Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like most of you guys I had been on this forum since the early days. I loved the look of the renegade but was very worried about the issues that may arise. My neighbor is a jeep dealer and I was there almost every weekend checking them out and asking him about any problems that were coming up.

He basically told me to wait 4-5 months to see if anything came up with the renegade, to try to avoid the issues that the cherokee went through. (he said he has owned dealerships for 35 years and never had a bigger problem than the cherokee release).

So I did and I went back to the dealer last weekend and he brought me into his shop to show me three renegades back to back to back on lifts with issues.

He told me in his own honest opinion it would be the smartest thing to wait or get another car for the time being.

He then directed me to the Mitsubishi Outlander sport. (which he also sells new.)

It has 8.5 inches of ground clearance, comes with a killer warranty and gets incredible gas mileage. I am averaging 28mpg in mixed conditions. The dagger to the heart for me was the fact that it came with awd, and 4wd lock with leather and heated seats all for 21,000 OTD which was a few grand cheaper than any renegade with the same specs.

I am disappointed in the outcome of not getting the renegade but I guess its better to be safe than sorry. I did test drive the renegade multiple times actually let me take it home for the night and I did love the car it just wasn't sitting well in my stomach.

For anyone having the same feelings about the renegade I highly suggest going and checking out the outlander sport as a alternative. I test drove the Juke, HRV, Rav4, escape and XV and this car had the best ride and audio which was important to me.

6year 60,000 mile b2b
10 yr 100,000 mile powertrain?!

I hope that the renegade will still be around when I need a new car next and they iron out the little issues by then.

Peace Out!

-MC

·
Registered
454 Posts
He told me in his own honest opinion it would be the smartest thing to wait or get another car for the time being.

He then directed me to the Mitsubishi Outlander sport. (which he also sells new.)

It has 8.5 inches of ground clearance, comes with a killer warranty and gets incredible gas mileage. I am averaging 28mpg in mixed conditions. The dagger to the heart for me was the fact that it came with awd, and 4wd lock with leather and heated seats all for 21,000 OTD which was a few grand cheaper than any renegade with the same specs.

Peace Out!

-MC
I highly doubt that with the specs you listed you will ever get out the door at $21,000. **** you couldn't do that 10 years ago with a Liberty. Tell you what, you find it with those specs, the TH worthiness, I will bow down and kiss a Mitusbushi salesman butt! **** I will even send you $100 for making the impossible.

As for me, I need to go take a break and find that pot of gold that freaking Unicorn keeps pointing me to.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I had to Google it also to see what it looked like. (Not that I'd ever like the looks of something better than the Renegade.) And yeahhhh...just not sporty enough though for me. Looks like a "tall" car.

But hey, whatever makes you happy!

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
Well the vehicle will make it to the end of the warranty, but will Mitsubishi?

That's the main reason I didn't test drive one. Had a mitsu in the past, have a good dealer locally that's very committed. They had to become a used at dealer twice to keep the location open.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OP, is that 2015, 2016? 5 or 7 passenger? 2.0 or 2.4? An ES 2.0 with leather/heated is quite a bit more than 21k so if you snagged one for 21k you stole it!
They are good vehicles and most rating services will concur. It is inline with most of the new small SUVs in that it is very sleek and car/suv like in looks. I hope you enjoy it and it treats you well.

You're on a Renegade forum so of course you can expect some guff. People who buy Jeeps want Jeeps. I drove a CRV knowing it was historically superior in many ways, but it was just boring. I looked at the Outlander myself, but comparably equipped to my Latitude, it was about the same price and I get EP with FCA so essentially saved more than enough for the Max Care contract which lets my Wife & I sleep well.

Happy soft, little dusty, maybe slightly pebbly trails! :D

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
The same can be said for FCA, have you looked at their history?
FCA is in much better health than Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi as a brand sold slightly more units in July than the renegade did. They have been winding down manufacturing capacity, and they gambled on electric and had it crash and burn. They are dropping the lancer, shutting down US manufacturing, and doing so with a lineup that will be 66% SUVs. If I go to their web page and click find a dealer, I get four within an hours drive. IF I click on show me the website for each of them, only 3 of four still actually exist. These three dealers cover a population of roughly 5 million people.

With FCA, jeep and ram are badges worth buying. With mitsu, they have been sold repeatedly, and at this point survived only because the Japanese government fostered a sweetheart deal. At least in the US market, Mitsubishi looks a LOT like Suzuki did before they exited the market. FCA might not be in the best financial shape, but they are bigger and can weather a bit more than mitsubishi can, especially in the US market.

·
Registered
81 Posts
FCA is in much better health than Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi as a brand sold slightly more units in July than the renegade did. They have been winding down manufacturing capacity, and they gambled on electric and had it crash and burn. They are dropping the lancer, shutting down US manufacturing, and doing so with a lineup that will be 66% SUVs. If I go to their web page and click find a dealer, I get four within an hours drive. IF I click on show me the website for each of them, only 3 of four still actually exist. These three dealers cover a population of roughly 5 million people.

With FCA, jeep and ram are badges worth buying. With mitsu, they have been sold repeatedly, and at this point survived only because the Japanese government fostered a sweetheart deal. At least in the US market, Mitsubishi looks a LOT like Suzuki did before they exited the market. FCA might not be in the best financial shape, but they are bigger and can weather a bit more than mitsubishi can, especially in the US market.
Good points, no argument there.

Don't forget, Chrysler / Jeep went bankrupt three times, they have been bought two times, systemic problems don't always go away.

Now they want to merge with GM, VW or some other mammoth company. Sounds like the "F"ox ("F"iat) is guarding the henhouse in order to stave off another bankruptcy.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Well the vehicle will make it to the end of the warranty, but will Mitsubishi?
The same can be said for FCA, have you looked at their history?
This is true for many brands. They said the same about Kia and Hyundai, but all three are doing fine. Which incidentally all three are the only ones with the biggest warranty. :(

Happy soft, little dusty, maybe slightly pebbly trails! :D
lol

TS

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Mitsubishi looks a bit boring. (The Citroën version of the car, the C4 Aircross, looks much better.) My biggest gripes with the Mitsubishi are however the driving characteristics and the steering. There's too much movement in the chassis through turns and the car understeers too much. The awd system is also much more simple than the Renegade's. So I would never pick the Mitsubishi over the Renegade, but to each his own.

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
Good points, no argument there.

Don't forget, Chrysler / Jeep went bankrupt three times, they have been bought two times, systemic problems don't always go away.

Now they want to merge with GM, VW or some other mammoth company. Sounds like the "F"ox ("F"iat) is guarding the henhouse in order to stave off another bankruptcy.
They are turning a profit and paying off their debt. They have officially inquired as to a merge once so far, with Peugeot IIRC. Everything else was Sergio talking in public too much. Their big problem isn't cash, it's time. They are running behind developing platforms and are approaching 100% likelihood of not meeting 2017 CAFE standards.

Mitsubishi essentially declared bankruptcy three times since 2000. One officially, two in a manner similar to the Chrysler forced sale to FCA. FCA isn't the cleanest shirt in the closet, but there is at least a reasonable chance someone will buy RAM and Jeep if they have to sell it off.

In addition to the above, at this point Mitsu motors is a segment in a company with a number of successful and floundering divisions. It's eating up profit. FCA makes cars, they have a choice of making cars and doing so profitably or going away.

They are also not constrained by the Japanese laws regarding mergers and sales, which are not geared towards rapidly solving restructuring issues rapidly. It is a MUCH more political process than in the US.

A decent chunk of the implications of the above is tea leave reading. It's largely my opinion about the state of the economy and the market.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's funny that I noticed this thread because my wife and I own an O.Sport and a Renegade haha. I bought the O.Sport for myself 2 years ago because I always loved the lancers and espically the evo after the 2008 facelift, but I wanted more capability than a regular Lancer and the evo was just not practical. Now waiting for the renegade my wife really wanted a more reliable car so we ended up with a caliber which was ok, but without the sunroof and uconnect was really bland to me (it was reliable though so we were blessed that it served it's purpose,) however when I found out that the renegades were at local lots about a year later I decided to go and look...which led to me trading my wife's caliber for our renegade. ...almost without her permission (I'm working on that part of a marriage.) I gave her the O.Sport because it has more options and I felt she would be more comfortable in, and to be honest I didn't know if I would like this, but now in my own experience I think it worked out great, the renegade has alot more power and I've lived without all those bells and whistles before, also the 4wd systems I think are tuned for two different things, the O.Sport can handle inclimate weather, the off-roading I have thrown at it so far; but where it shines best is putting it in 4wd auto and hitting the curves like a wanna-be rally racer. Now to the renegade, this little thing feels like it wants to climb everything (if I don't turn traction control off coming up my inclined gravel driveway it thinks it's climbing a boulder) and I believe it wouldn't give up until your in the ditch or tore the entire undercarriage out, most likely the latter. So to finish this lengthy post, I like the O.Sport because it looks and acts sporty in the right conditions and the renegade looks like a jeep and acts like one as far as I've dealt with mine thus far, so both are nice rides and I feel the comparison will ultimately be determined by what interests the person more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.