Jeep Renegade Forum banner

My Sky front hatch won't close

50K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Nev 
#1 ·
Opened the front panel about 2" but shortly afterwards it began to pour, so I tried to close the hatch. It opened all the way before trying to close. But it only tries to close not moving more than a 1/4" before retracting to fully open again.
I checked both sides of the tracks for any sign of debris yet found nothing. Tried closing it again but got the same results over and over.
Had to put a beach umbrella over the roof in order to crawl home safely without getting drenched over and over again.
Is there any way to manually close this hatch? It is my only means of transportation and if I cannot close the hatch I'll be crawling about with the blue beach umbrella atop my Jeep and loudly venting my anger to anyone curious enough to question the ridiculously dumb umbrella.
Thanks,
Angry Jim

#2 ·
Finally hours later I was able to close the panel. But it sounds weak when trying to close.
First try after rain stopped, it only closed 1/2 way and would not go either way, open or close.
Now the headliner above the visors is literally dripping water. I am totally disgusted with this Jeep. This is the second time it wouldn't close on command and now I am afraid to use it at all.

#3 ·
Ah damn. :(

I do not trust MySky at all.

The manual winder is above the middle seat rear passenger's head. Small plastic cover. You need a hex allen key, I think.

Clearing and re-greasing the rails each
side of the rear hatch is an essential twice yearly preventative
measure.

There is also a roof position reset procedure in the manual.

The cable drive motor is feable at the best of time. They already replaced one on mine after a year.

I hope you can dry out the headliner without water stains.

#5 ·
How has your situation progressed? I had something similar happen. The my sky kept not wanting to close and eventually seized. i attached what the problem is. From the looks of it the rail clip broke. I went to the dealer today to see what it would take to fix. The parts counter thinks that the entire rail system needs to be replaced? Not looking forward to that. The bumper to bumper just ran out in january.

Attachments

#6 ·
Have you had all your scheduled maintainence done at the dealer? If you have, maybe @JeepCares can help you?

#9 ·
@redraisersilva,
Have you been able to fix this issue, do you happen to know the part name or number. I am in the same situation and the dealer is telling me I need to replace the entire sunroof. I think is crazy that because a small plastic clip is broken, the entire sunroof needs to be replace.

#10 ·
I had this issue from time to time with a 2015 TH. When the mysky would start struggling to close I would open the mysky and use canned air to blow out any debris. Then use the key to manually close the mysky panel. The keyhole is located in the backseat in the middle of the roof panel. Pop the small circular plastic piece and use the provided key or an allen wrench. Mine did not come with the key so I bought a "swiss army" style wrench set and left it in the TH. I only had to do this one time and never had issues with it closing slowly or not at all again.

#12 ·
Broken clip in My sky

Can you tell me if you have had this fixed? I have the same Issue and I have a 2015 Lattitude - passenger side same bracket broken. Wondering if you could tell me if you did get it fixed the cost to fix it? I had taken it in when I had the warranty and they could not find the problem, my guess is that it was starting to fail then. Than you Danielle

#14 ·
Good day to all! A few days ago Ive bough trail hawk 2.4 multiair(34 000 km). Prvious owner tried to solve above mention problem through a official service, but yesterday I've found it INOP again. From my side I've sprayed WD-40 along the gutter and it's begun moving more freely. Question: Has anybody drawings of this system and what kind of lubricant can be used? I suppose it will stuck again in the first opportunity when I drive off road with a dust and a mud.

#19 ·
I just solved the same issue on my wife's.

Took me 7 hours of aggravation!

I took the front and rear panel off.

Hit everything in the tracks with compressed air.

Soaked everything with silicon spray from Home Depot

Wiped out the debris and caked on crap I found under and around the springs and tracks and moving parts.

Put grease on a Q-Tip and greased everything

Then it wouldn't go down the last inch!

Put all my weight on the back bar until it latched on both sides.

Then it wouldn't open again!

So I went through the re initializing process again. Voila

(re initializing process is... Hold the open button for about 30 seconds.. Let go for 3 seconds... Hit close button... Then try and open again. Worked out for me)

Also the manual /emergency close does NOT work for me. I can see the screw moving when it'd budge and inch then go back, but it wouldn't work when I tried with an allen wrench or a T25 torx

#22 ·
I just solved the same issue on my wife's.

Took me 7 hours of aggravation!

I took the front and rear panel off.

Hit everything in the tracks with compressed air.

Soaked everything with silicon spray from Home Depot

Wiped out the debris and caked on crap I found under and around the springs and tracks and moving parts.

Put grease on a Q-Tip and greased everything

Then it wouldn't go down the last inch!

Put all my weight on the back bar until it latched on both sides.

Then it wouldn't open again!

So I went through the re initializing process again. Voila

(re initializing process is... Hold the open button for about 30 seconds.. Let go for 3 seconds... Hit close button... Then try and open again. Worked out for me)

Also the manual /emergency close does NOT work for me. I can see the screw moving when it'd budge and inch then go back, but it wouldn't work when I tried with an allen wrench or a T25 torx

Good for you! The first time it jammed on me, when I drove home with the beach umbrella covering the open hatch, I tried the vacume and compressed air trick. Cleaned out the tracking and it worked . . . but I was afraid of opening it again. Eventually I began using it again, but it closed very, very slowly. Then, wham, it stuck open again. Even now after replacement, I am terribly cautious and avoid opening it. Now with the defective TPM, I'm ready to call it a Fiat, Fix It Again Tony.

#20 ·
Welcome to the forum Andrew Mac. Glad you got it. A 2009 Malibu did it for me with vehicles with holes in the roof. Had it fixed umpteen times only to have it soaked every time it rained. I had a real good deal on a Trailhawk Hawk recently but it had Mysky, I passed.

#21 ·
Just had the same issue tonight... went out to put some wd40 on the rails as it’s always been a bit temperamental and was sticking and then the roof got stuck open. I tried to reset by holding down the button which didn’t work, then pressed the button to try and open close a few times and a loud click/crack (I thought the glass had gone at first!) and now the motor seems to move but the roof is just stuck open.
Thankfully no rain forecasted tonight, but with garages closed at the moment I have no idea how to get the roof shut.
Anybody have any ideas how to close it manually?

#23 ·
Just had the same issue tonight... went out to put some wd40 on the rails as it’s always been a bit temperamental and was sticking and then the roof got stuck open. I tried to reset by holding down the button which didn’t work, then pressed the button to try and open close a few times and a loud click/crack (I thought the glass had gone at first!) and now the motor seems to move but the roof is just stuck open.
Thankfully no rain forecasted tonight, but with garages closed at the moment I have no idea how to get the roof shut.
Anybody have any ideas how to close it manually?

Sorry to hear, but I believe there is an underlying problem with the MySky tracking system that needs retooling.

#31 ·
Bought my 2018 Renegade used. Had to have the MySky replaced 2 months ago. For the same reason. A clamp on the track broke. Cost my warranty company $4000. Thankful I added that.

The last 2 times I have went to an automatic car wash the MySky will do the tilt option on its own and then I cant’t close it. The first time I thought it needed to dry out this time I had a 40 mile drive with lots of wind and it still won’t close. Please help? Anything I can do?]

#36 ·
The dealer will quote to repair, but clips are not supplied seperately by Mopar. Only as part of a full kit containing all tracks and other MySky components: ~€1800. Plus labour.

But you can buy the clips alone from AliExpress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.