tab to RH side of rrear suspension cradle.
This is 90% finished skid plate minus front front mounting feet.
IT is made from 1/4" thick mild steel plating.
Overkill, you betcha!

Cheers...

·
Registered
607 Posts
The rear skid plate is proven to be a challenge, but it is coming along.
It requires 4 attachment point creates as there are none from factory.
One is very tricky, I have to weld a tab to RH side of rrear suspension cradle.
This is 90% finished skid plate minus front front mounting feet.
IT is made from 1/4" thick mild steel plating.
Overkill, you betcha!

Cheers...

Oh I like this! I like your other plate that you did too. Do you have a trailhawk?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got 4x4 Sport manual.
I am not fan of 9 speed auto.
My other car has similar skid protection which has proven to save expensive bits of hardware off the the road.
I am doing this for the same reasons.
I wish 4x4 design was a bit different with driveline tucked deeper up inside the tunnel.
I just have to work with what I got and make best of it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I got 4x4 Sport manual.
I am not fan of 9 speed auto.
My other car has similar skid protection which has proven to save expensive bits of hardware off the the road.
I am doing this for the same reasons.
I wish 4x4 design was a bit different with driveline tucked deeper up inside the tunnel.
I just have to work with what I got and make best of it.
I agree with you on that, I am not a fan of the automatic transmission either. So you are designing these plates based upon the location that jeep uses on the trailhawk, or are you going off of the not-as-strong factory plates that were on your sport? Or perhaps you are adding protection where there is zero protection at all from the factory?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TH isn't offered with rear diff protection. I foūnd it exposed to elements and in need of protection.
Only middle skid utilities OE attachment points. Front and rear will be attached via custom made attachment points

Cheers...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is slow progress, nevertheless rear plate is coming along.
Got 3/4 of it done.
Still needs LH side support fabricated and welded in place.

After LH support is complete, I'll grind outside to smooth level and apply coating.
You can see in the second pic I had to weld a tab to attach RH front support of the plate.

Cheers....

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nice!!! I took pictures of the rear cradle area for the intentions of having someone fab up a diff skid.. So if you're about making another 1, I'd gladly buy it from you ?????

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The rear skid plate is not easy to fabricate and attach to diff sub frame. The attachment points would have to be created as there are none from factory.
I have no plans on replicating rear skid plate.
I am just presenting my ideas to the rest of Renegade enthusiasts.
Final view of both skid plates.

Cheers...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Front plate is fitted. There is a gap between front radiator support beam and skid plate. I chose not to use it due to it being weak. And unless I relocate intercooler, there is no easy way to protect it. The research to relocate intercooler is in progress.
Front skid is made of 1/4 inch aluminium plate. It is supported by a U-shaped channel across frame extension tubes.
It came out ok.

Here it is secured.

Using countersunk hardware eliminates snag points and prevents damage to bolt heads.

Cheers...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.