Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I'm new here. But I'm looking for advice. I have a lovely Jeep Renegade Night Eagle 2, which was a victim of a falling ridge tile from next doors roof in the storm the other night.
I'm waiting for a call back with an estimate from the garage (through insurance).. Is this a pricey job? (A pillar)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome aboard Clavin! 😎

My "guess" would be that they will straighten that, fill it, paint and clear. That pillar does not attach to an adjoining panel, therefore no blending, which makes it easier. That and a windshield replacement. Should be too bad.

Now if they deem the pillar to be too badly damaged, and requiring replacement, all bets are off.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
The windshield can range from not cheap to OMFG depending on if you have all the active crash avoidance bells and whistles. The pillar is where most of the cost is going to go, and it's a key structural bit. So not a great place for damage.

There isn't anything involving paint that is what I'd call cheap these days. I got lightly clipped while parked bya drunk driver. About $700 (US) of plastics and a bumper skin and it was still a $1600 fix after everything was removed, replaced, and painted. No sheet metal damage.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm interested to see how they fix it (if they do). What's a Rene worth once it's driven off the lot $10K maybe. I suspect my 2015 would be totaled with that structural damage. Modern A-pillars are a serious safety component. I can't imagine anyone straitening that and maintaining its design strength - for liability reasons. Anything short of cutting it out is unlikely in my estimation.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome aboard Clavin! 😎

My "guess" would be that they will straighten that, fill it, paint and clear. That pillar does not attach to an adjoining panel, therefore no blending, which makes it easier. That and a windshield replacement. Should be too bad.

Now if they deem the pillar to be too badly damaged, and requiring replacement, all bets are off.
As soon as I seen a knuckle in the A-post my thoughts turned to a write-off.

Your A post forms part of the safety feature for the car and unlike a panel or the front end etc being hit it's not quite as simple as straightening and filling it.

On a side note, Calvin you may be able to claim the householders building insurance. It may be declined as an Act of God and was unavoidable or it could be that your neighbour doesn't take care of the roof ie in a negligent state of repair.

That could mean your insurance won't be at fault.

·
Registered
421 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

One of the problems with the A Pillar is that there are a few layers of metal in them.

A proper repair will be to cut out the damaged area out splicing a new piece in.

+1 @rsanges & @puddlesplasher said.
That means 2 welds to put an insert in place. How do you weld up the internal layers?

Keep in mind that the "Cut and shunt" method of joining 2 seperate cars are simply welded together and they often break.

If an insert is a viable option then that may well be the way that an Approved Repairer may take but personally I would not be happy with any safety feature on my car being cut into, especially the A, B,and C posts.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That means 2 welds to put an insert in place. How do you weld up the internal layers?

Keep in mind that the "Cut and shunt" method of joining 2 seperate cars are simply welded together and they often break.

If an insert is a viable option then that may well be the way that an Approved Repairer may take but personally I would not be happy with any safety feature on my car being cut into, especially the A, B,and C posts.
It sounds bad, but if one of our Renegades has a MySky issue, they have to replace the WHOLE roof just to fix the sun roof. It would suck to have to replace the whole roof for A-Pillar damage.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If one of our Renegades has a MySky issue, they have to replace the WHOLE roof just to fix the sun roof. It would suck to have to replace the whole roof for A-Pillar damage.
It's about structural damage that cannot be repaired internally and not issues with a sun roof. It's about safety of life and how the impact of a crash gets diverted around the passenger/driver cage to protect you and I.

That "A" post is designed not to crumple to protect the people in the car and protect them as far as possible from dieing.

Your life is at risk for a garage shortcut. The garage will walk away when you die in a car crash and say "Well, hmm, the insurance company said it was Ok to do it". Then follows the lengthy litigations as the Americans call it.

Cut and shunt of any safety feature is NOT the way to repair an accident damaged vehicle.

Please do not tell people that a safety design feature of their car can be bypassed otherwise I have wasted 30 years of my life cutting live people out of Road traffic Accidents and it is not a pretty sight.

Any deformity of any structural item that pertains to a vehicles structural integrity is a reason to refuse a repair and to seek the payment of your car insurance for a vehicle that is similar in cost to the value of what your vehicle is currently worth regardless of how much it cost you to buy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested to see how they fix it (if they do). What's a Rene worth once it's driven off the lot $10K maybe. I suspect my 2015 would be totaled with that structural damage. Modern A-pillars are a serious safety component. I can't imagine anyone straitening that and maintaining its design strength - for liability reasons. Anything short of cutting it out is unlikely in my estimation.
Thank you - im STILL waiting to hear. I will update you when I know whats happening :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As soon as I seen a knuckle in the A-post my thoughts turned to a write-off.

Your A post forms part of the safety feature for the car and unlike a panel or the front end etc being hit it's not quite as simple as straightening and filling it.

On a side note, Calvin you may be able to claim the householders building insurance. It may be declined as an Act of God and was unavoidable or it could be that your neighbour doesn't take care of the roof ie in a negligent state of repair.

That could mean your insurance won't be at fault.
It's infuriating to be told by insurance its "an act of god". Sadly next door only had their roof fixed last year.. dont think it was done too well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's about structural damage that cannot be repaired internally and not issues with a sun roof. It's about safety of life and how the impact of a crash gets diverted around the passenger/driver cage to protect you and I.

That "A" post is designed not to crumple to protect the people in the car and protect them as far as possible from dieing.

Your life is at risk for a garage shortcut. The garage will walk away when you die in a car crash and say "Well, hmm, the insurance company said it was Ok to do it". Then follows the lengthy litigations as the Americans call it.

Cut and shunt of any safety feature is NOT the way to repair an accident damaged vehicle.

Please do not tell people that a safety design feature of their car can be bypassed otherwise I have wasted 30 years of my life cutting live people out of Road traffic Accidents and it is not a pretty sight.

Any deformity of any structural item that pertains to a vehicles structural integrity is a reason to refuse a repair and to seek the payment of your car insurance for a vehicle that is similar in cost to the value of what your vehicle is currently worth regardless of how much it cost you to buy.
I will let you know what the garage/ insurance say - i'm still waiting for them to come back to me. Thanks so much for your comments.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've never welded in a replacement A-pillar, but I can imagine the welds would be done in layers. It would be interesting to see a cross-section of the Renegade pillar. Let's just picture it as a tube within a tube. The inner tube would be exposed by cutting away the outer tube so that the inner tubes could be welded together unobstructed. Then the outer tube (cut to fit around the inner tube) would be welded in place. I bet the individual joints could even be lapped and some plug weld added. I imagine the actual cross-section is more complex but that's a general idea. Welds done correctly (with some lap joints and plug welds added) would probably be stronger than the originally formed part.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts