Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding some My Skys (Skies?) about 100 miles away, called a dealer 20 minutes down the road and was told they wouldn't be available to order til December. When I pointed out there were available elsewhere, suddenly they had one coming in. I know they sell a variety of makes and models, and the Rene is new, but I have found several dealers that don't seem to know much about the vehicle. I get they are not obsessed with it as me.

Anyway, went to that close dealer to check out the My Sky on a Sport - so it was manual. It was quite a show. After the 3rd salesperson came out to be consulted, I reminded them they'd need the key. Then I watched as they looked at the vehicle key, wondering how it popped off the roof. I told them it's a special key that looks like a Jeep grill. One guy said "we don't have anything like that". I asked, "What if I buy it today? I can't ever take the panels off?" Ten minutes of searching, key turned up.

I'm more interested in a latitude so I can get the power roof, but like I said, wanted to see how open the vehicle was sans panels. I then got a confusing email later in the day from the dealer, "If you get the power roof, only the front panel pops out, so it won't seem so open". Now I'm confused. I get the power panel slides back and can't be removed, but it still retracts fully, right? So with it retracted and the rear panel manually removed, wouldn't it be just as "open" as with both manual panels removed on the sport? Or am I missing her point?

Thanks, as always!

·
Registered
499 Posts
After finding some My Skys (Skies?) about 100 miles away, called a dealer 20 minutes down the road and was told they wouldn't be available to order til December. When I pointed out there were available elsewhere, suddenly they had one coming in. I know they sell a variety of makes and models, and the Rene is new, but I have found several dealers that don't seem to know much about the vehicle. I get they are not obsessed with it as me.

Anyway, went to that close dealer to check out the My Sky on a Sport - so it was manual. It was quite a show. After the 3rd salesperson came out to be consulted, I reminded them they'd need the key. Then I watched as they looked at the vehicle key, wondering how it popped off the roof. I told them it's a special key that looks like a Jeep grill. One guy said "we don't have anything like that". I asked, "What if I buy it today? I can't ever take the panels off?" Ten minutes of searching, key turned up.

I'm more interested in a latitude so I can get the power roof, but like I said, wanted to see how open the vehicle was sans panels. I then got a confusing email later in the day from the dealer, "If you get the power roof, only the front panel pops out, so it won't seem so open". Now I'm confused. I get the power panel slides back and can't be removed, but it still retracts fully, right? So with it retracted and the rear panel manually removed, wouldn't it be just as "open" as with both manual panels removed on the sport? Or am I missing her point?

Thanks, as always!
The powered front panel retracts like a regular sunroof, which means it opens about 80% of the way. But beyond that, you can also remove the panel completely, just like the rear one, and have two completely open holes in your roof.

The front retracts over the rear, so you have to remove both to get the full open experience

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is an overhead view when the front is opened like a regular sun roof and with both panels off

This is what it will look like from the interior

I would post pictures as I have ordered a Latitude with powered MySky but I am still awaiting delivery

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts

Thanks, as always!
I have not tried to take off the back panel AND slide the front one back, but I would imagine you can do that. But the front doesn't slide back all the way, as mentioned by Foobar above. Sorry, no pic of the front slid back.

I think many of us had the experience of going to the dealership and knowing way more about the Renegade than the salespeople. I had to show my sales guy how My Sky works.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts

Thanks, as always!
None of the dealers are very familiar with the Renegade yet, IMHO. The sales people and I were wrestling with the front MySky panel on our car and it took a while to take note of where the yellow latch piece goes when you put the panel back on. It also seems to help to jog the motor a bit when you reattach. That isn't covered in the manual. Nobody seemed to know what the L-shaped Torx key was for, I think it was the emergency crank for the MySky panels. One panel is slightly wider than the other. This makes it look misaligned. Ignore that. Check the other side and it will look the same. We found 3 small black sheet metal screws in a little plastic bag in our MySky panel bag. Nobody knows what that was for. I hope it's not important, I've already lost one!

·
Registered
116 Posts
my dealer too was not super familiar with how My Sky would work when I ordered it back in March.
So based on that...I went with manual option...as they could not explain exactly how the other would work.
Personally I would blame FCA for poor dealer training/information.
There were no booklets out on the vehicle at the dealer till May....my salesperson said he is just going on training on the vehicle some point this month.
So I think FCA dropped ball to large degree.

That being said I am glad I did get My Sky....had roof off this weekend...and was nice.
If I had fully known how the automatic version worked I would have likely gone with that....but it is what it is...and I am not unhappy with Manual

·
Registered
302 Posts
My salesman at Tubbs Brothers in Sandusky, Michigan has already been to training on the vehicle. He got to drive competitors models as well as put the Renegade thru a driving course which included a 19 inch deep water tank. He had a booklet about a half inch thick full of training materials and information on the Renegade which he shared with me. He was quite knowledgeable on the Renegade but then he described himself as a "Jeep Guy." I suspect salesmen will become more knowledgeable as they complete the training.

I have not ordered my Renegade yet but hope to do so soon. I'm going with the powered my-sky on a Trailhawk and hope it lives up to it's promise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My salesman at Tubbs Brothers in Sandusky, Michigan has already been to training on the vehicle. He got to drive competitors models as well as put the Renegade thru a driving course which included a 19 inch deep water tank. He had a booklet about a half inch thick full of training materials and information on the Renegade which he shared with me. He was quite knowledgeable on the Renegade but then he described himself as a "Jeep Guy." I suspect salesmen will become more knowledgeable as they complete the training.
Anyone wanting to see demos of this just go to Youtube and search for "Jeep Renegade Ride and Drive" and a few should pop up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm wondering if many dealers didn't focus on the Renegade since it was a late release for '15 and also most models were hard to find. Hopefully they'll be fully trained and people will start having better experiences once the '16 models are available. The first dealership that I went to I dealt with a very knowledgeable salesman but unfortunately he was unable to order one. The only dealership in my area that could even order one knew very little and the salesman didn't seem to care if he even got the sale or not.

·
Registered
454 Posts
But you can't see through them.. I've heard of glass sliding MySky in Europe but don't believe they are removable nor are they available in the US.
You are correct that there is no option in North America at this time for glass panels. Some future buyers are hoping it will be an option in 2016. I didn't feel like waiting that long lol. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. Shared the video with the dealer. Told me 'after a lot of research, turns out you're right. Want to order one?' I asked how much discount I get for them giving me incorrect info on the vehicle. Radio silence.

·
Registered
610 Posts
my dealer too was not super familiar with how My Sky would work when I ordered it back in March.
So based on that...I went with manual option...as they could not explain exactly how the other would work.
There were no booklets out on the vehicle at the dealer till May....my salesperson said he is just going on training on the vehicle some point this month.

That being said I am glad I did get My Sky....had roof off this weekend...and was nice.
If I had fully known how the automatic version worked I would have likely gone with that....but it is what it is...and I am not unhappy with Manual
More often than not it's the dealer's own fault. Especially on lower end products that yield lower commission. Having worked on advertising for a few brands, I know first-hand that a lot of training materials are created specifically for dealers. These are called dealer launch kits; usually a custom printed binder (not cheap) of 100+ pages of product and marketing information. The problem is the dealers often don't make use of the darn things. The way the US auto industry is structured, the manufacturer has little to no control or influence over the dealers... save for a few luxury brands who have the money and incentive programs in place to keep the dealers motivated and in line.

For everyone else, it's like trying to get a delinquent child to do his homework.

·
Registered
35 Posts

My salesperson said the same thing...I ordered in June and he was going for his hands-on training in July. He was pretty knowledgeable already though, having done his own homework in advance. He was a Jeep owner which helped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.